Tim Moore Coast to Coast, any updates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tim Moore Coast to Coast, any updates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Tim the last we heard your Ford model T was arriving in the UK mid December. Has it arrived and was all well? Is the book still on track for the publishers March submission? I really can’t wait to see it hit the shelves. Best to you and all the members involved for providing a grand experience that I lived vicariously through your updates.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/752135.html?1498858636
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/769226.html?1500331120
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/772937.html?1501470613
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/776901.html?1502848538
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/781024.html?1503721068
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/784217.html?1505322904
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/789472.html?1505392537

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

Thanks for compiling the links. Enjoyed every minute of Tim's journey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:48 am:

Greetings all! Wow, extreme radio silence - sorry about that. Seems that books don't write themselves. How very inconsiderate of them.

Anyway... the T has indeed crossed the pond. Now in Neil Tuckett's very capable hands up near Aylesbury, which I drove through the snow to yesterday for a visit (bet the poor car didn't see much of that during its 51 years in Texas). Neil's a top chap and a lifelong T man - indeed one of the foremost experts this side of the Atlantic. I drove my first T around his farmyard a couple of months before setting off...

It'll hibernate there while I finish the book and engage the vehicle-registration authorities in attritional combat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Tim,,

Great to hear from you. Wishing you well in your writing. Be sure to dot your "T's" and cross your "I's". Throw in a few commas too, people like those! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

Tim - You said,....."Neil's a top chap and lifelong T man". Boy!!! You've got that right Tim! Neil and his help treated my son and me like long-lost relatives a few years ago when he gave us a tour of all his facilities, and Model T "inventory" In N. Marston! Is the "Golden Rod" still there? He and his guys actually rolled it out of storage to show us when we were there.

For those that don't know, the Model T "community in England are not divided up into local chapters of one or more national clubs like here in the U.S.A. In England (maybe all of the U.K.,...I don't know) there is just one organization,...The Model T Ford Registry, and I believe there are in excess of 700 members! And of that huge organization, Neil Tuckett is pretty much, as Tim Moore says,...."Mr. Model T" in the U.K......FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Tim,

I enjoyed reading your adventures last year. Have you driven your car at all in the UK?

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 07:57 am:

Looks like Tim's book comes out in a few weeks. I know some were upset about the subtitle and inclusion of politics in the book, but if I had to do it again I would still help Tim out and I'm sure the countless others who did would also do the same.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/authors/tim-moore-6000-mile-road-trip-trump-he artland-93-year-old-ford/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

Peter - I think damn near everyone on here still would have helped him out (regardless of his agenda) if he had been honest and forthcoming; that is EXACTLY why his subterfuge is angers a lot of people who do not like being played for fools. I have no use for the guy now and certainly no interest in his book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

Amen Ron.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

A controversial Model T book? Interesting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

There are very few shows that you can watch on TV now or books you can read that do not have two strings of activities intermingled through the story.

This is just a modern writing ploy and does not necessarily represent the politics and views of the writer or producer, although it often does just that very thing!

I recently read the Silver Streak, a story about some girls that took a summer tour every year in a Model T Ford. Perhaps less than half the book was actually about the girls and their adventures, the rest was a local history lesson mostly about the politics that were happening during the tour times. I still enjoyed reading the book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, October 27, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

You got my curiosity up, so I checked Amazon to see if it is available there yet.

Either Tim Moore is a very common alias for authors, kind of like anon or he is rather prolific and successful, so this book will probably be a success anyway.

book

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

I have this book on pre-order but I am Canadian. Not sure why it’s assumed that this book is a loaded political criticism, but I will read it and let you know. Maybe, whatever the original outline for the book was, it is a realization that regardless of who we are, that people in a foreign country will help and encourage a stranger that needs them. And if I don’t think it deserves space on my bookshelf, I will pass it on to the local charity bookstore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Is politics really in the book or just referenced somewhat in the title? I was not one that helped Tim as he was not in my area.
I am indifferent about the book/title. I followed his journey on the forum posts. I imagine everyone is po’d because our current President comes across as an idiot and doesn’t want our country associated with him? I didn’t vote for him, in fact I didn’t vote at all as I didn’t like the candidates. None of this even matters.
I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and his journey sounds a lot like some very early automotive pioneers. With all the breakdowns along the way.
I am not saying I approve of his choice of title. I certainly would’ve chosen something different!
Would feelings be different if it said, Obamaland?
Just trying to understand everyone’s viewpoint from a fellow Model T enthusiast.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

As usual the Model T is depicted as a lowly broken down car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

To me, seems like a dumb move to include politics into a Model T book title. Angering 50% of your future buyers doesn't work out to be a great sales tactic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

I think it is safe to say that people in other countries do not view us as we view ourselves. Their opinions are formed from watching our movies, TV and news.

I'm sure Tim arrived in the US with many preconceptions but I bet he came away believing that Americans as a people are some of the finest on the planet. He certainly found lots of help and friendship along the way. I can't blame him for being curious about what makes us tick.

We do have our differences, unfortunately made even more obvious over the past few years. To outsiders, the differences may be all they see. Fortunately, there is more to each of us than simply the things we disagree about. When I've needed help, no-one has asked me who I voted for....

I'd like to read the book if it becomes available in the US. What I read so far is...interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

Insofaras Tim drove it like a Madman, the T did indeed spend a significant time broken down. As someone who helped Tim and had a chance to meet his wife, as well, I can tell you that he is a clever and charming guy, (with an equally charming wife) as befitting a political/comedic/adventure writer. It's his book, written to sell to a non-US audience, so my guess is that not surprisingly, it will be written to sell. Se La Vie.

If any of you breakdown in my area, I'll help you, too, regardless if you care for my president or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Tim Juhl, An old Scottish blessing: "O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us!" (Proper spellings per Google) (and for those not familiar with Scottish folklore, the "giftie" is like a Leprechaun that bestows gifts, such as wisdom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

I’m not sure you can judge it by the cover, I found it interesting following him. Looks like amazon will be releasing it on Christmas, I think I will read it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

So, Wayne, you're saying Tim Moore is a leprechaun ? ; - )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

This link has a sample to read. I think it's pretty good, I'll buy it when it's available

Book Link Inserted by Chris

(Message edited by modeltbarn on October 28, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

Rich B. Tim Moore a leprechaun? I hadn't thought about that!
:-)
I would like to read his book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 11:41 pm:

The Scottish line is from
To A Louse
On Seeing One On A Lady's Bonnet, At Church

by Robert Burns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, October 29, 2018 - 12:09 am:

Very thoughtful! Emm, this thread and the responses, that is! :-)
I'll read it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl - Michigan's Thumb on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Wayne,
Cha robh faclan fiadhaich riamh air an labhairt (truer words were never spoken). What your blessing implies goes far beyond the scope of this discussion. I think we all try to present a certain "face" to everyone else but don't realize that others don't necessarily see us as we imagine. Only by really getting to know someone can you discover the true inner person. I've been married 46 years and my wife still surprises me from time to time...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Chuplis, Coatesville, PA on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

"By Willis Jenkins on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 04:36 pm:
Is politics really in the book or just referenced somewhat in the title?"

From the sample:

‘Can I (Dennis) ask you honestly what people in Britain think about Trump?’...

(Yada, yada, yada...)

‘Well, as you’re asking honestly, Dennis, I’d (Mr. Moore) say that by general agreement in my country, Donald Trump is an embarrassing stain on the fabric of the universe'

[End]

No politics at all - just stock theatrical cable news except Tim forgot to blame Trump for setting his car on fire and praise Jimmy Carter for his small part in the repairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

Tim's book is already out, I got my copy yesterday (a gift from my wife).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Well - I've been checking the thread where the controversy kicked off in the summer every few days (with a creeping sense of dread) and never found any updates... and only now do I find this one!

Yesterday I posted copies of the book to all the guys on here who helped me so very generously - so Peter N, Scott and all your fellow Samaritans won't have long to wait to work out if they want to shake my hand or chop it off (Deke - was going to send you one next week, but now it's too late!)

I'm relieved and grateful to see that the discussion this time around seems more considered than it was in the summer. As I said back then, I deserved the comeuppance really.

Anyway - here's a link to the most thoughtful (and longest) review I've had so far: https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books/book-reviews/a-humbling-trek-acro ss-trumpland-37556739.html

In the mean time, thanks again. Seems like a long time ago, but what an unforgettable adventure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:51 am:

Thank you, Tim. Very kind of you.

regards,

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:56 am:

Tim: Ordered my copy last week, hope to have for Christmas. Best regards, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:57 am:

It's quite an insightful review. It makes me want to read the book. It also makes me want to drive my Model T across the country. And it gives me a greater appreciation for the many and varied people who make this forum work.

Tone deafness can be a fatal flaw. I've long thought that Hilary threw away her chance to be president by dissing half the electorate with her basket of deplorables remark. Whether that result was good or bad, we won't really know for a while. Meanwhile, each of us has his or her opinion, and that's as it should be. I just wish we could discuss those differing opinions with mutual respect and some effort at empathy on all sides.

Now I can have at least half the forum readers calling for my head on a plate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Schultz-Rathbun on Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

I'm currently reading "Ford Model T Coast to Coast, a Slow Drive Across a Fast Country" by Tom Cotter. Two guys driving a '26 speedster (Rajo head, four wheel brakes, lowered suspension) from New York to San Francisco along the Lincoln Highway. Good travel book with great pictures. It's a lot about the route, the scenery, the people, and the food they find along the way. No mention of controversial politics that I noticed. A good read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

I just received my copy from Amazon UK---a paperback shipped from Germany. Looks like it won`t be available in the US until Feb. A GOOD read! His "mission" was to travel the RED States and try to understand the Trump "phenomena" but really a well researched book with much interesting info on Henry and the Ford "phenomena" too. Well written and funny with much entertaining Model T stuff as he makes his way across little known parts of America. Very positive and grateful references to MTFCA and its members! Don`t miss it!! Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 10:38 pm:

John T. Thanks for compiling the links all in one place. Great read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 04:34 am:

Sorry Paul - you'll be getting another copy in a few days (I posted one off on Sunday)! Many thanks for those extremely kind words, I can't tell you how pleased/relieved I am to hear them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

Tim

Imagine where you would be right now if I had chosen "solvent" years ago. :-)

A benefactor gifted me an early copy with the promise to pass it on when I am done. Indeed I will. To those who chose to be insulted by it, before it was even published, please reconsider: this is a laugh-out-loud book which will also teach you a thing or two.

Bravo Tim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

I've found it rather mystifying how "obsessed" (probably too strong a word) Europeans tend to be with American politics, while for the most part, we are oblivious to what goes on in Europe. A humorous look at ourselves should not be cause for rancor, but a pause with a thought for mutual understanding. Laughter is the best medicine. I hope to get a copy of your book, Tim. A recommend from Scott goes a long way with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Ha ha, thanks Scott! You're a sport. Really appreciate your appreciation. And thanks to you, Rich. Funnily enough the only British political event that had registered with most Americans I met was Brexit - which they generally thought was splendid but which to me seems an idiotic shot in the foot...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, December 07, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

I find it interesting that someone in England used to send me and others a lot of newspaper cartoons that were judged unfit for American papers when Obama was president, but now I don't get them anymore.

President Trump appears to have some friends in England and Europe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, December 10, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

Hi Tim,

I emailed with Bob Kirk's daughter Donna Harrison:

Hi Anthony, I got your call asking about dad. He is good considering how old he is at 94. Everything is just wearing out. He is in good spirits. I told him you had called and he was wanting to know more about what has been happening with his model T he sold. Talking about the model T’s always gets him excited. Someone from the club had looked him up and visited him this past summer. That really made him happy. He has trouble hearing even with hearing aids and seeing even with glasses. This makes it hard to communicate on any level. Thanks for sending me the Flivver Flash for him. He always lights up when he see it. Thank you for asking about him.
God Bless,
Donna Harrison

If you don't remember me, I was the guy that broke and then fixed your moto meter glass in League City, Texas. I had tried to get you and Bob Kirk together but unfortunately he went into the hospital that same day.

Donna and I would love a copy of your book to read and share with Bob. Private Message me (above) when you get a chance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 06:22 am:

Thanks Antony, that is so good to hear! Please do pass on my very best wishes to Bob. Such a shame I couldn't meet him that day.

You have an email re books!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Monday, December 17, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

Tim, I just got my copy of your book and look forward to reading it. Ron got his the other day and it really lifted his spirits, he has spent quite a bit of time in the hospital recently, but appears to be on the mend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 - 04:09 am:

Thanks, Dennis - good to hear from you. Sad to hear Ron has been in hospital. Do pass on my very best wishes to him. What a legend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Wednesday, December 19, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Hi Tim,
Got the book yesterday. I am looking forward to reading it during the holiday break next week.

All the best,
Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Schultz_Sheboygan,WI on Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

I received my copy of "Another Fine Mess" tonight. Looking forward to reading it and see what Trump land is all about in a model t.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Toyne on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 02:26 am:

Thanks Tim I received my book the other day. Haven't gotten to my part yet,but so far it is an interesting read. Everyone is asking to borrow the book even though I suggest they get there own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 09:01 am:

My copy arrived last week, now under the tree waiting to open on Christmas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

Tim, my book came in the afternoon mail.

I have only read the first two chapters.

Your descriptions of events are very complete.

As a long time history buff, I like the historical tie ins.

I think it will sell well!

I like it!

Thank you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 09:09 am:

Really enjoyed the book!
Clearly Tim put a lot of time into researching the facts both historically and current.
Cheers pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

I finally had time to finish the book,it is a great read. Having done a 6,000 mile trip in a Model T there was a lot of the stories that I could really relate to. I also found some of Tim's observation very interesting. It can be an eye opener to see ourselves (Americans) through the eyes of of a visitor from another country. There
was a lot of information and history that I learned from reading it. I highly recommend that everyone read it. Tim, Thanks for a great book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

I got up to where Tim joined the broken Crankshaft club and left town for the Christmas Holiday.

I had every intention of taking the book with me, but I forgot to pack it in all the excitement.

The book kind of took my mind back to two other books I read, Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck and On the Road by Charles Kuralt, many years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

This year, I spent Christmas at Williamsburg, with my #2 daughter and her family.

I often check the car’s oil level on a trip and found it almost a quart low at Williamsburg.

The gas station had my favorite 5-W30 Penzoil brand for $7.79 + tax for a quart.

I decided to stop at the Wallmart, about half way home for a quart and break up my trip with a walk through the store.

The cost there was $4.68 for a quart of the same oil, so I bought a spare bottle.

I had received an advanced copy of Tim Moore’s book about a week ago and planned to take it with me to finish reading it.

That little detail was overlooked in the hurry to pack, after a last minute decision to go, and that made that after a favorable weather report.

I only had about 60 pages left to read and was up to the point where he had just broke the crankshaft.

Interestingly, Tim stopped twice at a Walmart to buy oil for his T, in those final chapters.

He did not mention buying a new pair of pants on sale there though.

I recently ordered a copy on Amazon to see how much difference both copies are, and that will arrive in another week.

Some people may not like the book, but I do, and I like it enough to read it again.

There are a lot of historic events noted and from my knowledge, in each case, they all appear quite accurate.

Tim is an excellent writer, and he tells a very good story!

I do believe the book will sell well, even if a movie is never made to promote it again.

Why anyone would jump in a 90 + year old vehicle that he had never driver or understood would then start a cross country trip, begs some questions, but even more, it leaves a person wondering what will happen to the poor old Ford now and just how rational Tim is in real life?

Perhaps, just crazy, like a fox!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Jim

so far, the ones who report that they don't like it are the same ones who have not read it. Go figure! Of course if they did read the book, imagine the difficulty keeping that a secret, and the shame involved!!

Sort of like someone not wanting to listen to Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first", because they're certain that they don't like stories about baseball. Have they missed anything? HAHA. Oh well...to each their own...

Even though you are only 60 pages to the end, I assure you, more adventure/misadventure awaits you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Tim, is the book available as an e-book?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 09:11 am:

Hey - many, many thanks for all those kind words (special mentions to Peter N, Scott and Dennis who all provided me with splendid assistance & hospitality, in return for the dubious pleasure of my company. Also to Jim G for his enthusiastic updates!).

For those who asked, seems the best place for you people to order the book is Amazon (eBook also available there): https://www.amazon.com/Another-Fine-Mess-Tim-Moore/dp/1787290239/ref=cm_cr_arp_d _product_top?ie=UTF8

Happy New Year one and all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 02:45 pm:

Yep, I ordered a copy a bit ago--and right now they have free shipping. Think it was $20 and change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 08:54 pm:

I truly enjoyed reading Another Fine Mess. We were aware of most of Tim Moore’s Model T adventures through his posts on the Forum, and we were kept up to date of the technical assistance tendered by many who also frequent this Forum. What I learned from the book was ‘the rest of the story’.

I found this to be a thoroughly researched and extremely well documented literary piece. Historical events and long ago happenings are richly woven into Tim’s story as he traverses the USA in his Model T. He had many of the same good experiences with people in small Midwest towns as I had growing up there years ago and still have when traveling back there today. My wife and I have stayed numerous times in the same motel where Tim stayed in Bryan, OH.

I admire Tim’s courage in undertaking this cross country ‘drive’ in a Model T. Many additional details not shared on the Forum at the time are quite harrowing. The acknowledged generosity of many helpful strangers along the way reassures me that there still are a lot of good people out there in the world. Thanks, Tim for an enjoyable, at times funny, and overall stimulating read!

I do have one question. Is the mention of “a scabby Honda” with the vanity plate on page 111 and photo of rear plate and car with the same vanity plate on page 112 a Red Herring? The car in the photo is a Ford.

I enjoyed the story and writing style and I also enjoyed the ‘feel’ of the book. It is a well-constructed paperback with maps inside the covers, a book that travels well and fits well on the book shelf. Only improvement might be a brightening of the photos, but those pictures are in keeping with the black and white illustrations in many of the reprinted Model T repair books.

If anyone has read this far, Amazon did a great job getting this book to me at a reasonable price. I see used editions are already offered on their webpage.

Happy New Year! jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 08:58 am:

Thanks Tim for the book for Bob Kirk.

Bob's daughter Donna had this comment:

I got the book today. I am so excited to read it to dad. I am not sure if he will be able to read it on his own. I did read a few pages and it was indeed funny. Thank you again. I know that this is going to mean so much to him. This means a lot to me as well. You are a true friend. God Bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, January 04, 2019 - 03:54 pm:

My new official copy came today.

It was ordered on December 25, not bad shipping time at all for a trip from England.

One thing that slowed me down reading the early copy was looking at an atlas to see where Tim was that day.

This copy has a USA map across the inside front and back cover.

The only problem now is that I have to tear the cover off the book to see the center area, if I really get curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:40 am:

Anthony - that's really good to hear. Do pass on my very warmest regards to Bob. Looks as if his T may be getting an outing at the Silverstone Classic in July! https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/ (Nothing confirmed yet though.)

Mr Bartsch: a most heartwarming review, thank you. I can't explain that embarrassing Honda/Ford mess-up. It even says Ford twice: on the plate AND the trunk badge above it! Oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:17 pm:

I would purchase the book, but Amazon wants me to pay shipping from England. I will wait until it is available in the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:41 pm:

$9 bucks from UK

after tax and shipping in US I think you'd be hard pressed to save over $3

FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Monday, January 07, 2019 - 08:42 pm:

Tim,
It was a great read. I’m sure others will thoroughly enjoy it. I couldn’t stop laughing about your visit to the Piquette Plant.

Dave,
I ordered a second copy from a site in the UK that had free shipping. I will try to find the info and post again.

I could not find a link to the Kindle version on the US site but it looks like the Australian one might work.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Another-Fine-Mess-Tim-Moore-ebook/dp/B07H4CBPDM/ref=mp _s_a_1_1/358-0046632-7922007

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Monday, January 07, 2019 - 08:55 pm:

Here’s an option from the UK with free shipping. Took about 1.5 weeks to get here.
https://www.bookdepository.com/Another-Fine-Mess-Tim-Moore/9781787290235

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 07:02 am:

Thanks Peter. It really does cheer my soul to know that the people who helped me most appreciate the book.

Bet they were glad to see the back of me at Piquette. Just kept forgetting it wasn't OK to get intimate with cars like the one I'd basically been living in for weeks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 07:17 am:

Looking at the labels on my purchased copy, it appeared like amazon.com.uk bulk shipped all USA book copies to New Jersey and they were put in the US Mail there.

They must get there by air freight to get my copy to me in the one week time period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin helinski on Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 01:26 pm:

I ordered it from that link from bookdepository for like $16.95 with free shipping. Looking forward to the read.

Kevin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration