OT - More Model K photos...... starting to prime

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - More Model K photos...... starting to prime
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

Looks like the Fawcett group are making good progress. We're going to have the crank magna-fluxed as long as we're this far...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

WOW, I must admit, every time I see the crank in a stand alone pic, my jaw drops. Thanks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Hey Rob I just saw all those listed on E-bay! :-):-):-)

Boy you give a fella a whole car and look what happens...he takes it apart to see what makes it tick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

Oh boy. Better hope & pray that the crank mags out o.k.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Great pictures!!! How do you post so many in one post?? I have trouble with 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:33 pm:

Well it's an OE crank so it's going to break, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

That is one amazing crank with this 7-main bearing engine. I understand the firing order of a Model K is 1-2-3-6-5-4, and that crank will allow that firing order. It will also allow the more traditional 6-cylinder firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4. It all depends upon the cam shaft. The engine would breath better if it were the traditional firing order; however, the K engine does just fine the way Henry designed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Hal, I post from my iPad or iPhone. First I reduce the pics to post, then single or double space below the text, and add the pic. Then double space, and add the next one. I did this group all at once. Single or double spacing allow me to easily go in and add text to individual pics later while previewing. One downside to more than two pics is it seldom shows me all the photos in the "Preview."

Well, Jerry, good news and bad. The crank checks out ok for cracks. However, it is bent a little. Peter is having it picked up and straightened tomorrow.

Regarding firing order, while 1-2-3-6-5-4 is an unusual firing order today, in 1907, of twenty six cylinder listed in this article, it was the second most prevelant, behind 1-4-2-6-3-5. Only two of the twenty cars mentioned use today's popular 1-5-3-6-2-4. Napier, with the same firing order as Ford, was one of the best known six cylinder cars in the world in 1906 and 1907, and had been producing sixes for several years by then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

TNX Rob!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

What is the gunmetal colored material sprayed on the seat backs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

Tom,
I'm not a paint person but I think another primer like coat. The original color is a darker red and maybe this will allow better coverage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

My guess is the lighter color on the seats, frame, etc. is the first primer. The darker gray is probably another primer or just a base coat. The red will look much redder with a darker undercoat. I found that out from experience.

Thank you for all the pictures Rob. They look great. Just remember to say to yourself, 'I will wait patiently. I will wait patiently'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 06:16 am:

Rob, in your 5th photo of the wooden frame prior to painting, there is a lap joint in the side rail. That is not something I would like to find. Was it an old time repair or perhaps a lumber factory special joint to optimise the use of shorter lengths of timber? Or perhaps you didn't see it while the parts were away in the shop.

Just curious? I love the way you go right back to the bare bones so that the restoration is a complete known project.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 06:24 am:

Rob, in your 5th photo of the wooden frame prior to painting, there is a lap joint in the side rail. That is not something I would like to find. Was it an old time repair or perhaps a lumber factory special joint to optimise the use of shorter lengths of timber? Or perhaps you didn't see it while the parts were away in the shop.

Just curious? I love the way you go right back to the bare bones so that the restoration is a complete known project.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 08:07 am:

Allan,
I don't think it's a repair. This car was owned by the family that bought new, until 1964, when it became a museum car until being brought back to life, so the wood was in pretty good condition.

I believe the body was made by Wilson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 08:27 am:

Fantastic! I hope you will have the car at BBC. I am dying to see it! God speed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 08:40 am:

Thanks William, that's our goal. I've been impressed with the speed so far, even though we've had a few setbacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 09:04 am:

Looking forward to it Rob. You are moving right along. Love the play by play. Keep em coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 03:10 pm:

Moving in the right direction.....

Springs:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 03:22 pm:

Front axle. You can just see the "K xxx part number:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

Rob- did you ever find a source for your valve springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

Dan, yes, one of the several suggestions from that thread. Peter told me who, and I don't recall now. We are thinking three or four sets, for the three North American running K and a spare set. They came in two sizes (wire gauge) so we'll have the actual spec springs now.
Thanks,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:00 am:

I was hoping you would reply with the name of the company. Do you recall if it was PAC RACING SPRINGS?
thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

Dan, the "Spring Team" in Ohio.

First photo of our paint choice, the frame and axle housings. This color matched the untouched original body panel color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

Very Nice. I like the color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

Is that the Spring Team in Austinburg, Ohio?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:57 am:

A friend of mine always paints the frames up side down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:59 am:

Oh Rob, what a great progress report, Thanks Hope to see you in Lincoln again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration