Rear windows on '25 touring? :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear windows on '25 touring? :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 01:02 am:

I want to replace the clear vinyl windows on my '25 touring, which have become badly yellowed and bubbled, such that I can't see through them any more.

Does anyone know what they used to use back in the day? I can't see how it was glass as this is not in the least bit flexible - especially on a fold-down roof!!

What would you guys recommend to replace them with? Something that is UV stable and preferably flexible!! Polycarbonate? UV stable plastic of some kind?

Cheers :-)
Mitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:53 am:

Mitch:

An age old dilemma. An auto top shop should have some of the modern plastic they use. It is not worth much, but it is easy..

You can sew think, say, 0.020 polycarbonate sheet, but it is not going to fold or roll very well, plus, polycarbonate is not UV stable.

Acrylic is better in the sun, but very brittle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitchell Helgeson on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 04:40 am:

Jeeps use vinyl windows, pressed vinyl is clearer than a rolled vinyl. Just not sure where to get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 04:45 am:

There is also an after market glass window with inside and exterior frames...I've got a set for my three window 22 touring. Should be even easier to find something for a 25...try Snyders...besides Model T, they also deal in Model A, so I'd think any of the Roadsters rear window glass and frames should work for your car also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 06:52 am:

What did they use back in the day? The original material in the rear window and side curtains was celluloid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:32 am:

https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/products/clear-marine-vinyl?variant=2697093786 2&gclid=CjwKCAiA4vbSBRBNEiwAMorER2rdKLJICqRKDTQ4YtEg5bD_qkU8PWwRuY_dm8_-7dEyytsX 8FlWpRoC0T4QAvD_BwE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:51 am:

What did they use "back in the day" ?!? Old-timers told me 50 years ago it was "isinglass", and was fairly brittle. Often period photos show the "lights" in side curtains partly broken out. A period ditty included the line ". . . Isinglass curtains you can roll right down in case there's a change in the weather . . ."

Tom's comment that celluloid was used seems more reasonable. Anything I found on isinglass doesn't seem it's at all suitable for the purpose. To further complicate the question, the transparent material used in the doors of antique parlor stoves has also been referred to as "isinglass" and that material is actually sheet mica. All this pondering is strictly academic, the original material is probably unavailable and clear vinyls currently used in modern convertible tops are a much better option - I doubt anyone could tell any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:53 am:

You can buy the correct plastic window material at an upholstery supply. The original was .010, but I like to use a little thicker. Also, the binding that Ford used around your window is 5/8, not 3/4. I had the 5/8 reproduced, and is currently available from Mike at Classtique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:35 am:

from 1934

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:56 am:

There are a number of metal framed with glass replacement windows on Ebay at most times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Metal framed glass replacements were period accessories to fix the Ford. The glass is thin plate glass but sturdy. The folded down top didn't rest on wood bows, so the glass frames were sandwiched between top fabric layers and lasted. But, most folks then just kept the open car tops up all the time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mitch Taylor on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Thanks for all your help guys! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:19 am:

I haven't been to any swap meets for a few years, but those accessory back glass windows used to be very plentiful. Used to see them at almost every meet. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:30 am:

I haven't done any side curtain or rear window work for a few years, but as I recall, the material is available in three thicknesses.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration