Want one in your Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Want one in your Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Want one in your Model T Ford?

heater

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

I bet that little heater doesn't do a bad job either!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

Les and Darrel: I had one of those heaters in my 34 Ford back in the 50's when I was a teen ager in Missouri. Yes they did a great job of heating a car in the cold weather we had in Missouri. I was better on start up than the water heaters we have now because there was a very short start up time

Bill D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

Bill
Are you talking about the gal in the green dress of the other thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

In 1952, my father bought a "new Ford pick-up to use in his carpenter business. Heaters were options and being a Scotsman, dad didn't see the need to spend the money. (We lived in Rhode Island, winters are North Poleish) Later, the truck became my vehicle to date with. I just told you how cold it sometimes gets in New England but to add emphasis I need to share that it would get so cold that when we went "parking" I would have to scrape the INSIDE of the windshield before we could see enough to drive. I wish we had that South Wind then!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

The heaters are not hard to find. They must have sold millions of them. The hard part to find is the thin plate with the orifice in it that mounted under the carburator. I have one for an early six cylinder Chevrolet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

I had the nicest southwind I had seen since a was a kid that I bought about 4 years ago for a project car. I put it on eBay for $50 and 3 months later dropped the price to $25 just get it out of the garage. I would have though such a perfect one would have been sold quickly but apparently only I thought it was cool. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

Pretty racy image, her slip is showing, for the era!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

http://southwindheater.com/Home.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

When I was in college, there was an annual event in Manchester where the students had hand pulled carts with various scenes, which we took down Oxford St and badgered people for money for a charity, usually Oxfam. Well the year I took part, I was a cart puller and our scene was a jail with two girls dressed only in their bra and panties. Remember this was the 50s and when a picture appeared in the Evening paper my favorite Aunt was shocked to see me associated with such antics.
How times have changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

Sorry about the thread drift

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Somehow the idea of a gasoline fire inside the vehicle never appealed to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:21 pm:

A South-Wind warmed my BIL's IH semi truck engine. It started right up in the SEVERE cold. That's what they call regular cold nowadays. :-/
I had a 66 Bug and heat was... well... half ways. It worked OK.
My brother had a 62 Bug with a gas heater in it. Toasty. Wonder if it was a South Wind. :-)
Gads. Crooked eyes, stuff showing all over. I'm sure she's a nice lady... :-)
Susie's car is always nice and warm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Robbins on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:36 pm:

We just installed a NOS South Wind Heater in a Customers 35 Ford Pick Up at the shop where I work. Well It was just this past summer we installed it. I was amazed to see one still new in the box. They are pretty neat little heaters. Very odd how it pulls fuel though. Felt weird having to drill a hole in the top of the float bowl for it to pull fuel from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

I snagged a NOS off of e-bay several years ago, so they are still out there. The thought of a gasoline burner in front of your feet is a little strange, but it must have worked pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:11 am:

I grew up with one of these in dad's 39 Dodge pickup in Northern California where in 1959 we had 9 feet of snow and after dad shoveled it off the Dodge before it broke the springs we had heat in seconds and were toasty warm. When I grew up I spent the early 80's driving my own daily driven 1936 Dodge sedan with a Southwind and once again I was toasty warm in seconds in upstate New York. As far as safety these were used in bombers in WWII as well as many other aircraft. My Maxwell is a little too open and early to use one but if I owned a later antique car I wouldn't hesitate to install one and enjoy one of the best car heaters ever made.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 07:40 am:

In my misspent youth I had a Chevy Corvair that had a gasoline heater in it. You went from freezing cold to blistering hot in seconds. The trade-off was lousy fuel economy though. That thing really charged through the gasoline. My second Corvair had the standard air heater off the engine. It was lousy compared to the old gasoline heater.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 08:03 am:

All my daily driver vintage VW's had Southwind heaters in them. Beetles had them mounted next to the gas tank up front and blew down towards the passenger foot well. Busses had them in back opposite side of the battery and heat channeled through the center heating duct. They work extremely well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 08:16 am:

Gary,
Those VW heaters worked great- unless you were the passenger!
I had a beetle with one and it would scorch the pants and burn the knees of anyone sitting in that seat, but it sure beat relying on exhaust manifold heat exchangers to do the job.
I could go out after a 10 inch snow, start the car and turn on the heater then come back in 10 minutes to a completely snow-free car (except the free standing fenders).
I always thought it was a bit dangerous having that red hot heater sitting on top of the gas tank that in turn was right in your lap, but it did its job and then some!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 10:13 am:

The real question here is, why don't women wear slips anymore, if they did men would not need that heater!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Dale, The outlet of the heaters for the VW were round. I didn't bother to mention I had a deflector made so the heat was distributed evenly. I also had a cutout on the deflector with flexible pipe attached to a vacuum cleaner upholstery tool that I mounted in the center of the windshield. But I agree, without the deflector, it could get hot for the passenger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Mine was a Stewart Warner and had a 4x4 inch square outlet and no diffuser to re-direct the jet-like blast.
As there wasnt alot of room to maneuver your legs around it to escape. On the good side, you could bring left over pizza to work and at lunch you could re-heat it faster than a soon-to-be-available micro-wave oven could.
I had a camper bus with a gas heater in it too and that one was just great, nice even heat almost instantly.
I did eventually find an Eberspacher branded heater for a beetle with the round outlet and the deflector as you describe, but by the time I got that, I had a water-cooled truck with a heater core to drive in the winter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

I had a 1965 Square Back V W wagon with a gas heater. Didn't drive it very long. When at a stop sign the smoke from the heater exhaust was very thick rolling out from under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

I had a Crosley with a Motorola gas heater, real fancy, with a push button controller, but I was a dumb kid, and couldn't get it to work. Crosleys don't make much hot water. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Fist year corvairs had South Wind Gas heaters. After that they used manifold heaters.
The VW dealer in St. Paul would not sell a VW bus or transporter without a gas heater.
I had one in my 33 Ford and in 403 Peugeot.
The fire pot exhaust/smoke was sucked into the intake manifold on the old American cars. They only worked if the engine was running. There was no fire danger. The gas burned inside a steel container and only if there was enough vacuum from the engine. They drew gasoline through a tiny copper tube that went into the carb float chamber vent hole. It was a totally different setup on the Corvair and VW. They had an exhaust pipe and did not depend on engine vacuum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:01 am:

That ad should be updated. This is what she looks like now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:06 am:

My Brother had a VW ragtop with the Southwind heater. They were also used in some light twin-engined aircraft - The Piper Twin Comanche comes to mind. I agree with Steve Jelf - the idea of an open gasoline flame inside a motor vehicle doesn't appeal to me either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:01 am:

I've actually been contemplating one for my car, but I'm trying to stay true to the 1933-'34 era and it looks like South Wind heaters didn't come out until the late 1930s. I do love that ad, though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 09:43 am:

I had a South Wind under the back seat in a Cessna 195...........ran off the wing tanks.....I never was comfortable with the whole concept.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 11:32 am:

A person would have to be SICK of put one of those in a T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Heat? Who needs heat?

All you really need are layers of the appropriate clothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

With a South Wind heater there is NO open flame inside the car! None.
I have had three of them in my own cars. NONE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 11:16 am:

I gave some thought about this - with the ton of heat that comes up through the floorboard on the right side, I'm not sure 'd want an extra heat source. Maybe in the back seat... but the front has always been somewhat "cozy" in the winter, and pretty toasty in the summer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

I don't know...heat has never been a problem inside my touring...it's getting rid of it that gets to be a head scratcher. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

I had one similar in a 1963 Corvair, it got gas direct and not off the carb air intake.

It dropped my gas mileage from 30 mpg to 20 mpg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 01:11 am:

My Mom had a 1955 Plymouth wagon with a flat head six and a after market heater, got its hot water from a outlet on the engine head, The heater would be starting to blow hot air before She got backed out of the drive way. faster than most heaters Today.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration