Clearance issue new crank pulley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Clearance issue new crank pulley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

First off this is no complaint
Just look8ng for a solution
Bought a small 3" pulley from Dan McEachern
Everything i have gotten from him has been top notch and yes i sent email asking him as well
Installed nicely but when i put on the pan
No clearance put on the fan belt.
Now should i turn the front lip off
Or grind a slot to allow belt to go on
Just see what you all suggest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Wondering if the pan is bent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

Come across this problem a few times, turned down the front lip on the lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

Bob - Is there room to slide the new pulley onto the crankshaft a bit further so as to make the edge of the pulley hub flush with the end of the crankshaft? And if so, might that not provide a bit more clearance for the front flange of the pulley to clear the pan? Seems like the pulley would have been designed to have the edge of the pulley hub flush with the end of the crankshaft,....??? FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:31 pm:

Pulley is made correct little wide due to the front lip belt will ride on pulley ridge
Narrow nose pan with 23 block what i had and i had the pan on kr wilson jig lays flat didnt any tweaking
My orginal pulley was to loose im going to remove the front lip this give me my clearance just asking should i remove all the way around or just two sides
No matter even stock its tight in this area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

I wouldn't remove the lip completely, and it doesn't appear that you'd have to to get the belt past. Maybe just a wide chamfer on the face of the pulley would even do it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

Use a belt laced with Clipper and put the pin in.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:50 pm:

Yes, not all the way down, about 1/2 way and a chamfer. Also those roll pins are known to break, especially if you crank start alot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

I forgot to mention also, you might have to grind down the 2 rivets as well to be able to remove the pulley with the pan on, as the back lip needs to be done as well when fitting one on a complete engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

Well went back old school.
Used shim stock drove on pulley to crank drilled it to allow pin
Still tight fit but everything clears
At the time i bought it i had no clue what pan i end up using didnt realize or forgotton how close everything was after measuring where i could i needed to remove more then just the lip or find another pan
Well problem solved

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 04:46 am:

Bob, part of the problem may have been the thickness of that leather belt!

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration