Old and new Stockbridge Ma

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old and new Stockbridge Ma
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

My home town. Just down the street from the other photos, and just before installing my salesmen box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza north Adams ma on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

Summer in the Berkshires! I canít wait until itís nice again. I also canít wait to finally start and get my speedster up and driving! This is going to be my year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

What are you planning to sell from your box? I have a lot of experience selling from the back of a T. The box on my 1919 T unfolded to reveal a stage and backdrop for selling Lenape Liquid (snake oil.) Taken in Kutztown, Penna back around 1988 before the gates opened at the Kutztown Folk Festival.

Med

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Step up pilgrim ! Let me shake your hand. Come gather 'round while I go into my dance. Just look at this bottle - see how it gleams ? Step up children, let me sell you a dream ! You got the dropsy ? You got the blues ? This bottle will cure what's wrong with you. Female complaint ? Low self esteem ? Rub it in your hair instead of brilliantine ! I stole it from a Piute medicine man. It'll cure the sniffles, it'll cure gangrene - here it is people, let me sell you a dream ! 'Cuz the Angels use it to polish the clouds. Satisfaction guaranteed, I'll shout it out loud ! Some folks say nothin' is what it seems, step up people, let me sell you a dream !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Yes, very much like my pitch .... though an East coast version. In Eastern Penna we have the Lenape nation. Google Mark Osterman / Dr. Bumstead Celebrated Lenape Liquid Show. We performed for twenty years out the back of that T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

I've looked up Dr. Bumstead before, and enjoyed it much, Mark ! I'll bet you had a LOT of fun with that gig !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:47 am:

Ahhh Stockbridge, nice town, a friend of mine lived there long ago, had a studio on Main St.

Is the mill still there, was a crumbling ruin last I was there or did they tear it down? Got the feeling that it wasn't the sort of town to tear things down though, even that old ruin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Too bad they removed the big old light fixture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza north Adams ma on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:43 am:

Stockbridge really doesnít change anything. Most everything is in excellent but old condition. It is the home of Norman Rockwell and just a beautiful little place in the warm months. Itís town resistant to change and still does not have one traffic light. Getting through the center of town during tourist season can be dicey! But to sit and have a coffee along the street on a Sunday in the summer is pure relaxation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:21 am:

It's also nice in cooler weather. Spent two nites at the Red Lion in Dec, '17 after collecting T parts from Spencer in CT. (We enjoyed poking around N Adams too.) jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:42 am:

Is this the 18th Century replica village showing what working and living was like in the Colonies (or early United States) in the 1700's? If so, I have memories of visiting it in the early 1950's when my father was stationed at Westover Air Force Base outside of Boston during the Korean War. I was a rambunctious little snot and was apparently not in keeping with the decorum of the village. My mother showed me the punishing stocks (pillories?) and said that if I continued to misbehave (i.e., be a 4 year-old), she was going to lock me up in there for the rest of the day. I don't recall suffering that fate, so I must have straighten out my act. Too bad more parents don't keep their kids in line like that today instead of allowing them to run up and down restaurant isles, screaming, while the "adults" talk among themselves, seemingly oblivious of their children's poor deportment in public. Well, they weren't raised any better, so what can be expected of Jerry Springer America? Maybe we need a few more pillory stocks these days - with rusted locks?
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:07 am:

That's Old Sturbridge Village located about an hour's drive to the east of Stockbridge. Nice place too. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Thanks, James. We left Massachusetts in 1955, so my memories of geography as a five year-old at the time are a little hazy. As an adult now and history buff, I would LOVE to see Old Sturbridge Village again! It just wasn't a good place to take an obnoxious four year-old brat like me. Maybe someday my wife and I will put a visit there on our bucket list. I surprisingly still have many memories of that day in 1953 or 1954, such as going into the shops and watching re-enactors demonstrate various ways things were made in the 1700's. Considering I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, recalling such sights 64 years ago ain't too bad!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

Marshall: Old experiences are like Model T's, they often create more permanent memories than what you recently had to eat. Just remember to not totally give up eating! All the best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Where is a photo of Alice's Restaurant?

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

Aliceís Resturant was a small space just off the Main Street. Not much to look at from the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 07:29 pm:

Next year my T might be in the picture

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration