Need old axels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need old axels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Calvert on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Looking to buy any old axels someone might have that are damaged. I use these for other things so the gears and shaft can be bad. I will buy as many as you can find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

Lyle at Totally T's in Gaylord Michigan had a whole bunch of axle shafts, last time I was there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

Chad
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the old broken axles? Once read about someone in Montana who made gun barrels out of T axles. I thought that was kind of an interesting story and contacted a couple of Montana gunsmiths who had never heard of such a thing. Perhaps some sort of Damascus shot gun barrel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

They used to be used as tent pegs in the traveling circus. I would also like to know what you are re purposing them as. I had a bunch that I torched the gear end off and put them in 5 gallon buckets but will have to look to see if I kept the shafts for round stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Totally Ts in Gaylord? That's only 45 minutes from me. Can't believe I never heard if this place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

My Paternal Grandfather was one of the old time country Blacksmiths, he used T axles for spurs and knives, and they were good, he swore by the steel in those axles. I still have a pair of Spurs he made me, long ago, and they ring like a bell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

George, I am in Grayling. Lyle in Gaylord retired from the hardware business, and got into T's. He's got some nice cars, and is quite active with them. He rebuilds coils, and stocks a few parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

I also have a few. Milt Webb took my good ones and said on the ones I have left the bearing surfaces are beyond his specs. He's a thousand of an inch kind of guy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

This could develop into an interesting subject. What else? We have gun barrels, circus tent stakes, spurs (that ring), knives, and whatever Chad is going to make.

Lets retitle the thread WHAT USES FOR OLD REAR AXLES?

I have a pair of axle housings that were made into jack stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

I've been ringing them with horse shoes since the sixties. I also use them for different projects around the shop good hard steel not to difficult to machine. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Short crowbar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Sword swallower's like axles, a T one would work well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

I bet all your 'junk' axles are better than the ones in my car. But can't get replacements, i'd gladly trade... but across the entire world away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

James is right, they are excellent for horseshoe pits. If you paint the gear yellow and drive them in the corners of you flower beds it will keep the hose from getting pulled in.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

Horse shoe game rules say 1 inch, my dad wanted a couple bad axles for horse shoes and they measure just over 1 inch i think.

I know of 3 ford truck,later than T, axles that are marking property corners as we speak.

A former coworker of mine has took up black smithing as a hobby and wanted a couple axles and I need to get them to him to use.
I think they can hammer out tools from them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Back when catalytic converters first came out on the new cars, the gas nozzles in California became two sizes. Big for leaded and small for unleaded.

Those of us who removed our converters so we could run leaded regular had problem. The big nozzle didn't fit into the tank orifice. So anybody who had a T axle became the "go to" guy. The tapered end of the axle fit about half way into the receptacle in the car. Then you wrung the axle in a circle a few times and neatly enlarged the orifice. It only took about 3/32" of enlargement to let the regular fuel nozzle fit right in, and yet it was impossible to see that the receptacle had been altered unless you actually measured the hole diameter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Calvert on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

I actually use them for funeral tents for the post and stakes for ropes. After 4 generations of use and some lost I am n need for some more.i would like to have at least 12 or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 12:24 am:

Don't waste your time looking for old Axel, he hasn't been around for years. He passed away in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISEIQLOSkos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 01:21 am:

True Minnesota goodness. Thanks Erik! I didn't know about this. Kinda like the Northland's Bobby Ero's Finnglish!
Ya, vee could put dem axels on a boat and shush them down da river! Ya.
I have two for you Chad. Walk-ins only. :-) But you are welcome to them.
Uff da. We sure can stray off the topic. Eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 02:42 am:

Old Model T axles make nice property corners and section corners. Drill and tap the gear end for a small screw before hand. Leave gear on axle and drive axle with the gear end up, then attach my surveyor's number tag with screw. Looks different on Recorded, Record of Survey Map or Parcel Map to say, Set Model T Ford Axle with PLS tag # !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Be interested to hear if anyone has used an axle to make a knife. I would think it would heat treat OK.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Andy,

I did a weekend knife making class last year. Before the class I asked the guy running it about using a Model T axle shaft and he didn't think that it would hold an edge as well as the steel he uses. I think the carbon content was too low.

If I do the class again I'll try using an axle shaft anyway and make the handle from an old spoke.

Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration