Still looking for a pattern for 1911 top boot...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Still looking for a pattern for 1911 top boot...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

Still looking for a pattern or detailed photos of original 1911 top boot.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/821811.html?1514834345

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:57 am:

Keith, I have to ask, what is your opinion as to NO RESPONSE to your post ??? Please let me explain, about maybe a year ago I posted a similar ad and also received no response. Is it possible that they are just not available or no one wants to give up there top boots for a short time for the use of a pattern ??? I even offered to build the supplier a new one for just the cost of the material, still no response !!! Do you have a opinion or idea, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this Keith, I believe a fitted boot will be a classy feature for your 11. I suspect that among the various top suppliers for 1911, there were likewise multiple variations of this boot design. Per the photo here, not clear what the fabric hanging over the rear corner of the car is? Also curious why there are no center stay straps laying against the seat back?
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Keith: I have an original Ford boot for my '13 roadster. I'm willing to loan it to you to copy. The techniques would be the same as for the 1911. All you would need to do is alter the dimensions to fit your car. I've done a lot of research on the 1913 top covers (boots) and have determined there were two manufactures of them, they are similar, but slightly different. I made a new copy of that '13 top cover for my '13 roadster, and it looks and fits very nicely. I also used original old stock fasteners for it, including the eyelet for the center strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

I can't believe Mike at Classtique can't help. He sure seemed to know everything about '12s & '13s, made a fantastic correct boot for my '13 to go along with his fantastic top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:35 pm:

John-
That is part of the mystery. Although the 1911 cars "did not have a top boot," there is plenty of photographic evidence that shows there were top boots available, maybe not from Ford, but from somewhere.

Larry-
I'd love to borrow a 1913 top boot. We'll connect off line.

Tim-
I'm working with Mike. He says he has a pattern for a 1912 top boot, but says it is different from the 1911. I dunno, I'm waiting to see a pic of his 1912 boot. Mike will be in Portland for the Portland Swap Meet and we are going to get together. I suggested that while he is out west he should go on down to Bakersfield the following weekend.

Original, aftermarket, or pattern with the flap on top. This is what I'm looking for, folks:

This artist's drawing is from the 1912 (Nov 1911) manual:

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Keith, I still have an original top boot from Fred's stuff. As soon as I can I'll try to see what it fits. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Keith....did you ever get those pics I sent you of the 1912 boot Mike at Classtique made for me??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 01:23 am:

Jeff-
Yes I did. I thought I had replied. My apologies.
Mike does nice work, and I want to have it correct for my 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 05:08 pm:

Notice on the photos above the Murphy fasteners are poking against the inside of the boot, which would cause a hole to wear through.

Here is a grainy photo of a top boot on a 1911 that is a little different. It looks like it uses the Murphy fasteners on the top bows to attach it, which I think is a very smart idea.

Here is a top boot that a friend on mine has. It uses the Murphy fasteners on the top bows to attach it, plus some snaps.

I'm thinking of a modified version of this, but with the rectangular flap on the top instead of diagonal.

Still looking for other ideas or images.

Kim, I look forward to seeing what you have.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Keith: My offer is still good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Thank you, Larry. I would like to borrow it, take a skillion pictures, try it on the bows for a fit, make a pattern, and have Mike make one for me.

If you ship it up this way, I can have Mike bring it down when he comes to Bakersfield.

Let me know your slow-boat shipping cost.

Or is anyone driving up this way from Sunny Lomita?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 - 12:03 pm:

I've made quite a few top covers myself, and the best bet is to make a paper pattern with the top in the lowered position. If the front and back bows aren't absolutely straight up and down, (90 degrees to the road), your boot will not look right. I found this to be the case on my '13 roadster, which has the original bows. I had to index the top and bottom of the boot to the skirt, making pencil marks every inch. Now, the boot fits like a glove. Something I've noticed on many reproduction boots, they failed to sew in the welt on the top and bottom sides. Also, the reinforcements for the leather straps are shaped differently on the early boots than the later ones. You will not be able to try my boot on your touring, because it is from a roadster. You will have to increase the distance from top to bottom to accomplish this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, February 08, 2018 - 11:17 pm:

Harry Daw sent me these pictures:

The side has no "flap"

The two outer straps are attached to the top of the boot (or cover for Larry) The center strap is attached to the bottom and is threaded up between the rear curtain and the body to keep the top from ballooning up.

Thank you for sending pictures, Harry!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / Lakeland Mn. on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 08:31 am:

The top boot on Harry Daw’s Car......
That looks just like the top boot that Mike at Classtique made for my 1912 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, February 09, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

Hope the pictures of my boot will help those that may need ideas. I had a couple of pictures of boots on T's like the ones on this thread. Took those and my 11 to a very skilled man. He cut out paper patterns and then made the boot you see. He did a very good job. Sorry for the wrinkles. It was cold in the garage last night and it did not smooth out very good.
Harry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration