Do ya think this part could cause a clunk sound on shifts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Do ya think this part could cause a clunk sound on shifts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Taken off a drive shaft this week, just a little bit of wear to the knuckle.

And, yes, it was riveted with a knuckle pin :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

Dan, that will definitely cause a klunk--when you throw it in the waste bucket!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Holy Smokes. Dan, was it that dry when you pulled it out, or did you clean it up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

Perfect for the ignore that noise and keep driving school of Model T maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

Holy Hannah! Even this junktard mechanic knows that's just bad.
Perhaps even nasty shuddering during the shift with good clutches until hook-up?
Zoiks.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:08 am:

Put a little graphite and saw dust in your grease

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 08:55 am:

Yikes ... that would make a hell of a noise. I might have something much better for free if you pay postage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Yes!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 11:49 am:

It's a clunker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Use thick grease and it will be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

All it needs is a little JB Weld. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Nice piece. Model Ts were rugged!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Falconer, Saskatchewan, Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

I found this one a year ago in the driveline of the car in my profile picture:

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 01:56 pm:

T original u-joints will run many many years.
Makes you wonder how many years the ones pictured were run. My Gramdfathers 24 coupe had one in it that was worn like the one in the last pic. Almost certain the rearend hadn't been out of the car since he bought it in 1942. I rebuilt the car and went through the whole drivetrain. That was around 5 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

It looks like a perfect opportunity to tell the wife that you need to empty a beer can so you can use the metal as as a shim.
It might even take 2 or 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

That's how worn the one in my 26 coupe was it shuttered and made a clunk before the repair and has no shutter or clunk now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration