Out In the Snowmobile

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Out In the Snowmobile
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Here is a picture from out in the woods this afternoon, it was beautiful and sunny out, the temperature was at least 15 so it felt good to be outside. A tree fell across the trail not too far back and I forgot to bring a saw so it was a quick ride.
We are stopped in the middle of the swamp crossing. I noticed the ends of the corduroy road were not covered and remembered a discussion about them a few years ago. The logs here have been laid down for over 10 years now and still feel very firm in all weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Sweet! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

Video:

https://youtu.be/Gwq77C_0kJs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

That was great Zachary. I think someone thought you may leave them. Looks like you solved the wheel slip problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

You had a good day to go out. More snow on the way.

What did you do to solve the wheel slip issue?

It looks great, Ron and I were just discussing your TT / Snowmobile yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

Very cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

Really nice video. Out of curiosity how would you T handle that path without tracks or skis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

The tire chains were adjusted so that they fit the tires much better. I am not sure if the wheel slipping problem is fixed or not, but things look good.
Saturday we went out a little when the snow was mushy there were pockets of water in puddles under the snow that had not yet frozen, it really stuck to the cold tracks and built up several inches of ice outside the tracks and even a fair amount inside. this revealed an issue that I had sort of for-seen but not taken care of while building the bed; the tracks could hit the bed irons and supporting boards. The bed was ripped partially apart and everything runs smooth now, but the bed irons need to be put back on.

Chad, it would be fun to get you out here some weekend to try your doodlebug back in the woods where there is room to run. -February 17th there is a Vintage snowmobile meet/run in Charlton, the person setting it up got the state to allow use of unregistered snow machines on the trails for the ~4 mile run. (I suspect you would be welcome to attend if you wish/can make time)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

Jason: Without tracks but with chains I think it would be OK the snow was lots of ice today. With only tires and chains I think it would be tough, the front might dig a fair amount. Without chains I would be stuck 4 feet from the garage!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

Oh, and yes Rachel (4 yr old) did sound like she was going to be left behind. I thought it was a bit funny so I didn't trim it out when I merged the two clips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

That's a possibility on the 17th. I would have to see what the roads look like as I only prefer to tow on dry roads. Guess it also means I need to take a look to see if the trailer is frozen to the ground and If I can get the deck de-iced, LOL.

I assume the person you talked to is game on accepting such vehicles?

Email me with the info.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration