Need tool Box Keys, Yale Lock Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need tool Box Keys, Yale Lock Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L. Kemp on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:40 am:

Need to locate supplier of Keys for Model T Tool Boxes, Yale Lock assembly. Richard L. Kemp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:48 am:

I bought a tool box without a key. Took it to my local locksmith and he made a key in about 10 minutes. That's one of those jobs that looks impossible to us, but to a professional is easy-peasy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 09:25 am:

I took my Yale lock apart and made a key myself. It is not impossible. If I knew a locksmith would do it in 10 minutes I would have given him the job. But now that I think about it my lock was froze up and needed to be taken apart. They are just a flat key nothing fancy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Any Yale locks I have found have a number on the tumbler or face and a real locksmith will have the old books with the numbers going way back to cut the keys. I found one but they are becoming rare just like all old stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:19 am:

contact "modeltbug@aol.com.

Jarvis Erickson, the Mercury body guru. He is a locksmith specializing in old car locks and keys.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 09:43 am:

The problem I have had is the locksmith didn't have a blank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:21 am:

This is irrelevant to getting a key, but there are no Model T tool boxes. There are running board tool boxes, made by various manufacturers, in many sizes. Many Model T owners bought them.

I second the idea of consulting a locksmith. If your local one doesn't have or can't find a blank, Google antique auto keys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Richard:

I would be great if you would post a picture of your lock so we could see if it is a simple hasp lock that uses a flat key or a more substantial, tumbler type lock that uses a heavy, grooved key.

The most common hasp type locks on running board toolboxes seem to be Corbin, Eagle and Yale. These locks use simple, flat keys. I believe that Hayes toolboxes have Corbin locks, even though the locks are stamped "Hayes."

Corbin and Eagle have square bottoms.

Yale has a round bottom.

If your box has a lock riveted to the inside of the box and the lock that protrudes through front of the box like a strong box with a latch on the lid, that is a slightly different animal but those too tend to use simple, flat keys.

If you know the number of the key, you can sometimes find it on eBay.

I collect and sell tool box locks. Sometimes I have keys. So far I have only found and sold Corbin and Eagle locks. The only Yale locks I have are still on boxes.

On one occasion I went into a local antique shop with my locks that didn't have keys and spent time seeing if any of their flat keys fit. I did have success and found three keys that way.

I have also took a flat key that worked on multiple locks and used it as a pattern to file another flat key so it would also work. It was crude, but it did work for me.

Here is an example of the Corbin hasp locks I have been selling:

Here is an example of a Yale hasp lock - note the round bottom:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Bought a eight dollar box of keys at the flea market a few years back, found 7 T ign. keys and several old yale type keys that were easily made to work for tool box keys. KGB

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration