Need help identifying and estimating value of rear end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need help identifying and estimating value of rear end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By austin boger on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

I need help identifying and determining the value of this rear end for a hopeful sale of the said item. Any help would be much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

It depends on whether it has bronze or babbitt thrust washers!

But seriously, it is probably the most commonly preserved part of a Model T, and they made over 15 million of them. There are some rare, earlier variations, but yours is the most plentiful model, built from 1919-1925.
I guess like everything it depends on local demand, but here in Michigan, I can usually pick up a dozen a year at farm auctions for anywhere from 5 to 35 dollars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

No more than 50.00 and that may be to much.
Most likely the two differential halts are still good but the big question is what's good on the inside. It's a toss up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

IF you knew what to look for and IF you were inclined to do so, and IF your time is worth nothing to you, it might be worth more parting it out. As it sits, there's no way to know whether there are any useable parts whatsoever. One would have to totally disassemble it, clean it up and measure everything to determine what's good and what's not. Few would be willing to spend much on it with no idea if there would be any good parts or not. Known good parts? Those you could sell, but even those don't sell for tons or money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Last year I bought seven rear axles, four of them with drive shaft tubes still attached, for $100. I may have overpaid, but one of them is 1915, so it may actually bring something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

By the way, those wheels are non-T, from the thirties. Maybe somebody who knows about modern cars can ID them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

wheels are 33-34 ford. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

i have paid from 20 to 40 for them laying around like that. I think I took apart 5 or 6 to build the 2 rear axles I used in my 2 car chassis based projects. The inner Hyatt bearings are worth it to me if they are good. Put in new sleeves and use the inner bearings on the outside of the repaired rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

I went to an auction of a large collection of bits. There were 18 axles like that in a pile. The auctioneer put them up, winning bidder to take his pick. A young fellow paid $185 for the only large drum one. He outbid a fellow chasing three 1913-14 items. Put up again, those three made $135 each.

The rest, all 14 of them, I bought for just $40. I still mine bits from those.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

I paid $80 for just the axle shafts and diff' carrier. Housings like that cost even more.
It's all about supply & demand apparently.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration