West coast middle school update?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: West coast middle school update?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 08:41 am:

A year or so ago a West coast middle school posted videos and threads about using a Model T as a teaching tool and several generous souls donated a body and many parts and delivered them to help them achieve their goal. They posted videos of the students doing measurements and calculations using the engine and transmission if I remember correctly. Any updates or progress reports?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 09:12 am:

That was Sean Butler at the Kline School I believe. Here is his profile link.
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=sbutler-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Yes Ed I believe that is the school. I hope Sean will post an up date on their progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

Unfortunately, after 30 years of operation, Kline School closed its doors in June of 2015. At that time I asked my students if they had any interest in continuing the project at my home on weekends and whatnot. To this I received a resounding Yes! As time went on, though, it became increasingly difficult to keep the group together. New schools, activities, some moving away, and yes, GIRLS, took their toll on us. I had lost my captive audience.

From June of 2016 through November of 2017, my wife and I were crisscrossing the country between Washington and Connecticut, dealing with parental health and financial issues. I finally returned home for the first time in a year and half last month.

The timing of Perrys post is interesting. I was in contact with George House, who donated the runabout body, just last week to apprise him of the status. He brought up how infusing youth into the hobby was the intention so I am currently talking with T guys in the area, trying to find some kid, or group of kids, who would like a decent start on a project. Hopefully someone out there can take the baton.

I wish the story were different but sometimes life just throws you a bunch of curveballs. Id give anything right now to be back in the classroom. I enjoyed the hell out of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

I'm sorry to hear of the school closing and of all the problems you are currently experiencing. Keep the faith I know life will turn around and I'm sure the project will take shape one day. Best wishes and good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Hey, you honestly tried, and Im sure the kids you taught will remember. All it takes is a spark, and maybe someday one of those kids will have a T of their own because of what you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt Madison on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

up in Brooks Oregon there is a Old Car Museum that builds a Model T with Kids may be a good outfit to get a hold of to pass it on - I sent you your Crank for the kids a few years back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration