1915 Horn Mounting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1915 Horn Mounting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Can someone post a photo on how the 1915 Horn mounts please.

Thanks

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8124.html

Also this old thread may help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

John,

The 1915s used either the bulb horn or the electric horn. I believe more of them had the bulb horn as the magneto horn was not phased into all production until October'ish 1915 on the 1916 model year cars. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc15.htm

"(According to another letter dated April 17, 1915, the bulb horns were still being used on some production at that date.)"

"OCT 16 Acc. 575, Box 19, Ford Archives
Electric horns specified for all 1916 cars. Notes that 10,000 electric horns were used in 1915 but the wording is such that there may have been more."

See the posting at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8124.html for photos of where both styles are mounted on the dash.

Additional details and photos for both styles at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/214542.html?1307583326

Hooking up a bulb horn see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/496499.html

Why the 1915 bulb horn has a scallop base see:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/556284.html?1437609856

Let folks know which style you have and they can answer other questions for you (such as wiring for the Mag Horn or routing the tubing for the blub horn.)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

This one is better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

Dan's photo shows the magneto horn hanging off just one bolt. Those with which I am familiar use both bolts. There is a relief in the wooden firewall to accommodate the back of the horn body.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 02:24 am:

One horn mounting bolt is the steering column bolt, the other is just where the single mount bolt is in the picture--the horn is just a little right of where it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 02:49 am:

Mine is like Steve Jelf's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:26 am:

I like the cuff on your horn Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:14 am:

Standard also made horns. It appears the horn on the car that Dan posted needs to be moved over to the next bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

As a horn for a '15 and most others, were an accessory, the type of horn and mounting brackets may vary from one maker to the other. When I acquired my '15 there was no evidence of a horn of any form, however there was the horn wire tube on the underside of the steering column. This would therefore infer that an electric (magneto) horn was intended. I had purchased a brass magneto horn with a bracket that mounted on the water outlet on the side of the block, other brackets mount on the block and firewall. The bulb horn had an optional bracket for the firewall. I don't know if my 15 was an early or later version, it had the forked headlight brackets and the horn wire tube, indicative of early and later issues. Because I had the accessories I mounted two models of horns I still have the hand Klaxon but I didn't want to drill holes in the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

David, your magneto horn bracket is a 1926-7 item, which allows the horn to be mounted to the engine below the engine compartment mounted coilbox. It does not belong on a brass bell magneto horn, but it obviously does a job. If your car has an original wooden firewall, the evidence for mounting a magneto horn would be two bolt holes about where your bulb horn is mounted. On wrong hand drive cars one of the holes is used to mount the steering column. On our right hand drive cars the two holes are dedicated to the horn bracket, as shown in Dan's first photo.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

I have not before read that the horn was an accessory. Different suppliers, yes, but pretty much standard mounting. Domestic '15s and '16s had the electric horn mounted on one steering column bolt and an individual bolt through the firewall, AFAIK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

You don't have to drill holes in the car to mount a mechanical horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:28 am:

I know my electric horn is non-consistent but I had it and the 26-27 bracket in my parts stock and without any modifications the components fit. I felt it was better to be on the car than on the shelf. At the time of the installation I researched all the manuals including the 1915 T parts book and there was no horn listed nor was there a mounting hole in the original firewall. In Clymer's book of 1955 states that the bulb horn for 1915 will appear no more there is no mention of an electric horn in the text. It is unclear if the bulb horns were available from the factory or the dealers/jobbers. Bulb horns were not mentioned in any of the parts catalogs only in the accessory books. Lang's lists a mag horn bracket for 1915 Snyder's lists the same bracket starting in 1917. The Ford Wholesale parts book lists mag horns (complete assembly), battery horns and battery horn mounting bracket, however there is no specific years assigned. The Ford Price List of Parts and Accessories 1909 - 1921 lists a mag horn only with no specific years listed. 1914 had the bulb horns mounted on the outside of the engine compartment and 1915s on the inside was this a dealer/jobber assembly or factory? You could take the horn bracket from a 1917 and install it on a '15, none of us were around then so who knows? You could purchase models with out head lights, rear view mirrors, a windshield wiper, horn and you could order non- electric units. I don't know when horns were required by law. Even in to the mid 50 you could order a car with no heater or turn signals although a horn and headlights was required by then. On my car even though the steering column was fitted with the electric horn wire tube and the tube was pre-drilled and threaded for the horn button there was no horn and there were no hole(s) in the firewall pre-drilled to mount a horn. The horn issue is somewhat unclear however I am of the belief that a horn was an accessory up to the time they became required by law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:57 am:

The bulb horn you have is a 1912 torpedo horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Steve Jelf,
Is that mounting bracket your design?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:41 am:

John Memmelaar
I have a June 4, 1915 Model T Runabout S/N 810984 with a Magneto horn. Here is the was it is mounted.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

Robbie, yes, it's home made. Just a piece of 1/8" flat stock folded over. Here are a couple more views.

Inner tube for padding.

Set screws press a wood spacer against the inside wall panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:42 pm:

I think the early horns were all things to all people and there doesn't appear to be a consensus as to their application, installation, availability models etc. Some claim they only made brass others say the brass was painted black and others say the brass was replaced with steel and others say they were never steel. Bruce Mcauley's book raises some questions, the parts books are unclear and non conclusive. This has all the ear marks of the horns being non standard and/or installed as an after market unit or at the dealers or jobbers thereafter. Also possibly as an accessory from the factory. There are many horn styles and several different mounting brackets. I don't think there is a correct mounting bracket or location for a horn except on the later models. As I said before my column was pre-drilled and threaded with the wire tube however there was still no horn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

How many Rip Van Winkle cars are there? Mighty few. Is there even one Model T whose owners have all kept a record of everything they did to it? Almost all Model T's have been altered in some way. Even one-family cars with a known history often have alterations. Factory photos and other records may tell us which specific version of a particular part is typical for a given year, but that doesn't apply to all parts. Some items remain subjects of guesswork and speculation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

Ron P's horn is mounted the way the books show it should be. My Dec '15 touring ('16 model) has a Brassco magneto horn, really cool looking horn, but I can't say if it came with it originally. My car is still in pieces, so no pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Thank you Ron for posting the correct mounting of the Horn. It seems like I have the correct horn and bracket but someone bent my bracket 90 degrees throwing me off a little.

John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration