Little OT Need help with Rats

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Little OT Need help with Rats
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Guys: I am having a Rat problem in some of my parts storage. Please do not say get a cat, snakes ect. I have more snakes than ever and they are not doing their job. What is the best posion to use. The rats eat DEcon like dinner mints. I was looking at some called Hawk??? Any input? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:29 am:

What about a DECENT cat?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Decon causes a rat to lose body fluid, and he dries up and dies. Hence, his carcass doesn't smell. If you simply poison them, or shoot them, the odor will likely be worse than the problem you have now.

If they're eating Decon and are still around, either the Decon is old, or there are more of them than you know and they are replacing the dead ones with new ones.

Hawk may be stronger, I don't know. But be sure whatever you use is a dessicant, not just a poison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:48 am:

living nest to swamp lakes with small dogs poison is an issue. I have found that the rat trap is effective all though some small birds have been caught.
By putting the set trap under an over turned plastic milk crate dogs or cats cant get in but the rats crawl through the hand holes and are caught.
Rats like wood piles putting the crates next to them works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:50 am:

Decon contains brodifacoum. Hawk contains bromadiolone. The EPA stopped some making of Decon while back and that is when I think it changed. Just want to know what others use. Do not we have some pest control people here? If they stink so what, they are in out buildings . I just want them dead. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:51 am:

Hawks will work, but an owl would be better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:51 am:

Google bucket trap. Works great and won't poison the other animals in the food chain. Use one in my barn with great success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:52 am:

This is going to be inside closed buildings. No pets or kids will get near it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:53 am:

I use the buckets for mice, never gotten a rat in one. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Bigger bucket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Dan,

Regional results vary as you go across the country.

I would call a local pest & varmint company to find out how they deal with the problem.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:43 am:

Dan : even if is inside , you DONT want dead rats smell all over !!! come on ! People can smell from outside for years . Make the buckets and have the pleasure of making sure they are dead .
Get amonnia $ 1 gallon from Dollar tree store and garlic powder. But i just heard that theyre using some kind of birth control ... and dont know what else it does .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Hawk worked in an old barn we had full of rats. They were everywhere and had tunnels in the dirt and I went out one night and shot 3 in about 10 min. Put out some hawk cubes and they would be gone the next day. After a couple weeks they stopped eating the blocks and I have not seen a rat in years. We found bits of the missing blocks in the tunnels when we cleaned out the floor of the old barn. Works for mice too.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:52 am:

I might add we never found dead rats and never had a bad smell other than what we had before we did this. Tom Kat or Tom Cat is the same stuff I think and costs less sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Thanks Bob. I am also looking at an A24 trap. Check it out. Thanks Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:10 am:

If your bait/poison (D-Con) is not in a bait station all the rats mice are going to do is take it away and stockpile it. This is the main reason that you see the D-Con disappear and you still have a mouse/rat problem, you are only killing the one that takes the poison. A bait station keeps the bait/poison in one location for all of the vermin to come and eat from.

We have had quite a bad rat problem in my neighborhood mostly because some of the neighbors exacerbate the problem that they know exists. On neighbor has 5 bird feeders, the one behind him hasn't picked up after his dogs in 10 years and has a pile of junk and a shed (sitting on the ground, no slab) right behind his garage, you can see the burrows and the rat runs coming from under the shed and the one yard next to him looks like an overgrown field, give a rat an opportunity and they will take it.

These are the 2 things that I have used for quite a while now, with great results:
https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/protecta-bait-stations

This is the bait for the above bat station:
https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/final-blox-rodenticide

This rat trap, while a bit pricey works very well. I have one mounted on the power pole in the back corner of the yard (where the 3 problem yards meet) and as of the first of the year, 211 rats in 18 months.
https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/final-blox-rodenticide

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:11 am:

That last link is wrong, this is the correct link for the trap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlwUXP-ubI

The A24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:55 am:

At the Chevy plant we had a trash compactor and soon the yard was full of tunnels.One of my fellow millwrights put a torch in a hole and turned the acct on.This worked very well and from then on a pest control company was called.While trying to chase down carbide for my headlites the old time hardware man told me people used to use it for ground moles.A little carbide then water and cover the hole!! Rats like to eat,so what is their close source of feed??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

Dan, rats need to drink, if there is not water readily available for the rats it is very effective to put poison in a pan of water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Dan Get a blacklight and turn off all the lights in the building and close the windows. Use the blacklight to follow the urine trails to the rats/mice nesting area(s) then concentrate your pest control baits or traps in those areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

Peter: That is the A24 was looking at. I was wondering how it stands up to a Raccoon attack. I sent that question to the seller. Waiting for a reply. How has yours held up? Thanks for the info guys, I will see what I can get to work. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

I am a licensed exterminator and have been for about 25 years. This has been my full time employment at a University and I also run a business.

Rats are difficult as they are "neo-phobic" or afraid of anything new in their environment so it takes a few days before they will approach bait or a bait station.

Pellet bait is not the best choice as they will move it in a so you don't know where it is or if has been consumed therefore block bait is a better choice (I use Contrac bait). Most baits today are "second generation" rodenticides and that means that they are not just anti-coagulants (that the animal can get sick and stop feeding then recover) but they are a single dose poison that has a second mode of action (ATP disruptor that blocks the energy transport system at the cellular level). The time of death is 3-5 days after exposure. As stated block bait in a locked and tamper prof bait station is the safest.

Baits may not work well if they have another food source so if they have dog food available, chicken feed, bird feed that should all be removed.

I had a dairy barn full of rats and actually had one jump on a persons back from the rafters. I could not bait as they were already living in the feed so shot and trapped them until it got hot and dry then put out water stations and dusted all the burrows in the lawns but both those methods are restricted and probably not available to you. I did get rid of all the rats but it took about a month.

Follow the label directions to be safe, you don't want accidental exposure to anything else. It takes persistence to get rid of rats because they are shy and smart.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Tim: Can a private person buy Contrac local or only off the net? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

Dan,
The A24 has held up to both squirrel and raccoon attacks (even got a couple of squirrels) without any problems. The trap is firmly attached to the pole and try as they might, it is still there. I know that the price is kind of a GULP moment, but it has worked flawlessly for me for a year and half and I am sure that it will keep on working.

The Contrac blocks that Tim recommended are also available from the website link in my earlier post, just shop around their site. Tim being an exterminator would know his stuff about what works. As a consumer I have used both the Contrac and the Final blocks (both made by the same company) and personally I have had better results with the Final blocks, so that is what I choose to use. The website, doyourownpestcontrol.com has always given me great service, always quick shipping, I recommend them highly (pest/insect/vermin control and herbicide products).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

I had a rat caught in a trap in the attic. I heard the trap snap during the night and went to investigate in the morning. The trap was not where I had left it and I heard something moving. I spotted what looked like electric wiring, but on closer inspection found it to be a snake which was trying to eat the dead rat in the trap! I have no idea how either the rat or the snake got into the attic but let the snake go outside and put the dead rat out in the field for the scavengers to get it. Snake was not poisonous.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Dan,

There is a law called FIFRA...federal insecticide, fungicide and rodenticide act that regulates the quantity that you can purchase legally in bulk not in a single locked station. I believe your bulk purchase is 4.4lbs but I buy in a 18lb pail (aprox $100). This is because consumers used to be able to buy a 4 pack of blocks but they were reckless with placement and pets and children could be exposed. I have used both Final and Contrac along with others and the "mode of action" is the same so either should work fine, look at the percentage of active Contrac is .005%.

Norman, I have also had that problem so when using a rat "snap trap" I usually drill a hole in it and tie it to something so if you get a bad catch the animal can't drag it away.

I also use "doyourownpestcontrol" and usually get free shipping and sometimes the prices are less than my local supplier. I don't worry too much about cost as my customers pay for it, not me. I like to keep the local supplier in business and can stop at the warehouse and pick up everything I need that day for whatever jobs I have planned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Thanks Guys. This gives me a way to go. This just may have saved some T parts from being ruined by rats. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

This guy's Youtube channel reviews various mousetraps.

https://youtu.be/wvWD-E-gbkk

The A24 mentioned above looks like a good option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

Tim Moore...

Would this be any good for Dan??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071D0DAG/ref=asc_df_B0071D0DAG5336387/?tag=hyprod-20 &creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0071D0DAG&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152392179&hvpos= 1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14965068328847140019&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl =&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002320&hvtargid=pla-304444552700

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

I have had good results at several different locations using a ultrasonic mouse repeller, rat dropping's that were all over the place disappeared right after I started using it, They are cheap efficient and get the job done with out the need for a mouse undertaker. they don't seem to affect my cats that just ignore them, only draw back they do produce a very high pitched warbling sound some people with K-9 hearing may find objectionable but out it the garage, barn or shop should not be a problem. They also work well in vacant houses and buildings which are mice magnets,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:42 pm:

David,

Not what I like as it is pellets and they will move it all over the building. You no longer know where it is and you won't know if they are consuming it. The blocks are about the size of a flashlight battery and have square edges that encourage chewing. They have a hole in the center to stack on wires inside a bait station so they can't fall out but you can also put a nail through the hole and tack then in the building and monitor consumption. Was that you Dave that I helped with a carpenter ant problem in a log house? Someone on here and we got it all cured over e-mails.

Jim, ultrasonic units don't kill a breeding population so even if they do make it uncomfortable for them (I am not a believer) they will continue to populate...a dead rodent doesn't breed!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 07:09 pm:

Amazed that T Model guys know so much about killing rats. Great post Dan. I didn't see a one on my last visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

I would rather have the rat still walking than have it crawl off out of reach and smell! No poison works correctly here.
I suggest an electronic trap. Not cheap but works well as it reacts faster than the rat can and zaps the rat before it can react to the mechanical movement of most traps ( no experience with the bucket method).

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

I just bought a new-used truck last month and have already spotted a hole where rodents are getting in under the windshield wipers. :-(
If I put something on the floor of the carport under the truck,like 1 of these stations, would the rodent go to that and then go sleep in my truck and die? Even a Hemi can't outrun rat stench. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

Tim,
Yes, that was me that you helped awhile back...Great advice with the product recommendations - problem solved. Thank you very, VERY much !
Yes - I did get the products from the Do IT Yourself people.

And yes, it was the Tomcat Blocks with the center hole I was thinking about.

I do have a couple of those "fake stones" in different places with some blocks secured inside...keeps the critters out of the garage and barn (so far).

Thanks for your time and advice.

Dave

(Message edited by adave on January 14, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

We had a large family of rats move in under our home. due to the new neighbors having chickens and horses and feeding them on the ground.

So We hired an exterminator and some $4000.00 later and a quarterly inspections at $450.00 we have finally eliminated the squatters. Because we have house pets we were limited in what we could use for extermination.

The exterminator used a number of traps, and outside bate stations. They sealed up the underside of our home with spray foam wire mesh. Turns out the little devils don't like foam so they won't chew at it. The outside bate stations were refilled weekly then monthly.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Get a Weasel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marvin turner on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

I had good luck with 5 gallon pail half of the way full of antifreeze with oats floating on top. Lean a couple of boards on it so they can crawl up and jump in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

When no one is looking at me that I know I buy a bottle of Coca Cola and put some in dishes around where the rats can get to them.
Rats & mice canít vomit or burp. It will kill them.
Dogs cats & kids will just burp and go on their way if they drink the stuff.
I have a black walnut tree and an English walnut tree which attracts rats.
The rats drink the coke and croak. The neighbors cats drag the rats away.
I have not seen a rat here in several years.
A friend had a rat problem in his big model A /model T shed.
One of those electric things that makes a chirping sound keep his place rat free for many many years.
Things go better with Coke!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

.22 short

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:21 pm:

I have used ONE BITE bars, for some years now, with good results. They are ready made with a hole all the way through, nail 'em to a board and the rodents cannot haul the stuff away. In about 20 years, I found only one carcass by the bait board and that was an ermine. He made a trip to the taxidermy. I'm thinking it's available on AMAZON. Or GOOGLE ONE BITE (onebite.com?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

I got another one last night! I had 6 snap traps set in the attic above our bedroom. About 2:30 AM I heard something jumping around in the attic. This occurred off and on the rest of the night. This morning I found a big rat about as big around as my foot caught in a trap. It was caught right at the neck and I don't know how it lived, but I put it out of it's misery. I think it was a pregnant female, so might have cut the rat population by quite a few.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration