Loose nut on steering wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Loose nut on steering wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

I have had a washer here since I put this T together and I just don't recall seeing a washer in this application on other T's.The nut as you see tightens before the wheel is snug,hence the need for a washer on mine.
Is there a issue that would prompt the need for a washer here?

I know I need to get the stuff polished up.Sitting in the shed for a couple years untouched did not do it any good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Oh, thank heavens ! I thought this thread was going to be about me and that "incident" down at the co-op. Whew !!

Seriously Mack, you may want to take a look inside the planetary case and make sure things are in order in there. There should be a "washer" above the sun gear. Perhaps there's a lot of wear in the gear case cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

Can the nut be drilled and tapped deeper without busting through?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

-Mack-
Do different model years have different steering wheel nuts? We know there are different gears.
Since I've not experienced exactly what you're describing, the caution is still this: "Beware The loose nut behind the steering wheel in that other guy's car."

Take Care; Behave; Stay Warm (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:30 pm:

Didnt the earlier cars use a higher nut? Seems like the later cars used a steel nut with a shorter crown. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Good question. Brass nut on my '13 isn't that deep either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Mack

Is that a stock T spider? Odd parts will fit up differently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

This is a aluminum spider on a "stop sign "shaped steering wheel. I don't know about different nuts,I bought the brass cause I like it.:-)
But I will see if I can find a exploded view of the gear box. This is a 5-1 ratio box I installed on a earlier column. There is no play in the gears,all seems well with that. I was concerned about it and checked that last week thinking it had slop but it is the TT that has some slop in the gear box. My feeble mind can't keep track of much any more :-).

I should check my fat man wheel on here and see how it fits,maby it wont need a washer. But I am hoping to use it on the speedster. That thing cost me a Whizzer motor bike motor that a friend dug up behind his house.:-) Don't get them that cheap any more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:41 am:

With an aftermarket steering wheel, it could be as simple as the part not being made to Ford print.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Usually there is a loose NUT behind the wheel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:09 am:

Well there is a loose,lost nut behind the wheel,but he's harmless!:-)

I got a Pm letting me know that some after market wheels came with a different nut so a washer is going to be needed.No biggie,I just don't want blatant issue's if and when i can get this thing on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:15 am:

Ford never made a nut like the one you pictured. That one would have been steel, and raven finished. What you most likely have is a reproduction, which probably wasn't made correctly in the first place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

The stock spider measures one inch at the hub :

The shaft measures a little under one inch where the steering wheel is keyed on :

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

I bet it's the nut. I have swapped them from car to car with no issues. Jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:21 pm:

Rich B. I see you have dropped your calipers like I did and the dial is 180 degrees out.Take .001-.002 shim stock cut to be the size of the rack that is in the grove insert shim and close the caliper a bit,takes some trial and error,but what you are doing is getting the teeth to jump into a different position.A retired tool and die maker show this to me. Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Peter, thanks much for the tip !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration