New T owner (1916 Touring) wanting to say hi

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New T owner (1916 Touring) wanting to say hi
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna Germann, Los Angeles, CA on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:28 am:

Hello Forum,

I have been searching through the forum posts for several months now and finally feel like it is time to post and say hello to everyone.

My uncle (Paul Germann Jr.) owned a 1916 model T since the 1960s. It has been in a barn for about 20 years since he passed away. On a whim at his estate auction over a year ago, after learning of the T's existence and getting to drive it around a bit, my partner and I decided to bid on the T and keep it in the family. We just got it to CA from IN and are ready to get our hands dirty and learn a LOT.

This car is a bit "hillbilly" and we plan to keep her that way. We have already connected with the local Model T Club in Long Beach, CA and all I can say is What An Amazing Group!!! They have been incredibly welcoming, walked us through a few things on the phone, and we have enjoyed seeing their cars and learning a lot.

We do plan to add Rocky Mountain brakes (for safety), replace the wheels and tires (the spokes are pretty dry and cracked looking - 2 wheels have wood fellows, two have metal fellows -- not sure which one we are going to go with), make a top (it is currently 30+ year old burlap) and fix the seats (rat-eaten).

I will keep you all updated as we progress and once we "bring her to life" now that she is in CA (back in IN our friends had to jack up the back right tire to get her to start) and we want to give it a try with some model T gurus with us (next month at a local inspection, we will give it a whirl).

I would love to hear from any of you and know if you have any advice especially regarding our planned additions/work on the T.

Donna

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 02:38 am:

I guess I get the honor of being first to welcome you to the wonderful world of the T. Neat, neat car - glad you kept it in the family. I know you will get a lot of help & suggestions - I'll leave most to friends you will make in CA. My only suggestion would be to look into several types of brakes. The new rockies don't work well or perhaps not at all going backwards. There are several other options and you will get MUCH advice. Again, welcome - enjoy the car as I'm sure your uncle did!! Hope to see it in person sometime.
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:15 am:

Donna, what a great find. Glad you are going to keep it in the family. It has "that look", glad you're going to keep it that way. Be prepared, you're going to have a LOT of fun with that car. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:10 am:

Good for you. I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:16 am:

Donna,

Are those images of the T as you found it ?

If so - donít change a thing ......

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Hello Donna,

Welcome to the forum. Sure nice to have a new member with such a neat car. I agree with you on keeping it the way it is. What a great look!

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:51 am:

Hi, Donna -- Welcome to the forum and the Model T community. You have a great car to work with, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. You did the right thing by hooking up with a local T club right away. You'll get lots of help from its members. The "patina" look (a much over-used term), seems to be very popular with a lot of folks these days. Since this is your first T, take your time and learn all you can about them before making alterations to the car. You are correct that better brakes would be a good first step.

Again, welcome to the family, and congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:56 am:

Oh, and by the way -- Most of the questions you'll have will have been asked and answered before here on the forum, probably several times. The forum's search feature doesn't work very well, but Google does. Just go to Google and type in MTFCA and whatever topic you are wondering about, and you'll get lots of info at your fingertips. Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:58 am:

That is one more delightful way to enjoy a Model T. I imagine you will get all kinds of wonderful comments whenever you show it.
Thanks for letting us have a peek of it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Welcome to the family, Donna!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:04 am:

Hollywood will be calling! Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Very cool and welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Welcome, wonderful T!!! Great to have another unrestored in the mix. Keep posting more as you go. There are a lot of helpful people here too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Welcome Donna! I agree with Freighter Jim - Don't change a thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:21 am:

Hello Donna,

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the 1916 club (got one, too). Love that Touring. Hope to see it on tours.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

As we like to say around here, welcome to the affliction. You may already be aware of these, but just in case...

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Leave the body alone! Fix whatever needs fixin in the engine/trans/rearend/steering/frame and wheels.That ought to cover it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Looks to me as though it's all packed and ready to leave for a trip. Where ya goin'? :-)

Welcome to the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

Hi Donna and welcome aboard!

I'd resist the temptation of going too far. Good tires, brakes, wheels...yes, but that car looks so "survivorish" it's beyond belief. Even the burlap top HAS to have a story behind it. I think you'd get more attention leaving its appearance as you found it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Welcome Donna! I look forward to hearing more about your car and swapping Model T tips!

(Message edited by Dan B on January 14, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Welcome, Donna! As you build up adventures, please tell us about them. And I second/third/fourth - - - all the folks who are urging you to make it mechanically sound and leave the rest alone. It's gorgeous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Donna, You are going to love the LBMTFC. The are a bunch of fun loving people. Real supportive and VERY helpful. A great bunch to be around. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

Donna: Be real careful not to park to close to another "T" as they seem to reproduce and the sky is the limit. Make sure you have room for another because it will happen!! As the other on the Forum will "Been there, done that' and it will happen ,so it might be a good thing to be sure the storage is double padlocked!
Welcome to the "Affliction, and don't be shy about asking question, as there is not a question that is wrong! Been there and done that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

May I add my welcoming too Donna. Youíve already received good advice here so I wonít attempt to reiterate EXCEPT that I see from your picture that the brass radiator was painted black. Donít change it! This was popularly done Ďin the dayí to try for a more modern look. Itíll initiate a lot of fun comment. Youíve acquired a wonderful piece of folk history!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Anthony DeMiglio on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Welcome Donna! My family also has a 1916 t touring that has been in family since 1916! Enjoy! As I have been told many times Keep it as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

Welcome Donna,
Love your car!
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Welcome Donna,

Your going to love that car more and more each and everyday.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Welcome aboard Dear! The LBMTFC are a great bunch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

It was nice meeting you Donna over the weekend, welcome. Hope to see you both enjoying your T in the future

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna Germann, Los Angeles, CA on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Hello again to everyone!

Thanks for all of the "hello's" and input. Glad to hear we are not nuts for wanting to keep the car "as is" (excepting safety and functionality repairs). Can't wait to join in on tours!!! I will definitely keep you all posted and will try to review old posts before I broach a question to the group.

Donna

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration