Hauk quick detach wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hauk quick detach wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 01:13 am:

Anyone know when the Hauk wheels were first made? I know the building was erected in Buffalo in 1910, but were the wheels started a few years earlier?

I am looking at a set of pin drive, 23" clinchers. Wondering if they would be appropriate for a circa 1909 car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:54 am:

It is my understanding that an investment group put together by Mr. Houk (correct spelling HOUK) purchased the McCue Wire Wheel during 1913. The McCue was redesigned and offered to the trade as the Houk Wire Wheel for the 1914 model year ( fall of 1913). The #5 size center wheels were available for the start of the 1914 model year. I do not know if the #3 size ( for Model T Fords and similar size cars) came out at the same time or followed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

I have original 25 inch Houk wire wheels on my 1914 Premier. They were an $80 option when new!!

Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Layden: Hi All From Cold Iowa! Do you know the connection between Houk & Hayes? I just found a Hayes wheel on a Hudson spindle with Hudson marked cap & it appears to be identical to Houk #5 I got from you several years ago? The spokes are laced oposit direction & I think you told me something about this? Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

It is my understanding that Houk (later Wire Wheel Corp. Buffalo NY) and Hayes were always separate companies. That being said, their wheels will interchange on the other companies hubs. I suspect that the wheel center stampings were made by Houk and sold to Hayes for use in their wheels. Yes the spokes are laced in the opposite direction on the 2 brands thus the pattern of the drilled spoke holes in the centers and rims are different. Some Hayes wheel centers have domes over the ends of the drive pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:19 am:

Looks like the 5 Houk wheels and hubs that I have are not suitable for a Model T. They are number " 4 " I think they fit a Maxwell. The set came with one Maxwell hub cap center. Thanks for the info, I will keep looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Erik,
Probably are off a Maxwell.
Most #4 Houk that we see are converted to Model T from Overland.
#3 Houk are very uncommon.
Most wire wheels sold as accessory for Model T Fords in the early brass years are not demountable, neither rim nor at the center as Houks are. They were also often 30x3 fronts and have few spokes ( 40).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration