New television show and the Model T - Magpies like shinny objects

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New television show and the Model T - Magpies like shinny objects
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 10:30 am:

New television show and the Model T - Magpies like shinny objects

So often reality TV and the available car shows include the high-end car.

From a 2008 Road and Track article celebration the 100th anniversary of the Model T.

"I got to wondering what a nice Model T would cost today. It's tough to shake the Pebble Beach mega-dollar mindset when it comes to vintage-car prices, but even so I was shocked to hear that you can purchase a very nice T for only $15,000–$20,000. " http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a14165/ford-model-t-100th-anniversary/

The AACA recently carried an editorial of the reaction of car show visitors hurrying past the row of Model Ts because they are "Just Model Ts."

And I think that is the rub. The Model T is not a high end classic that would be restored over and over to be best of show and carry a lot of press coverage.

Granted a shinny brass era car is attractive, but it must be remembered that there are a variety of Ts. But in the end when one thinks of a Model T it is the shinny car that attracts an on looker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 11:07 am:

They can keep their trailerqueens for me.
I'm driving my T's and have a hell lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

Somebody once said, “Variety is the spice of life,” and I’m sort of in agreement with that. -Sometimes I’m in the mood for a five-star restaurant and a $90 dry-aged, inch-thick steak and sniff-the-cork wine, served on linen tablecloths by solicitous waiters and waitresses (which I can afford maybe once every two years), and sometimes, what I’m really craving is a snappy Nathan’s hot dog with the works and a cold brewski. -Depending on the mood and occasion, one is no substitute for the other. -And that’s sort of the way I feel about antique cars. I enjoy drooling over the AACA, trophy-winning trailer queens, but certainly not to the exclusion of inflicting a little reasonable wear & tear on my humble daily-driver.

The market sort of settles the issue as far as which philosophy is worth more in terms of dollars, and the cars which consistently bring in the highest prices at the more dignified, upscale auctions are those fresh out of “nuts & bolts” rotisserie restoration which gets the car to look exactly as it did on the day it left the factory’s assembly line.

Unless the car in question has ridiculously low mileage, unrestored originality generally sells for cheaper and of course, it has an unpretentious charm of its own. -Certainly, the cars which have some patina, a little scuffed upholstery and wear on the pedals—and have no more than been routinely maintained with genuine, new-old-stock parts—have wonderful stories to tell and a “hang-the-expense” restoration erases all of that precious history. -While the auction bidders give the occasional nod to this line of reasoning, nevertheless, the big bucks will most often go to the ’63, Split-Windshield Corvette that looks and smells exactly like a brand new car.

Some makes and models really do lend themselves to the million-dollar makeovers and it would be rare to see a Duesenberg or Cord shown in less than pristine condition. -But that’s certainly not true of the humble Model T Ford. -Her charm is in her stalwart heart, however held together with bailing wire and duct tape, and her story is that of the common man who struggled against the adversity of a robber-baron age, held his family together as they hung on by their fingernails and scraped by through Dustbowl and Depression—and to whom the thought of hiring a chauffeur would have been to laugh. -That stuff was reserved for the Packards and Locomobiles.

But really, wouldn’t it be nice to own a 1911 Pierce-Arrow? -Darn right it would! -But you know what? -I think it’d still be more fun to drive a Model T Ford and not worry about scratching the steering wheel with my Timex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

This one always to attracts more of a crowd than the shiny ones.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration