FOR US "old' GUYS on the FORUM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: FOR US "old' GUYS on the FORUM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Lost Words from our childhood: Words gone as fast as the buggy whip! Sad really!

Mergatroyd!...

Do you remember that word? Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd?

Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (65) (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?"

OMG (new phrase)! He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old..... but not that old. Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken record" and "Hung out to dry."

Back in the olden days we had a lot of 'moxie.' We'd put on our best 'bib and tucker' to' straighten up and fly right'.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were 'in like Flynn' and 'living the life of Riley'', and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell?
Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers...AND DON'T FORGET.... Saddle Stitched Pants.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, Well, I'll be 'a monkey's uncle!' Or, This is a 'fine kettle of fish'! We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone.

Where have all those great phrases gone? (My Favorite)" Let's all go to the beach Saturday"...

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! ("Carter's Little Liver Pills" are gone too!)

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator!

Okidoki

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:07 am:

I've pulled the chain but outhouses don't have a chain. Looks like I'm only 80% an "old GUY" but today the milk would have pushed the cardboard lid off the bottle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:11 am:

Language is a fascinating study, slang and expressions more so. My uncle used the phrase ". . . Takin' off like a P-38 . . ." well into the 1980s when no one remembered what a "P-38" was, much less that for a brief shining moment it was possibly the fastest fighter plane. Coming full circle, I recall a lad who was recently amazed to discover a personality who named herself after a life jacket - Mae West. Time and fashion marches on - I guess it's what makes Elizabethan English nearly unintelligible to moderns ? A murrain seize them !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:12 am:

I am pretty sure that you misspelled Morgateroyde.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:14 am:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snagglepuss

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:26 am:

So, was the Pink Panther related to Snagglepuss ? Cousin, maybe ? Strong family resemblance !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:26 am:

"Dear, there are two words I wish you wouldn't use. One is swell, and the other is lousy."
"Sure, Grandma. What are the two words?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:29 am:

Like, Paul, like what are you like trying to like say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:31 am:

My dad used to say "that thing roared like a B-29 with a busted muffler".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Fantastic Post Paul

"THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Now I'm searching my dusty old mind for other sayings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Always current: "You know"....
"Like, I did, you know"..."They went, you know".

(and) "Happy T-ing!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

time for this one again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXtR-CaK6p4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

I am 60 and I have heard all of those sayings probably because as a kid I worked at a truck yard with men that now are in their 80s, 90s or dead. Now I am the oldest guy at work. I work with millennials that have never heard of these things. I just shake my head. I'm sure they leave shaking their heads too. Crazy old coot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

Rich B., sorry to disagree, but she named herself after a spring shackle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

When I was in grammar school the girl's and boy's room were in the basement.
When we had "to go" we would ask if we could go to the basement.
Sometimes I still it a basement in my head!

Other times that I have to go to the head.
Most people don't know why Navy guys call it the head.
It has to do with the front (head) of the ship and the way the wind was blowing.
Think sailing ships and you'll know why!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

Okie Dokie.

A young co-worker heard me say that and spun around. "What did you say?! I have heard my grandfather say that and thought he just made it up as I never heard it anywhere else."

I was dumbfounded and felt old, and I'm 45.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Well don't be mollycoddling about it.. just throw it out on the table like a set of loaded dice....Make a big enough splash and we will see what water stays in the glass. and don't forget to mimeograph it so you don't forget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

My favorite.He don't know sh&$ from putty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

Interestingly .... at 62 I recognise nearly all of the terms and expressions posted above. My father was an only child, his father died before he was born. Dad raised my three brothers and I the way he thought his father would have raised him. So ... we were exposed to a lot of lore that had already gone out of fashion by the 1950s - 1960s. Also, we were raised in a rural area of Penna and lived on the core properly of an 18th century farm .. though my father took a train to Phila every day. He was a copywriter. But working on farms also exposed me to another older culture than many of my friends at school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

I still say Okie Dokie. I'm 60 and I guess it's what we heard and remember from our youth. I remember my father, uncles and their friends starting conversations with "Hey moe what you been up to?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

This is all pretty reet, and I dig the jive, but take it easy on the foot feed.

I do know the difference between something else and this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Other than folks on this forum, who remembers what a Tin Lizzie was? Or, for that matter, what a lizzie (from whom Tin Lizzie derives) was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Steve Jelf,thank you for that.
One of my High school automotive shop teachers favorite expressions. He had us in stitches with his expressions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

Wow. -Quite a composition!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Thats the breaks kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:42 pm:

When I get home from the plant, I like to remove my slacks and slip into my putter pants, usually a pair of dungarees. Then, after chores, I grab a Blatz out of the Norge and stretch out on the davenport, or sometimes my easy chair & ottoman. I might also flick on the tube to see what Gleason's up to. He's a card. Later, the little woman brings me a nice hi-ball. Later, I'll put on my PJ's, brush a little Ipana on the pearly whites, and toddle of. Oops, don't forget the Geritol. Then rise & shine, grab a mug of Sanka, then off to the daily grind. The guys at the plant sure are a swell bunch of joes! You can bet your bottom dollar they give me ribbing, but it never gets my goat. I take with a grain of salt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:50 pm:

Might as well can't dance and its to wet to plow! Speaking of plants/shops remember the cartoon The Bull Of The Woods? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:20 pm:

Mother of pearl!!!! I certainly do remember Bull of the woods, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

car related?

tail board
aerial

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

A little newer. "Be kind, Rewind".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Not car related but a good time on one of these bleak days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Sounds like the record is stuck! Maybe you need to change the needle. Don't wind too tight or you might break the spring!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

That was a Duesey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

When was the last time you bought Dungarees?
And this Ice cream bar may have been regional but I haven't had a Cho-Cho bar since the 1960s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

''flip it'' meant the TV not a business transaction. ''Foot-feed'' meant gas pedal, it separated more up to date cars from the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

Waiting for the tubes to warm up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

Crank up the telephone, "Hello, Central ?" Operator: "Number, puh-lee-uz ?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

I'm old enough to remember that there was a time when if you were gay, it meant that you were really happy. Not politically correct? - That phrase did not exist either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

"Twenty Three Skidoo".

Sheesh,....I didn't even know they made snowmobiles in 1923! (:^)

And how about The Dime Store", also known as "The Five & Ten"! I guess that's become the Dollar Store". And on our last trio there, we found out that they have them in Japan too, only they're known as "The Hundred Yen Store"!

Yeah,...it's interesting how things (and expressions) change!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

What I really wish would "die" is the "like talk". I mean like, I'm like really like sick of it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Dave S. - You reminded me of another one. Nobody uses the term,...."The Gay Ninetys" anymore. It'd sure have a new meaning nowadays, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Amazing how much has changed mostly since the personal phone appeared. I don't think even home computers had the impact of the cell phone. As to young 'uns not knowing anything: Exactly what do you think their supposed to know? Does any of this never to be used again stuff really necessary? News flash: it isn't. People keep bringing up Orwells 1984 novel. He'd be surprised as hell to know that instead of hating and trying to hide from the cameras everywhere we'd actually be carrying them around on our own. If you think this is only happening here you're wrong on that count too. It's world wide where ever cell phones are useable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:04 pm:

Paul,

Thank you so much for jogging my memory. I had forgotten all of those sayings. It is amazing how much has changed in 60 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Some one signed on the forum a few years back as O.G. Whatasnozzle and I don't think anyone ever caught it. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

Cell phones - heck, we had a party line!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

He talks so much he must have been vaccinated with a phonagraph needle! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Paul, Superman can use the phone booth in my basement, it still has a working pay phone in it at least until I give my land line. We had a teenager over and I told her to use it and call her dad just for the heck of it. She could not dial it without stopping before she got to the finger stop. She tried several times and finally give up. Just think that was an intelligent high school girl that can't operate a dial phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

I love this. some are slicker than snot on a doorknob.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

I love this. some are slicker than snot on a doorknob.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

OMG...I asked my granddaughter (age 11) to turn off the “television”. “Grandpa” she says, “what is that?” How about turning off the TV I say. OK she says.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

Jack,Could it be Butch Wax? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

My grandmother (on my fathers side) used to say "That's enough to cock your pistols" when she got frustrated with something or someone...usually me.

My dad used to say "Lightening done struck the old outhouse" whenever I came up with a good idea...which I guess meant I didn't come up with them often.

My grandmother on my mothers side used to say "Odds bodkins" as an expletive and that she didn't "give a Tinkers dam"...usually about whatever somebody thought or said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

Well Gee Willikers don't go off half cocked but lets go down to the drug store and get us a phosphate. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:36 pm:

I think we got a lot of these sayings from Spanky and the gang, the beaver, Rin Tin Tin and Sky King with his lovely daughter Penny and such shows in our childhoods. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:02 am:

In two weeks I will be 84 and I think that everyone of these sayings I have heard and there maybe more that was not spoken here.
some one mentioned Cell phones-well we lived in Exeter where I was born, then Lindsay(first phone and the # was 282L and then to southern Cal- and that was the second place we had a phone. In 1945 we moved to Mansfield, Missouri and no phone all the time in Missouri-1945 till 1953/. I went into the army from 1953 till 1956, and came to Redding California and have had a regular land line and now a cell phone for about 10 years. Boy what a change in lifestyle over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:22 am:

Monday at work the boss asked me how the job turned out.
I told him, “good enough for government work”.
A 25 year old guy heard me say it and he laughed the rest of the day. He said he’d never heard that before.
Three times today I heard guys say, basically.
That one really gets my goat.
What in hell does basically have to do with anything?
Like, basically I go to work everyday, you know what I mean?
You get my Drift?

Money talks, but mine only says,”goodby”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:29 am:

Money talks, bulls**t walks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 06:21 am:

It seems like no one travels by "Shank's Mare" any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 06:50 am:

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Here's one my Mom used all the time.

He went out to take a s**t and the hogs ate him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:20 am:

Arron Griffey, similar to what you were saying. At work if you were making something for yourself it was a "G" job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Burma Shave!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 09:11 am:

It's really interesting to look up the origins of there old sayings .. like "23 skidoo." I say "okie dokie" all the time and I get very funny reactions from my guests from Japan. In Japanese the words "dokie dokie" mean the beating of the heart. It's used along with putting your hand between your shirt and chest to show the pounding of the heart to imply you are attracted to someone. Worse, the word benjo in Japanese, which is pronounced very similar to our word banjo, means toilet. When I tell them I play banjo ... the looks are priceless. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:19 am:

When I was a lot younger I used to name my cars Murgatroyd. I think I got up to the Mergatroyd 20-ish car before I gave up naming machinery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Here you go Kenneth:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Well, Here’s my “two bits” Grandma would sometimes say “I’ll be hanged!”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

RE: Burma Shave

The original Burma Shave building on Lake Street in south Minneapolis was torn down a year ago - January 2017. The building had a interesting history having originally been a church and then physically moved. I drove by it often.

There were some efforts to save it or at least do an historic survey but, as per usual in Minneapolis, that did not occur.

http://www.corcoranneighborhood.org/origins_of_2019_east_lake_street

The second headquarters built in 1940 still survives on Chestnut Ave in Minneapolis, west of downtown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Old west coast guys will remember (743) miles to Harold's Club, Reno.. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

I think we all have cabin fever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

When my mom saw this one, she claimed it was about Dad:

TO KISS A FACE
THAT'S LIKE
A CACTUS
TAKES MORE NERVE
THAN IT DOES
PRACTICE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

Haven't caught anyone citing "Like a cat on a hot tin roof!" Ya' gotta be quick.....

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

This thread is fun to "re-read"! Something in it reminded me of how many "semi-polite" ways there are to describe someone who is, shall we say, somewhat "mentally challenged"! One that has always stuck in my mind came from a railroad station operator/agent I knew from when I was working for the Milwaukee Road in Montana. Never heard it before or since,.......but he'd say something like,......

Yeah, well, "that's just ol' Joe, and he's always been just about a half a bubble from plumb"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Yeah,.....there's a bunch of them, right?

"About one brick short of a load"

"His elevator doesn't go quite all the way to the top"

.....and many, many more,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Hey, Harold....
"The lights are on, but nobody's home." (or)
"The elevator doesn't go to the top floor." (or)
"The train didn't stop at that station."

Maybe funny, but I ask those things of myself every so often..... A choice: Model T's, or something 'computerized'????

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

An older friend was commenting on his grandson's lack of physical activity.

"That boy thinks manual labour is the president of Mexico".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

A personal favorite: "that guy couldn't pour piss out of a boot if he directions were written on the heel. "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

"A taco shy of a combo platter."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

His belt don't go through all the loops.

Couple dogs shy of a weenie roast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

If B.S. was electricity you'd be a powerhouse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Modern version:
"A few fries short of a Happy Meal"
After a while, Crocodile
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn W. Beers / Kunkletown, Pa on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

If someone was dishonest my Grandmother would say
"They would steal a penny off a dead mans eye"

If someone complained all the time my Grandpa said
"They would bitch if you hung them with a new rope"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

No more brains than a box of hammers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Fat Nikita's
getting stronger
We can't afford
to wait much longer
Burma Shave

Mad magazine sometime in the 60's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

At the old police station they would say go burn a fax. The old western union fax machines used a electric current through a stylus touching a piece of carbon paper rotating on a metal drum to literally burn the image into the paper and it smelled like something was burning. "BURN A FAX"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 12:10 am:

Her guys whiskers just don't faze her he shaves by eletrict razor Why bother with Burma Shave. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:41 am:

My dad who would be 112 if he were still alive had a few "sayin's that as a kid i had no idea what they met,

when something was really very neat or he had figured out a particular difficult problem, he would say, "Well that's an answer to a maiden's prayer.

When he was young Seattle had street cars and he always referred to them as ridding the "rattler"

Left over from WW2 I remember the saying "Let George do it" a reference to the great General Patton.

The above neat words and sayings did not list a model t slang term "Jitney" when people used their T's to transport people for money.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Braddock - SW Kansas on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Well I’ll be a monkeys uncle, I haven’t heard some of these for a long time and it’ll probably be a cold day in he** before I hear them again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

I've always been fond of "he's a couple sandwiches short of a pick-nick" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Hmmm,...."not the brightest bulb in the marquee"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 03:49 pm:

"If you put his brain in a coconut, it would rattle around like a pea in a wash tub."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:04 pm:

Here's one that you'll never hear, but it had a long run before dying out over a century ago : "That's farther than hell from hilarity !" The reference is mideval, the distance of a pilgrimage to the shrine of St. Hillary.

"Let George do it. " has likely been around 'way before a 1908 Broadway play by the same name. I'll bet it was old when revolutionary soldiers figured Gen. Washington could do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

There were some really good ones on the old Carol Burnett Show, especially from one of my favorite characters on that show, Vicky Lawrence as "Mama".

"You've got splinters in the windmills of your mind".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:55 pm:

My wife just read a pretty good one on Facebook:

"Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyones garden."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

(Garsh, Sha-zam, Gall-lee) from Gomer Pile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

I still think there are people around who are “not playing with a full deck of cards”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Here' a London one for you.
"3 stops short of Dagenham"
On the London Underground Barking is 3 stops before Dagenham, i e Barking mad -
is that an American expression?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Nope. To me, "Dagenham" is an early ('65-6 ?) Ford Mustang transmission !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

The british-built light weight 4 speed Dagenham trans was only used behind the 200 cu. in. six.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

Bet that throwed a hitch in his gittyup !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

Right on Dale. I had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

Me too- a 1966 "sprint" edition, 6 with a four speed, white notchback with a blue & white pony interior

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Rice on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 07:02 pm:

"Now you're cooking with gas!
Great thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

That tranny was available in 62 for the Falcon Sprint and optional for the Ranchero. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

"That guy could wreck an anvil with a rubber hammer"

"Ain't got both ore's in the water"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

Just the facts, Maam, just the facts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

If his brains were dynamite he couldn't blow his own nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

"Let George do it." Hehehe! In sixth grade (1976) I played King George the III. I had the accent and attitude down already to play him.
"...or I shall close the Boston port!!!" And then some tea dumping commenced... :-) Rich B, you knocked that loose from my banks. Thank you! :-)
I was gonna say that my 6 year old grandson loves my "new" N train "layout" and I actually thought to myself a few minutes ago,
that boy is "happier than a pig in a slop pail".
Mmmm, the slop pail under the sink for our pigs. I can still smell it.
What a fun thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

How about "One brick shy of a full load", or "that fellar aint quite plumb"...one of my great uncles wasn't quite plumb...got his head stuck in a thrashing machine on the farm when he was a kid. They said he hadn't been right since then.

My great grandfather who I think spent some time as a sailor on ships that had sails, used to say to us kids (he had a really heavy Scottish accent and I've never been quite sure whether he was joking or not, since I never put him to the test to find out either, although some of my cousins I think did).
"Take a hitch in yor jaw'n tackle or kiss'n the gunners daughter ye'll be".
Which meant, shut up and sit down or you're in for a whopping...what was worse, he'd make you go out and find the stick, and if you came back with something a little too light by his standards...he'd find one more to his liking and less to yours, (that I know from personal experience, but for other reasons).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:23 am:

My Grandfather had a couple that I remember. Upon parting he would say "Two for Duluth" which I think was part of an old comedy routine similar to the "Train Leaving on Track 9 for Anaheim, Azusa, and Cuuuk-A-Monnngaaaa" (Cucamonga)

He would also say "Grinning like a skunk eating bumble bees" and Grinning like a wrinkle in a slop jar." I was told a slop jar was another term for a "Thunder Jug" which was kept at bedside for night time relief. Thus it would be similar to a "S**t eating grin" I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:19 am:

My grandfather was a south Texas sheriff during the 1960's and part time rancher and practically everything he said was one of these phrases. There's almost too many to count.

His dad was a Texas Ranger. I never knew him but I have a lot of his correspondence and it's filled with salty old sayings as well.

One that sticks in my mind was what he'd always say if something was good looking. He'd say it was "prettier n' a speckled pup".

My Nanny (my grandmother) would say she was going to "get a switch" if we were misbehaving.

I miss them. A lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:41 am:

A friend of mine in the Navy used to say this when someone did something questionable.
"Some of us are Lessron's others are More!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:15 am:

"Drop a dime."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:23 am:

He's a few cards shy of a full deck.

He's not happy unless he's miserable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

I mentioned my grandfather in a previous post above.

Way back before I ever thought about owning a Model T, when I was a little guy, he'd talk about going to see my grandmother in his Model T when they were dating and having to "snug up the bearings".

I never understood what that meant until recently.

Here he is holding me in 1969. He was a rough and tumble man, worked with cattle his whole life in addition to being a local lawman. But he could be gentle as a kitten when it came to us kids.

God I miss him and his generation.

(Message edited by rustyfords on January 21, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

John Codman - I guessing that many folks, especially the younger ones, have no idea what it meant to "drop a dime" on someone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

How many have heard or used the expression "going at it hammer and tongs" who have never seen a blacksmith working at a forge ?? How many have seen real black smithing ? ( I'll bet there a few members who do or have done some ?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

My father used "hammer and tongs" a lot, and so do I. We both used it when we had to solve a math problem and couldn't come up with a simple, mathematically elegant way to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

mom said are neighbor had a old rattle trap for a car. and a baby was as cute as a bugs ear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Harold, Your railroad agent's saying for somewhat mentally challenged, "half a bubble from plumb", was still used by some older surveyors at AT&SF Ry in the late 1970's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

How about- STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Vrana Kewaskum wi on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

And "Too many irons in the fire"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

Don, what a fantastic photograph. :-)
It has to have been mentioned already "The cat's meow."
The drill bit set I just found IS the cat's meow.
My dad (Don) said a few times:
"I'm so hungry, I could eat the aXX out of a skunk, on a dead run."
Jem nudged this one loose for me.
Madder than a wet hen!
A burr under his saddle.
I've resembled some of those remarks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:08 pm:

In addition to the sayings I can remember when the mailman delivered mail in the morning and afternoon. Comic books at the Barber Shop on Saturday afternoon. Also the smell of Bay Rum in said Barber Shop. Pop machines filled with cold water to keep the pop cold. The delight of finding a pop bottle and turning in for the 3 cent deposit knowing you could get 3 pieces of candy. Time to get my head out of the clouds and get my nose back to the grind stone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

My grand ma's cussword was for lands sakes . Dope was information . I am a volunteer at a 1849 US Army fort hear in town . As I was giving a tore of the fort to a class of fourth graders a boy said what go's there? Looking at a empty space . I said That's were we put our T P . He got a disgusted look on his face and said you put your toilet paper there .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:30 pm:

He has as much of a chance as a snowman in hell.

Snow on the roof but there is fire in the furnace.

Up the creek without a paddle.

His ship has not been launched.

Over the lips, watch out stomach, here it comes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tom crosby on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

You Dudes forgot "O Lordy" shame on you, when I was a littl'in we would be walking down the street with grandma and when a car would come screeching bye she would yell out real loud (watch out for that motor) her yelling scared me more than the motor, only toke me a couple of times to figure out what a motor was

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 07:49 pm:

Here's another obscure one that's gone by the way in my lifetime - "trashy" to describe a person, in the sense that they are lazy. Probably regional ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

His eyes are too big for his stomach. (took too much on the plate)

A stitch in time saves nine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Houston---WNC on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 09:36 pm:

don't count your chickens before they hatch
don't put the cart before the horse
don't buy a pig in a poke
don't switch horses in the middle of the creek
that is like closing the barn door after the horse has run off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Remember when speeding was called polite? Most all driving isn't polite nowadays.
"Soda Jerks" have been replaced with "Baristas".

Don - Conroe, TX
Mom used to make me get my own switch.

Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho
Did some blacksmith work last week, making body spoons. But I've seen the real thing with coke and I don't mean Coca-Cola, the real thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

My great-grandmother, who was born in 1866 and died in 1962 (and whom I remember well), always referred to the car as "the machine." When we went somewhere, we went in the machine. I wish I could spend time with her now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Don't take any wooden nickels! and don't spend that all in one place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

Dick - my great-aunt also called cars "machines".

She was born in 1882 and never drove. I remember one time something was said about a car and I asked "What kind of car was it?" to which she replied "oh, it was kind of light blue".

On a side note, she was an "old maid". She tried to get married when she was young but her father wouldn't let her because her suiter was a Democrat.

Try that in today's world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

How about living "The Life Of Riley"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 10:54 pm:

That would give someone a conniption fit!

Especially finding shinola for 19 cents! That's under 2 bits, but it's your nickel.

Imagine my laugh when I heard about the new high end bicycles and watches... named... yep. Wonder of they'll take licking and keep on ticking? Tough as Dempsey in the 9th? Guess we'll have to ask Jean-Claaude Keeley, so don't touch that dial!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 09:50 am:

......take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

I can hear the guy saying that. What was his name? I don't remember. John??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 09:51 am:

John Cameron Swayze. Right? It just came to me. I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Fred, you remembered the Timex commercials

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Drisko on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:10 am:

I used to hear,"Grinin like a bear eatin hornets".(Spelling errors intentional),and "He don't know enough to piss in a boot and empty it". A none swear word my Dad used " Judnish", don't know what it really meant except as a reaction to a surprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:12 am:

"I've forgotten more that you'll ever learn "

"Heavens to Mergatroyd "

"Oh Nellie "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:21 am:

If you were around the Los Angeles area when television arrived you remember wrestling announcer Dick Lane exclaiming, "Whoa, Nellie!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:30 am:

And that's the news. Twice a day with Hemingway. "when I say coffee, I mean FOLGER'S !"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 10:50 am:

In our family Dad would say "and don't give me any of your guff" after telling us to do something that we really did not want to do like chores or going to bed. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 11:32 am:

AH! AH! AH! Don't touch that dial! Listen to Bloooondeee!

Henry! Henry! Henry Aldridge. brought to you by JELLO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 11:34 am:

Pepsi Cola hits the spot.
Two full glasses, that's a lot.
Twice as much for a nickel too,
Pepsi Cola is the drink for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 11:51 am:

my father was born in Norway and came to USA when he was 11. he is going to be 90 in march. still has and drives his 21 roadster that he courted my mother in. he said almost all of the above sayings, but I can add one he still uses.
"UFF DA"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Barcelona area (Spain) on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

When my grandad (born 1890) was ready to leave he used to say "I'm off, like a dirty shirt!"

One of my automotive technology professors once referred to a complex, fast running mechanism as "busier than a one eyed man at a peep show". That tickled me :-) Thanks Dr. Brooker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Norm, for Henry Aldrich, you left off "Coming, Mother!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

So,, does anyone remember who Mergatroyd was anymore?

It was a question on Jeopardy last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Wasn't he the kluge maker?

Well, if we're going to start quoting radio, here you go:

"I dood it!"

George Walsh: "...the story of the violence that moved west with young America, and the story of a man who moved with it.
William Conrad: "I'm that man – Matt Dillon, United States Marshal. It's a chancy job, and it make a man watchful — and a little lonely."

"What a revoltin' development dis is!"

"Shredded Ralston for your breakfast starts the day off shinin' bright,
Filled with lots of cowboy energy and a flavor that's just right.
It's delicious, and nutritious, bite-sized and ready to eat.
Take a tip from Tom, run and tell your mom, shredded Ralston can't be beat."

Bulova watch time, eight PM.

"The Shadow, mysterious figure who aids the forces of law and order, is in reality Lamont Cranston, wealthy young man about town. Years ago in the Orient, Cranston learned a strange and mysterious secret — the hypnotic power to cloud men's minds so they cannot see him. Cranston's friend and companion, the lovely Margot Lane, is the only person who knows to whom the voice of the invisible Shadow belongs."

Jack: "Oh Mister, Mister!"
Frank Nelson: "Yyyessss?

"Cream of Wheat is so good to eat that we have it every day.
We sing this song 'cause it makes us strong, and it makes us shout Hooray!
It's good for growing children, and grownups too, to eat.
For all your family's breakfast, you can't beat Cream of Wheat."

"On King! On, you huskies!"

All of the above is without benefit of Google. I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday, but stuff from seventy years ago is stuck in my head.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 03:15 pm:

Carnation Milk is truely a wonder-No tits to pull nor hay to pitch,just punch a hole in the son of a bitch!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

Bud, I wonder how many variations there are of that one (that I treasure !) ? In my infancy Sego Milk was a local brand of canned milk, and I grew up hearing it this way:

Sego Milk, the best of all,
No teats to pull, no shit to haul,
Sego Milk, so good and rich,
Just punch two holes in the sonofabitch !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

Whenever I hear the overture from William Tell, I hear: "The Lone Ranger rides again!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

My mother used to sing a song about the man on the flying trapeze. It had the words,"Once I was happy but now I'm forlorn, just like a shirt that is tattered and torn." She sang this song as she washed clothes on a Maytag wringer washer. She was washing my dad's shirt. His name was Loren. I thought she was singing, "Once I was happy, but now I'm for "Loren"". Ha! Ha!
Anyway, they came 2 months from their 60th anniversary when she passed. And that was many, many years after she sang that song! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

That one's been around since Christ was a corporal.

(Always wondered if the Sarge blew a gasket over that one).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

Return with us now to those thrilling days of yester-year !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 04:57 pm:

Susanne, you mean back in the brown-shoe days?

Gilbert, I heard that the definition of an intellectual is someone who can hear the William Tell Overture and not think of the Lone Ranger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 30, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

"He's so dumb he couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were written on the bottom."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 06:27 am:

I have heard nearly all of these "quotes", but Bud and Rich, I have never heard either one of those!!! I'm still laughing!! :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 06:43 am:

Back in the mid fifties, when I was about 6 or 7 years old, I started to become a "car guy" listening to the "old" guys talking about Model T's, "Rumley Oil Pull" tractors and steam traction engines. My Dad was not a car guy, except when he had to work on one because we couldn't afford to have them worked on at a shop. I remember him calling what we would now call a "beater", a "Hoopy" because he knew I would be watching. "Well look at that old Hoopy"! I never knew where that term came from and finally looked it up a few years ago. The common term was "Hoopty", I guess he just made it easier to say. :-) I sure miss those days. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 10:21 am:

There is a bank that is run by a crank that has a dandy cashier-He stole every cent and to Canada he went-For the first time in 24 years! We had bit's and pices in a shed,barn,and behind the barn but there was no way my father 1906-1966 would have ever bought a old car.He said he had all that when he grew up.I remember my grandad,and dad and a old friend of theirs talking about perty women of the time they called Looker's! Thank's David! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

Snug as a bug in a rug!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Well, whoopty doo !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

you take a glass of water and it won't be long , you take a BC powder and you come back strong . Sang by Faron Young on his TV show .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

I had an old college professor in a mechanical engineering class talking about engine failures. When asked why one example failed, he said "It came together apart".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration