Axle housing checks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Axle housing checks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Started a rebuild on a used Ruckstell I bought this summer.
The manual I have refers to checking the axle housings left and right for alinement and straightening however it doesn't explain the procedure.
Any suggestions?

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:22 am:

The only guy in my area that did it was Larry Blair, and they are closing his shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:25 am:

Dave there have been a few threads on straightening rear axle housings. You can find them by doing a keyword search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:50 am:

One of many links if you google your request with mtfca either at the beginning or end of your request.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/188344.html?1297335103

(Message edited by vwgary on January 12, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:51 am:

You need to talk to Glen Chaffin or buy his book!
His store/shop is in Corona CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:53 am:

A method I've seen for checking is to stand the housing on a level floor and set a carpenter's square next to it. If the housing leans toward or away from the square it needs to be straightened or replaced. Of course, you should check from four sides. Glen describes another way of checking on page 27 in the axle book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:19 am:

The way I did it was during reassembly. I know kinda late in the game when doing a rebuild but it was the only way I knew for sure. Had one side that was bent. I was able to straighten it in a press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:21 am:

Once again, Thanks Gentleman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

Dave (and others) below is a link to a post I submitted a short time ago. My axle and housing looked like Dave Fisher's picture above.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/798063.html?1507918251

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:33 am:

Dave here is what I did last fall:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/762844.html?1500181914

Itís Steve Jelf Mentioned with a couple of squares I was able to check to see if that axle tubes for Strait. I did it on a piece of marble counter top surface.

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:47 am:

I'm getting closer to tackling the bent axle housings issue. Thanks for all the input. In my case I don't have a lathe, wish I did.
But I think I may try and straighten using the heating method with maybe a bit of force. I can build a fixture to support the housing.
It sounds to me like the bend most often occurs were the steel tube enters the cast housing, but its not the tube that bends rather the cast housing? I had thought that the cast housing would be the last parts to bend, but that's not what I am hearing?
My axle when protruding out of the bearing end has a .400" discrepancy, so it has to move 200" to be on centre. It sounds like this can be done with heat and not a lot of force? Last thing I want to do is to destroy a Ruckstell housing.

Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration