Starting my '23 when it's 4 degrees outside

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Starting my '23 when it's 4 degrees outside
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Needed to get out of the house and give Nellie's engine some winter limbering. Didn't drive anywhere ... just kept it at running temp for awhile. Here is a short video clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6qyIGwAP0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:25 am:

Wow! How in the world did you accomplish this on 6 volts, a mag and coils???

Must be one in a million...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Yeah ... I am dumbfounded when people post difficulty starting their cars when it's warm out. But, I rebuilt everything that was wonky on this T ... recharged the magnets. Interesting that it seems to start easier on mag than battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Just imagine what would happen if you "upgraded" to 12 volts and a distributor! You could probably start your car with your smart phone..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

And once started, you would have to turn off the fuel to stop the engine. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

From what I have heard, a good working Mag will put out a lot more than six volts, resulting in a hotter spark. but it might have been a challenge using the hand crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

Neat video! Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

Guys .... you know it's a nice gesture to press the button to "like" a Youtube video. I mean if a bunch of old farts from a model T forum don't do it ... who will. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

Not bad, not bad at all! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Wow, the poor battery and starter wouldn't even try to turn the engine over today in mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Beautiful, what weight oil are you using?
And just for clarification, when you jumped in the car it was your first attempt at starting her?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

John, I gave the starter one 3 revolution try with ignition turned off just to make sure the battery was good before I did that video. The last time I ran the T was New Years Day. When I shut down the car I always leave the high gear lever fully foreword to squeeze out all the oil which really helps reduce "molasses in January" syndrome.

I have 5w20 oil in the crankcase and am using a dry carbon brush TW timer. A dry timer makes it much easier to start and run on all cylinders quickly than a roller type in oil or grease in really cold weather.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration