Floorboards without floor mats. Anyone have this Arrangement?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Floorboards without floor mats. Anyone have this Arrangement?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

Just received new hardwood floorboards for my ’26 roadster. Considering leaving the floor mat out. The mat is an extra hassle for maintenance purposes and I rather like the idea of a natural wood finished floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

No reason why you couldn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:23 pm:

I've had the floor boards lift up when going down the road into a strong headwind when running without the mat. Kinda scary. I could not push the brake. Luckily, I had room to coast off to the side and get them back where they belonged. Would it have done that with the mat? Maybe, but I think the mat helps hold them down and hold them together. It's not happened since, but I don't know that I have driven in such a head wind since then either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

My Betsy came to me that way. I got tired of keeping them clean and polished and eventually bought a mat. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

I plan to leave my floor with mats. I made my own floors and finished them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:49 pm:

My 46 Dodge 1 ton, in the summer at 55MPH the floor board would float! I guess if you live and drive in a dry place like AZ no mat would be ok but with those smooth ones, looks like a great place to slip getting in and out for us that drive in more moist areas. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

Bob:
About half way up on the risers, there should be a riveted piece of metal that is turned to keep wood in place.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

I've been thinking about buying one but I like to raise it up on the right side and reach in and turn the gas on and off at the sediment bulb. A lot easier than crawling under but a floor mat might make it harder. I had one years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:57 pm:

Thanks all for the pictures and recommendations.

Am going to go sans floor mat and see how it goes. If I find there are slipping or other issues, I can always reinstall it.

Bob, I do have the floorboard clips and with the lap joints in the new boards, this should keep them in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

New floorboards installed. Before and after photos.

Even though I ordered a pre cut kit, each floorboard had to be tweaked and hand fit to my ’26 runabout floor. They came up a little short from top to bottom, had to add the spacer to take up the gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:16 pm:

Nice photos. Anybody have an old floor mat they don't need anymore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Nice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Wow! Very nice! They won't slip out of place. I wouldn't want to cover them either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:32 am:

Thanks all!

Mark L. I don’t think you would want my old floor mat, holes where they shouldn’t be, slots too big, tears etc. :-)

Mark S. Your new floorboards look great with the polyurethane finish. I just stained mine with a linseed oil mix. Will see how it holds up.

Jerry, Thanks to the lap joints and the swivel clips the floorboards should stay put.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:48 am:

I screw them down in 2 places on each side and then install thick insulating carpet before installing the rubber mat. It keeps things cooler and quieter in the car. The pictured floor boards are pretty though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 02:29 am:

Many people new to the hobby and their first trip pulling their T behind them on an open trailer have arrived at the tour only to find that a floor board or two flew up and then landed enough sideways to exit the trailer from either above or below. Generally a good idea on a long haul to wrap the floorboards up in the floor mats and put them in the trunk of the tow vehicle. I lost a floor mat that way and was just lucky not to have lost the front floor board too since it was laying on the flooring of the open trailer when I arrived at my destination. The normal strong wind during regular towing is increased dramatically when a large semi truck is just about even with the front edge of the trailer as the 2 vehicles pass each other. I have an enclosed trailer now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 04:37 am:

Don't install the main floorboard upside down. You won't be able to shift into high. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 05:41 am:

This is how she was when I got her, and its how I've been driving it the last (almost ) 2 years, and it's how she's going to stay... 92 years original

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration