OT - From West Virginia to California and back.... all in 9 days

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - From West Virginia to California and back.... all in 9 days
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

For the love of cars, we do amazing things. I got a call from a long time friend who is parting with his 70 year collection of early brass era (non-Ford) car parts. He sent me an email several weeks back and said:

"Jim, come to California, and bring your trailer...."

Since I don't really have a truck that will pull my trailer long distances (it's a 1970 C-10) I decided to look into flying out and renting a U-haul for the drive back. I got sticker shock at the prices. So, I opted to gut my 2014 Ford Focus to make room for parts, and ship back anything I decided I had to have but wouldn't fit in my car. I removed the passenger seat and the rear cushion. This allows the rear seat back to lay flat and exposes the trunk area. You can fit a differential and front axle assembly through the opening with no issue.

So Saturday morning, I head west. My trip will take me the southern route via I-40 to avoid weather issues, and will provide me with the opportunity to view the country through the windshield of a modern Ford. The return trip will bring me back the same route, but I plan to spend one day of sight-seeing at the Grand Canyon. Otherwise, it will be a break-neck drive of 9 days to see friends and transport car parts.

I couldn't be more excited about this trip. It will include two days with my friend in Northern California and a day with another good friend, Larry Smith. Otherwise, it's me and the open road.

Larry... put the beer on ice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

Jim...sounds like a nice trip. We've made that trip many-a-time going out to AZ to visit family. Great scenery, I-40 can get a bit boring in Oklahoma with the long, flat stretches though. I'd still take a good stash of winter gear as even that route can get hit with bad winter weather. Don't ask me how I know! Grand Canyon should be beautiful even this time of year. Love that place. Give Larry my regards too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:57 pm:

Tim.. I'm packing warm clothing for sure. I've seen too many pictures of North Texas buried in snow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

After the 2010 MTFCA Annual Meeting in Mesa, AZ, my wife, her expat Aussie friend and I went touring. A lifetime highlight for me was driving through light snow on my 64th birthday into the Grand Canyon. Gone was the mad rush of summer humanity. There were about 6 cars in the rim carpark and not a bus in sight. The different strata in the canyon walls were dusted in snow. It looked like a frosted cake. Altogether a much nicer experience.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Jim,

In your first post you mentioned visiting with Larry (southern CA) and also visiting with a friend in Northern CA. I don't know what route you plan to take from south to north, but be aware that the coastal route (Hiway 101) is still closed due to the flooding that took place a week ago. The current prediction is that 101 will re-open sometime late next week, but Caltrans is notoriously slow in doing road repairs.

The detour around the closure is in the 100's of miles. Hiway 5 is probably a safer bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Dick, thanks for the heads up. I do plan on taking I-5 and staying away from the coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

A stop at Dewars in Bakersfield for a toffee malt or other treat is worth the slight detour. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Steve,

If Jim is anything like me, he would have to plan at least a 1/2 day delay in conjunction with the Dewats stop.

Last October I went to my dentist, who now practices in Bakersfield. When I walked out of the office, half my face was all numbed up. What a perfect excuse to have a "soft" lunch. I headed straight to Dewars and got a big chocolate shake.

But after downing all those calories I was so sleepy I could hardly drive. It was a 120 mile drive home, and I had to pull over and take a nap before I was safe to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Steve... this is perfect. I plan to keep my eyes peeled for these types of places the entire way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Have a safe trip Jim. I've done it. See you on Tuesday. BTW, I got the running boards off your bed, but still need to get the headlights off it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

I bet you'll gain 20 pounds eating fast food in the car so you don't have to stop!!!! Have a Great time and safe travels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

Zingo's on Buck Owens Blvd in Bakersfield for a hamburger or liver and onions! Then to Dewars for desert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

Thanks guys... the car is packed and I'm getting ready to hit the sack. 3:30am comes early!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver - Arthurdale, WV on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

I made that trip out and back, but a 1 1/2 hrs apart. Same I40 route. Went from Morgantown, WV to Monterey and back when I got stationed there for language school. Be safe and have fun. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Passing through Knoxville, TN...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Tucumcari, New Mexico is the first town you hit crossing into New Mexico from the East.

Watsonís BBQ is a must stop.

Say hello to Stella - Jimmy - Big Mike.

They close at 4:30 pm - not open on Sunday.

Time it right & spend the night at the Americana Motel on the West End Of Town - call Sam & ask for Room 101 - sleep a few feet from Route 66.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

I'll have to do that on the return trip! I made it to Little Rock. Done for the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:49 pm:

I donít know why you didnít take your Chevy pick up. Iíve been driving a 1976 C20 with a 9 1/2 ft. Lance camper for years all over the western US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:16 am:

By the way James,

Nice cover on the Model T Times!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration