Jumbo Planator Junior

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Jumbo Planator Junior
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Smith on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

I have what I assume is a Jumbo Planator Junior drive line transmission. I would like to install ahead of the Ruckstell differential in my TT. Does anyone have a recipe or diagrams that will help in the placement of the transmission in the existing drive shaft. Anything at this point would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Paul
Jumbo Planator Junior?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 09:02 pm:

Wow. I know TTs are slow but how slow do you want to travel?
A few years back I did some engine work on a TT that had a Ruckstell and a Warford. With both in low and Ford low, the kid helping me could walk faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Smith, Prescott, AZ on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Tony, you are absolutely correct in your assessment of the top end. My plan was to let the kids drive in the back lot. All they have to do is let off the parking brake then make sure they don't run into Grandma's peach trees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

I had a Jumbo Giant in a TT once with a high speed Ruxtel and the larger rear wheels/tires. As long as I could keep the gears straight in my head I could get to 38 on a flat. We have a guy in the local club who has 2 different auxilliary transmissions and a high speed rear end in his TT. Those things along with a high performance t engine and I have seen him doing 50+ on the road.

I wonder if the Planatator is tough enough to use in the T or not? Would be interesting to know though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

I've ridden in Bill's TT, I think it will do closer to 60. An engine anyone with a speedster would be proud to have under their hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

The two pins that form part of the sliding gear are a weak point on the T car version. I have had two fail and machinist friend in Phoenix made me two new sliding gears. I managed to get one welded, so I still have one in a box somewhere.
I wonder if the TT version is a similar flawed design?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Smith, Prescott, AZ on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:03 am:

Tony...From the image above, can you tell if this is a TT version ?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Pringle on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 04:38 am:

As fitted to my TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Pringle on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 04:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

The TT used the splined connector between the drive shaft and the stub shaft in the rear end. It can be sticking out the back.
I think what he could be asking is how short does one need to cut the driveshaft to fit this unit? I would think if that is the question, you need to cut at the U-joint end and have new square end machined along with pin hole drilled. The back end is splined and I don't think you would want to pay to have new splines machined. New it would have come with a modified driveshaft. You would have just cut back the torque tube and inserted it in the clamping end

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Smith, Prescott, AZ on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Mark and James
Great photos and feedback. I have the spline as you can see at the back end of the Jumbo. The front shaft or drive shaft has the gear that rides on the spider within the jumbo on one end and there is a very worn and somewhat different spline setup there on the front end of the shaft. Not sure what application this was for.
My plan was to cut and weld this shaft to the front half of the existing TT drive shaft. The drive shaft tube would be cut down as well. The radius rods would probably not need any alteration. There is a local shop that can do the cutting and welding so all I would need would be the finished dimensions.
Time for a set up and a tape measure to figure this out.
Thanks again. Jumbo Planator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

Paul, I'd do some more research before you start cutting and welding on a drive shaft, you may be setting yourself up for trouble. Not saying it can't be done, but I made my living as a welder and I wouldn't do it. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Smith, Prescott, AZ on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 12:05 am:

Thanks for the advice Dave. I know I wouldn't do it.
The shop in the area specializes in drive lines, so I will definitely follow their lead.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration