Adding a starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Adding a starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alan landeen on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

I want to add a starter to my 1916 engine will a flywheel with a ring gear and magnets out of a 1926 engine fit my 1916? any advise on this project would be greatly appreciated thanks Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

Alan, the flywheel assembly will fit. You also need to change the magneto coil plate to a notched one to clear the Bendix drive on the starter.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

I would like to develop an external starter that would use the front pulley the hand crank uses to start the car Cut off the crank and square the end. Something like they use to start Indy Cars. Battery could be stored on board and starter plugged in to high amp plug mounted up front.
No engine modifications needed. This has to be possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

Bob,

Eveready had it. It was a dyno-starter.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Don't forget the hoghead and change the clutch pedal.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

Andre
Thanks. That is interesting. Must have been one stout motor. I also have seen one that was essentially a wind up spring affair.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration