Todays Ruckstell question Re; thrust bearing/housing fit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Todays Ruckstell question Re; thrust bearing/housing fit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

At some time in the past the thrust bearing spun in the housing. I have not checked at this point the gap between the housing and bearing. I need suggestions on how to fix. I have done the shim to fix on one housing but is not an easy job to keep shim in place and assemble the rear end. I am thinking sleeve or bearing lock on final assembly but am open to suggestions.
Thanks
PS because of cost, a different housing is not a real option at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:48 pm:

I've used a stiff shim that does't collapse. On one occasion, I glued the shim to the housing. I held it in place while drying with a free ball bearing that I removed later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:39 pm:

What kind of glue did you use? Maybe something like sleeve lock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:52 am:

You can get a thicker thrust bearing and not use shimms behind the steel washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:07 am:

Locktite Bearing Retainer. I've used it on several loose bearings on farm machinery.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration