Just how I do it. NH seat and spray tip removal.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Just how I do it. NH seat and spray tip removal.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

This is not the only way to do this, this is just the way I do it. Had one I am getting ready to sell as a project, had a camera, took a picture, thought I'd post it.

This NH had laid around and got rusty for a whole chingo of years, took it apart today while going through some carbs to list for sale and thought I'd go ahead and turn it in to an easy project.

The two things that new rebuilders often have trouble with are removing the seat and removing the spray tip. I heat it around the outsides of the casting just to where the metal is starting to take some color, let it cool and often can just screw the parts out. If it needs more encouragement to come out I clamp it in the drill press vise, insert a ground down cold chisel that will just fit the slot, apply pressure with the drill press quill and turn the chisel with an adjustable wrench. Comes right out every time.

Same with the seat. This one was particularly tough since someone had tried to get it out before. Once it started to come out I did the second part of my system which is to insert a shortened easy out into the seat and turn it with a tap wrench. Works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

I had trouble getting any tools to grab the seats without slipping around, so I borrowed a mill at the juco and made some to fit. They're made from a junk axle shaft. Using them with the heat wrench as Stan describes does the trick.

Holley G

NH spray

NH float valve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

I have a bunch of those kinds of specialty tools, too. I did this to show the guys that are doing one once in awhile how I do it. Those tools like you made with the center post to hold it in place are the slick trick.

Several years ago Jack Daron made me one of his NH seat tools, I've used it a lot and later somebody sent me a tool for the Holley G's that I have used and used and used. The real bear is the seat tool for the G's that have that goofy tapered slot in the seat.

I work on so much stuff that I'll not be doing again or probably couldn't find the tool again if I made one so the chisel with the drill press is the trick on those.

You are right. The hot wrench is the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 11:54 pm:

thanks Stan for taking some time to post this.I have a carb apart now and waiting on the needle and seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:15 am:

I never had good luck with a easy out because to get it to hold It would swell the thing I was removing and it was just tighter. I have better luck with heat and a left twist drill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Pfau on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:27 am:

Nice tip Stan, thanks for sharing that. I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:04 am:

I repaired a pressure washer for a fellow back in the summer and I had to go to a specialty shop to get some fittings for the really long nozzle gun.
There was a brass fitting broke off in a steel pipe. The guy reached in his tool box and got a torx bit that fits a 3/8ths ratchet and bumped it into the brass fitting with a hammer and then screwed it right out with a ratchet. . He said it worked most of the time because the fittings were not stripped in the steel,just broke from being dropped.So the threads were not damaged.
You learn something every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Well the main thing I am showing here is using the drill press quill to apply down pressure to keep the tool from coming out of the slot in whatever it is you are working on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration