1913to 1926 engine swap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1913to 1926 engine swap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

I am swapping the engine in my 1913 T to a 1925/26 engine. It has already been switched to a distributor. What problems might I incur? Also, can the foot pedals from the 13 be used on the 26 engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

I assume this is for adding a starter and generator. That will call for a later hogshead. I believe the 1919-1926 hogshead will take your pedals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Robert if you are going to use the 13 transmission. then keep your 3 dip oil pan the 4 dip pans are not as strong and may allow a little flexing between the transmission and the engine ( this is the reason the 26/27 hogshead bolts to the back of the engine. I am not totally sure if you can just swap the 13 pedals into the 13 hogs head but others with more experience will reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

I meant into the 26 hogshead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Robert, I just installed a 1927 engine and trans into my 1914. I changed the pedals from a 1923 hogshead. I could have used the 27 pedals but it would have been a little tight in-the 14 for me. Floor board fits fine. Also the timing cover had to be changed because of fan adjustment. The timing cover was also from a 1923 engine. Very satisfied with the switch.
Tim Franko

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

I have to ask why ?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

I am with Rich on this. Why not change flywheel and hogshead. Add starer and flywheel ring gear then you can hang alternator off the top of engine. To change back replace aluminum hogshead you are good to go. You may have a better idea or a engine situation. I did this and it worked quite well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

I do have the 26 Hogshead still attached to the engine. i could use the 13 hogshead if that would be better.. Both engines are complete so I can swap whatever may be necessary.
Rich, I plan to keep the original 13 engine in tact and safely stored but for now I want the car easier to drive and to share it with other family members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Warren and Rich, I need to rebuild the 13 engine and the 26 has been rebuilt by an old mechanic who would have been 100 last March. He had planned to install it in the 13 but didn't get that done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Even if you did not swap the pedal you could make temporary floor boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Good looking 13. If you put a starter on it. It will be necessary to trim the firewall where the starter mounts to hogshead, not much probably a couple of inches. I believe all things being equal I would do what I suggested earlier and keep 13 block etc in car. Paint the hogshead with aluminum paint and you will look 90% original. Good luck,you have a very nice touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

Use rebuilt 26 unit and put on earlier hogshead. 25 type hogshead I think would do the job for you. You would be using only the same amount of brake drum space as the 25. The additional added drum width would really not make operational difference. The first 25 touring I owned had this set up and worked well til I sold it. Ideas. With the 25 type hogshead the floor boards could stay the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 12:56 am:

I have a 23 starter engine in my 14. The most serious problem is the head of one of the starter bolts touches the bolts head holding the firewall. My solution was to weld the two nuts holding the firewall supports to the chassis. Otherwise those two bolts are a bitch to install.
I had the same problem putting a starter engine in the 15 Speedster. Used the same solutions.
I also believe the pedals on the 26 hogshead have a different spacing than earlier, so the floorboards may need changing. I believe you can put the early hogs head on the 26 but you may have problems using the wide Brake band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Thompson on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:24 am:

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will check all suggestions out. I am new at "T' ing. I do know that at my age (bad shoulders) I do not want to crank to start it. I have it all apart to refurbish it and thought with no body on the frame now would be the time to put the newer engine in. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:12 am:

As Tony suggests above, putting a 13 hogshead on a 26/27 transmission may not work. The 26/27 transmission has a wider brake drum. The 26/27 hogshead has a "bump" in it to clear that drum, earlier hogsheads do not. While it MIGHT just fit, it would probably be a real bear to change bands. Also, not sure that the pedal shaft locations would come out right.

If not also mentioned already, I believe your 13 firewall will not allow clearance for the starter.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration