Now there's your problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Now there's your problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 10:00 am:

This is an old photograph, but since it's "Throwback Thursday" I thought it would still play well. The thrust bearing washers on my old speedster gave up one day when I was driving with a horrible racket. I limped back to the garage and opened up the rear axle and the babbitt washers were all ground up in the oil I drained. Both the pinion and ring gears were worn to sharp edges on the ends of the teeth. Here is a picture of the worn ring gear and the new replacement. I had driven that T with the original washers for twenty five years. Interestingly I had always thought it was my transmission that was noisy ... but after rebuilding the rear end all those noises went away. :-)

ring gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

What? I just installed one like that. Thought they were supposed to be pointy. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

And here's a matching pinion gear for that pointy ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

That's a good one Dan. But mine [now tossed] was just as smooth and knife edged as the ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

Who says you can't get your moneys worth out of a Ford! LOL.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Thatís exactly what I told my wife when I bought the new ring and pinion gear.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration