Coil box color

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Coil box color
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

I am in the process of restoring the mahogany firewall on my 1910 T, and I've used a beautiful cherry red stain by Laurel Mountain Forge. The JB coil box I have was previously restored and looks beautiful, but the stain is more of the traditional brown. Should the coil box color match the firewall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:17 pm:

A lot of restorers strive for that, but I don't think it was ever an issue with Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

3 or 4 company's making coils and boxes, someone else making firewalls. Each lot of stain is different and each Co has there own mix, I would think it would of been unlikely that they would match. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:54 am:

I guess that makes sense about the various suppliers and the color variations, but I think the colors on mine are a bit too drastic- what do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Bill,

Id tend to agree with RV...two different sources two different colors.

The other thing to consider is the base wood...unless the veneer and the box are the same material, you get two different colors with the same stain...unless (again) you use a spit coat of shellac to seal the surfaces a bit and use the stain more like a glaze

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

If you look under the switch on an original 09-10 Kingston box, the surviving finish is more of a deep brownish orange than red, very similar to the color on Bill's box. I'd bet it was originally an orange shellac. If so, then it's possible that the dash used a similar finish. However, the later boxes (1912 and later) do have that deep, slightly purple, red, and surviving firewalls, under the steering column flange and the brackets, show that same blood red color. They may be stained and clear coated. I've never had the opportunity to test one to find out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration