Hole in door?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hole in door?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

Removed the panel board from the drivers door on my ‘26 today to investigate a rattle and discovered what appears to be a bullet hole in the inner panel. It apparently had gone all the way the through as the outer panel had been repaired. The hole diameter measures .330” any ideas on caliber of bullet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

The "Origional Bullett" car!
Pushtruck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Probably .30 cal. All sorts of .30 cals out there. Most common on the farm would be the venerable .30-30, Then .30-06, .303 Brit, .30Carbine . Just my thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Voller (Aitkin MN) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

the 33 Winchester used a .338 bullet the 32 Winchester used .321 bullet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 02:20 pm:

.32 colt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

The guy grabbed a 30 cal rifle from the passenger's side to take it out of the car and it went off....thus the invention of TIDE laundry powder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

Sounds like anything from .30 caliber range is possible. Apparently the velocity of the projectile has an effect on the hole size.
Thanks all.

Hal, That is pretty funny about "the invention of TIDE laundry powder". :-)

(Message edited by AzBob on January 17, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

The story of that 30 Cal hole would be very interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:11 pm:

Another possibility is a 32-20 Winchester Center Fire (WCF). That was a black powder load for the 1873 Winchester rifle or a Colt Peacemaker revolver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

As a shooter I can reliably state that a bullet going thru metal will normally make a whole 25% or more it's size. That hole could be .22 or .25 caliber. I've punched a lot of holes in car bodies with a .45 and made holes I could easily put my thumb thru(no, the bodies weren't T's). Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

That is a 26-27 roadster or touring drivers door and the bullet came from inside and exited outside. Those cars are quite cramped so probably a pistol because a passenger could not swing a rifle around the steering wheel easy unless the shot came from outside the car but the shooter would have to have been quite a bit higher and the hole looks horizontal and not on an angle.

My "forensic" guess is some dummy had an accidental discharge inside the car while playing with a pistol in the passenger side. The hole is too far forward to be shooting at the driver but close enough if the driver was fat.

I have a '28 Phaeton that has a bullet hole in the right rear corner from the outside. That indicates something a little more serious as there is only one hole that was shot while the car was driving away. Your single bullet hole and mine don't indicate "target practice" on an old car sitting in a field. Yours was probably an accident and mine was probably intentional with purpose?

Interesting to wonder about but that is my guess based on location and the room to swing something around inside. Probably a pistol.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Could have been shot thru the open drivers door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:58 am:

All interesting scenarios.

Since my curiosity was piqued, pulled off the passenger panel to check for any more holes. Found only the ones that should be there.

Something I would like to try is make a sheet metal target the same thickness as the door panel, take to one’s “favorite range” then “practice” using different calibers, note hole size to bullet size.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration