First visit to Piquette, and a question they couldn't answer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: First visit to Piquette, and a question they couldn't answer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Had a very enjoyable first visit to the home of the Model T yesterday, cold, very cold but still enjoyed seeing it. I've been attending car shows of all types for many decades, and I was aware of early two pedal T's but I'm not sure I had ever seen one in the flesh so to speak so that was interesting. I don't recall seeing the early ribbed running boards before. And those very early tops sure had a lot of parts I didn't expect, many of them appearing to be forged. Lots of opportunities to simplify and reduce costs there.

I did take the guided tour, which due to the low temps was cut short on the top floor, to reduce exposure of our tour group to the elements.

As for the question the guide was unsure of, I noticed the 3 pedals on the N,R, and S, cars on display. I asked the guide if they were the same as a 3 pedal Model T. He thought they were but seemed a little unsure. Also, Rob Heyen was kind enough to give me a spin around the block in his K last summer in Lincoln Nebraska, and I seem to recall his K was a two pedal/two lever car.

Can someone enlighten me about the controls of the letter cars which predated the T?

As for the visit, if you have even a passing interest in T's or old cars or history it is a must see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

I agree, it's a swell joint, with lots of neat early cars and other stuff to see. I'll go again the next time I'm up that way.

#220 December, 1908

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

On NRS cars one of the pedals is the emergency brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

Steve, thanks for the pic, that's the car of which I was looking at the top structure so closely. Quite elaborate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

Gary,
The K and NRS are essentially the same, except the right third pedal on the NRS is the service brake (brake shoes) while the K has a hand lever with ratchet for this brake. Left pedal on all four models is reverse, and the center (right on K, with two pedals) is the transmission brake.

I like the brake on the lever on the K better, for a few reasons. More leverage, and the ratchet system on NRS seldom works or can be trusted to hold the brake on. Also, I can use both the transmission and service or emergency brake on the K at the same time. I guess one could use both feet on the two pedals of the NRS. Bottom line, just like a T, depress any pedal and the car will slow down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:57 pm:

Rob, thanks for the response. So a 3 pedal T is not the same. Reverse on a two pedal T IIRC is actuated by a lever, correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:08 pm:

Gary, yes as I understand it, a three pedal T is a whole different critter.

I've not had the pleasure to drive one, but I believe the reverse lever is just that. I don't know for sure, but I think you had to pull to nuetral with the brake lever, then could pull the reverse lever just as if depressing the reverse pedal in a later T.
I don't know for sure, so this may be incorrect......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:30 am:

Gary,

First, I'm not correcting anything Rob stated, as it's all correct.

To sum things up with the NRS cars, pedals from left to right are: Reverse - Transmission Brake - Parking Brake, (which is locked in place with a ratchet that never works). Low & High speeds are controlled by the lever on the side of the car. So, yes, it's different than a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

It sounds like, from the description, that the two pedal two lever T would be easier to drive and perhaps more fun? Are there any people out there that have had the pleasure to drive a two pedal two lever T?
The trouble I have is the difficulty in pressing the center reverse pedal. How completely awkward it is! Granted I have a wide foot but, how narrow were peoples feet back then?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Balough on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 05:31 pm:

Lets throw this in, the throttle is in the left side of the steering wheel and spark advance on the right side on the NRS. You have to reset your brain and not do what come natural after driving a T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration