OT -- What Brand of Visible Pumps Are These?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT -- What Brand of Visible Pumps Are These?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

I know this is off topic but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that might be able to help. (Charlie Shaver is one person who might know.) I have posted this query to several gas pump groups and no one seems knows the answer.

I am posting photos of two different Purity Oil Company gas stations from the 1920s. There were four of these stations in Springfield, Missouri, and others in SW Missouri. Can anyone tell me what gas pump company made the visible pumps in these photos? They are four sided, with a tapering width, and have a large square, overhanging top hat (or top cover). Someone told me these pumps were made by the Springfield Pump Company (in Springfield, Tennessee) but those are very rare and I have never seen a picture of one.

I have a very rare Purity Oil Co. globe and I would like to track down one of these pumps to restore someday.

Purity1
Purity2
PurityGlobe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Rick, the pump is a Milwaukee model 625.Made in 1925. Milwaukee Tank Works began making pumps from 1906 to1935 in Wisconsin. Tim Franko

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Here is an old advertisement for Milwaukee Model 585/625. It has 6 sides (not 4) and the sides do not taper. I don't think that is what it is, unless I have the wrong ad.

MilwaukeeAd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

looks to be a dart made in ia. i have one i will see if i can find pics. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 07:28 pm:

Sorry to bump this but I'm still drooling over that ?SF24? IH truck.
Cast front wheels but no brake drums. The (29) leftovers I have sport the drums and cast wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Bowser?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:56 am:

here is my dart pump ,it is the only one with square cast hat that i know of. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bridges on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:06 pm:

I'm a long-time lurker but first post. I have a 1924 Coupe. The old visible pumps are fascinating to me because my great grandfather Edwin Vonde Veld invented this one sometime around 1910 in Willard, NM. His Patent No. 1,276,136 is dated 1916. I have never found one or found any discussion about it.

He continued to improve the design and moved his operation to El Paso, TX where he built them and had several filling stations. This one was on Dyer Rd.
His patents for the later, taller model (1,464,893) are dated 1923. Any of this sound or look familiar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Paul,
Thank you so much for sharing this with us
-Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration