Never thought Id ever see the day>>>>>

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Never thought Id ever see the day>>>>>
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

Never thought Id ever see the day down here in sunny Florida that its just to cold to drive the T to the Thursday night cruise in. My bird bath was frozen solid this morning. This has been a cold winter down here this year, That said its still better than what you guys up north are dealing with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

Will,

Was the bird still in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

Nope, We got some smart birds down here. I heard it was in the 20's in Jacksonville last night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

I'd hate to think how cold it would be if not for global warming. That ought to stir the pot........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

2017 was the 2nd. (U.S. measurement) or 3rd (U.K. measurement) hottest GLOBAL year on record, Wont know how 2018 will rate until this time next year when data from the entire planet is compiled.
Currently, while most ofthe U.S. is seeing an extended cold spell, Australia is experiencing record heat waves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

10 inches of snow here and 11 degrees this morning
I know what you mean I'm in piedmont nc. Philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

Still dealing with the 3 inches we got Tuesday night. Starting to remind me of the winters in the 70s where the ponds would freeze and we would ice skate from January to March

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

We feel like summer has arrived. It is going to be in 30's for a few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

I remember some really cold days in September when stationed at Homestead AFB Fla. back in '69/70. Didn't have enough clothes to keep warm on the flight line. Also think I recall Jacksonville snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

7 degrees here this morning.
Seven inches of snow yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:14 pm:

about 4.5 inches of snow here and it was down to 9 last night according to 1 thermometer and 10 on another. I am SICK of this Arctic circle life.I am ready for SPRING!

I wonder if a big net on the northern border would catch this cold air before it got here? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

Pipes froze up at the garage where the T is, just south of New Orleans. Have to go down there and turn off water at the street, as I don't want a T-cicle. Business has been closed since Tuesday afternoon and closed tomorrow. So many pipes have broken that water pressure went below 15psi and now we have a Boil-advisory. We can't drink or shower in the public water. I'm used to this from Virginia, probably the only resident to have snow chains in the car trunk but it's amazing what 1/2 inch and freezing rain did to this city.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

Geez, southern Saskatchewan today - 50F. Not enough snow to get your ankles wet. Yeah, I'll take our winters any day. REAL winters here though are a bugger but this is our third warm winter in a row and I love it. Fits in with retirement real nice.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 07:49 pm:

jerry, that was a great one! about laughed so hard had tears rolling on that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 11:56 pm:

-Will-
Up here, we just deal with what comes our way. Our thermostat controlled bird bath gets plugged in with first ice cover. Different critters come for their winter drink of water, but haven't seen any of them jumping in for a 'bath' since last fall. We're supposed to be getting a January thaw soon, so it's a wait & see.

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:02 am:

Marv, we had our thaw today so you should get yours tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:57 am:

-Dean-
I'm hoping for more than just a day....
BTW, 'Good Luck' to your guys this weekend. It's been a "long-time never" for both squads. My son-in-law (from Eveleth) is still gloating.

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 09:41 am:

Marv, I do the same thing. Before Irma I had a big avocado tree in my back yard. Last winter was really dry, We didn't see a drop of rain for 8 months so I put a watering dish designed for baby chickens in the tree for the birds and what ever else needed a drink. It worked very well. We had a large variety of different birds stop in for a drink. The squirrels even stopped in for a drink. Irma took out my avocado so that's when I put out a bird bath for the wild life. I clean and change the water every day for them. Possibility the reason your not getting much wildlife may be because most of them migrated down here for the winter.

Dale, I agree with the record heat, Last summer was brutal heat. With the heat and humidity it was hard to do anything outside.. My electric bill was almost double of what it was in 2016 trying to keep the house cool.

Charlie, The one thing most folks don't understand about the south is that the real feel of the temperature is a lot different than it is up north plus folks down here are acclimated to must higher heat. In the north when the temperature drops so dose the humidity drop with it. Here when the temperature drops the humidity can actually raise making the real feel much colder. Case in point, Yesterday afternoon when I was considering going to the cruise in temperature was 54 but the reel feel was 43. Its a little better towards the interior of the state but I am very close to the ocean and we get the sea breeze which can make a big difference in the real feel of the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Joe,

Glad to be of service. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:12 am:

Here in Naples FL it got down to 40 for the last couple of nights. Cold by SW Florida standards - the weather people said that it was the coldest weather here since 2010.
BTW Will - didja ever get any Avocados from your tree? We have a big, healthy-looking Avocado tree that has never had an Avocado on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:03 am:

Well, we have three great seasons here in New York State ... and some people actually like winter. Me .. not so much, but it comes with the territory. I don't like excessively hot places unless I'm neck deep in water. I was in Florida last winter for a few days and I liked the beaches ... though they were pretty cold for swimming at that time. The thing that got me was how uninteresting the landscape was. Aside from the amazing trees and swamp lands, all roads were straight both from side to side and elevation. It seamed like strip mall to strip mall. We have great scenery in New York. Our wooded parks are larger than all of the western parks combined. And there are tons of interesting historic towns and ... flea markets / antique shops. I can see going South in the dead of winter to get away from the cold ... but would't want to leave the beautiful change of seasons we have up here and the mild weather. Oh ... we also don't have to worry about hurricanes, earthquakes, tornados, droughts, forest fires or mudslides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:39 am:

-Will, Mark, and others-
It's not hard to identify with what you're saying. But Will, you can keep your humidity! It was 5 degrees F last week when I went out to blow snow, just my boots, jeans, a t-shirt & sweat shirt with my denim coveralls and a stocking cap on my head... The blower has an electric start and is self-propelled. Back in the house after the half-hour job of clearing both driveways, clothing was 'quite damp', and to put it gently.... The extra humidity can stay well to the south! Yet Jamaica has been quite tolerable when there...

And Mark, "Hear'in Ya!" But, we're quite pleased to also live in a quiet 'fly-over' State.

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:50 am:

Hey, we got 4 seasons down here, too. We call them Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer, and Christmas.

Must still be Christmas. Had to scrape frost off the windshield this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:04 pm:

John, Are Avocado tree was about ten years old, It would supply us with a couple of hundred of avocados every other year. Maybe your needs more water and maybe some food, I would take a sample of the soil around the tree in for testing. The feeder roots are about ten feet from the tree. Just a note, A avocado tree will flower for the following years fruit. I lost most of my orange and lemon trees due to the lack of rain. I tried to keep them watered but it didn't help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:14 pm:

Its global warming! I sure hope they get a handle on it before we all freeze to death! Darryl, shivering in NC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

Mark, I spent most of my life in Northern NY. I was born in Massena, NY. I lived in St Lawrence county all my life util I joined the Army in 79. I know all about NY winters, Had my fill of them. I noticed that I was being to really dislike the cold when I would take the dog for a walk and couldn't feel my toes when I got done, One day it dawned on me why the birds were flying south. If something as stupid as a bird has the common sense to leave the cold then I had to wonder who was smarter, Me or those stupid birds! Not be out smarted by a bird I did the same thing. The difference was I didn't want to be a snow bird. I moved down here three years ago and if I ever go north again it will not be a farther than Georgia or Alabama. It may get warm down here but I'm not worried about my car not starting, Or my water or septic freezing here. Up north I lived through the blizzard of 77, The ice storm of 91 and the Micro burst of 1995. There was even a couple of very mild earthquakes in 1981 and 2014 I think. I have one winter coat that up north would be considered fall wear!There was a learning curve here, I had to learn that standing on a Fire Ant hill is highly not recommended, In fresh water you eat the fish, In salt water the fish eat you, and I'm most reminded is the difference in a Yankee. A Yankee is someone who comes south and leaves, A Damm Yankee is some who comes south and stays! Plus the fishing is amazing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

And if you move back to AL, GA or the like, you become a "Halfback".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration