Front oil seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Front oil seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold Chambers on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Or they anyway repairing front crankshaft oil seal without putting the motor out..thanks in advance Harold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Yes, take the timing gear cover off and grap one end of the rope seal with needle nose pliers and pull it out from around the crankshaft. The half in the timing gear cover is easily removed.
When reinstalling a new one in the pan, get some wire and tie it to one end of the seal and snake it around the crank. Greasing the seal makes it easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Or.... you can pull the pulley off, clean the crank shaft up with some emery cloth, an install a modern seal with the rim cut off. silicone or right stuff glue it ,flat face to the cover. I've been running one for years. There is something posted on this .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Tytlandsvik on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:22 am:

So basically you are glueing the seal to the front face of the timing cover???????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:58 am:

That is what John is describing and it is a common fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:08 am:

If the existing seal is not so old that its rotted, you can pull the timing cover off and compress the lower seal using a flat faced punch and add in additional bits of a new seal to fill the space, then install a new upper half.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

Dan, I have done what you say and mine still leaks. I also have one of those high volume outside oilers. Could that be my problem?
Dennis Anderson
Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

I forgot to mention that I also glued a modern oil seal on the timing cover as discribed and I still have an oil leak.
Dennis Anderson
Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 03:13 pm:

Drips or runs out? These cars were never built to be completely drip free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Mark, It slowly seeps out when the engine is running. Then the fan belt picks it up and slings on the hood and firewall.
Dennis Anderson
Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Yeah me too, and slings oil and aluminum mix all over firewall and down the mudguard. I to was looking for a easy way round it. I am running a modern oil seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 04:46 am:

Chris, Do you have one of those high volume outside oil lines that comes off the hogs head?
Dennis Anderson
Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Gene Carrothers talks about gluing a modern seal on the outside behind the pulley but darn if I could find the instructions for doing so. Maybe someone else has the link saved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 11:55 am:

Apparently many are still using the felt seal. I have been using the rope type seal sold by Chaffins and have never had one fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Rope or felt, a lot boils down to how smooth/round the surface of the crank is where it seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

I've posted many times an idea from Garrett Green, Montana 500 winner, the perfect solution to Eliminate any oil leaks at the crankshaft.

You can Google MTFCA crankshaft leaks and my name and find lots of info and pictures.

Yes it is a modern seal simply glued with ULTRA BLACK from Permatex to the outside of front cover. Please PM me if you'd like more info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Go down to Jan 15 3:58;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/120988.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 04:18 am:

I agree with Mark G. No seal is going to work if the shaft surface isn't nice and smooth. If it is, the modern lip seal installed with some ultra black will work great. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 04:21 am:

Oh yeah, make sure the surface where the ultra black is going on is squeaky clean before you put it on. It has to have at least a chance to work. :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration