OT Licking the beater - A Painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Licking the beater - A Painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Like some of the old expressions we don't use any more I was remembering licking the beater when Mom baked stuff. I suppose kids still get to but my memories are of way back.
My Father took a photo of his brother and I am trying to paint from it. I thought it might bring back some memories.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Sure does! I always got to lick the beater and the bowl when Grandma made cake icing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Richard: In years past if we had someone visiting here we would make a batch of Ice Cream and the visiting person would get to lick the Ice cream paddle. Ofcourse there were photos of the event to take.
We had a friend (deceased) that was visiting and he had the honor and that story went back to Germany and I guess he had a lt of un showing the photos and telling the story about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

I forgot about making ice cream. We put the handle in the Model A spokes to turn it a few times in the 60's. Great fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Another good painting Rich !! I love the detail !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Thanks Rich. I keep trying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

Nice work Richard! I was allowed to like beaters as well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 07:18 pm:

And I still do! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Gotta' be careful or your tongue gets stuck on the up-stroke! I remember!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Ouch Harold. I think many of us admired the mechanism of those beaters. At least those of us who are fascinated with cars and the like. They do have a crank on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Very nice, Rich!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:28 am:

Amazing job. I thought it was a photograph until I read the posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:30 am:

Yep, me and my grandson "fought" over the beaters, just this last Christmas, as he stayed with us for a few days, and "Mimi" did her holiday baking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:07 am:

What's baking?? The oven was the mystery appliance in my house. Occasionally it was used to heat up a TV dinner or frozen pizza. The best thing dear old Mom made for dinner was 'reservations'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:00 am:

As a kids in the middle of the last century we always licked the beaters but when the warnings came out about getting salmonella from the raw eggs in the batter,that practice sort of went by the wayside. Mom was an RN so the bad things she saw on the job lead to stricter practices at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:12 am:

It was my birthday in around 1954 or 1955. I was 6 or 7. My mom and my aunt were making a birthday cake for me. I was told to sit at the kitchen table, then given the beaters and the bowl to lick.

When I was finished I climbed off the chair, picked up the bowl and headed for the sink. It was a large bowl. Both my mom and my aunt said, "Wait! I'll get the bowl!" To late. I fell with it shattering on the floor. I still have a scar on the palm of my left hand. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:29 am:

If I'm baking and my 30-something kids are home, they still fight over the beater. But, if my granddaughter is there, too, she gets precedence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

Just be sure they've stopped spinning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Where are you guys getting the picture? Is there a separate website? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:02 pm:

Ignore previous post--took my 'puter long time to download. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:56 pm:

Marty,

I'll think twice about eating anything that comes off those beaters...

(Be there about 5:30PM!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

Mom always let as long as she lived and my asks. So of course I am like a child and run looking to see what is sweet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:26 am:

Fantastic painting Rich.
It's funny, your uncle looks a whole lot like one of my grandsons (some years from now). :-)
Even the eyes and hair are right. That looks like my Gavin in about 10 years or so.
I do have a similar beater right behind me.
That shirt! I swear I've had one of those tickling/touching/knawing/needling things on me before. Oh yeah, I can remember...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 01:23 am:

Can still imagine the taste. My doctor wouldn't let me do it now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

All my childhood, my mother let me 'lick' the beaters, even if the mixture contained eggs and I've lived to be 70. Now, my wife says that I shouldn't 'lick' the beaters if the mixture contains eggs because I might get sick. (uncooked eggs) I still do it when I can get away with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 07:40 am:

I swear if everything killed you that they claim will kill you, the earth would be a desolate place. I'm not gonna drink a glass full of raw eggs. Not so much because I'm afraid to. It's just gross. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna worry about some cake batter or cookie dough having some raw eggs in it. As for doctors not allowing it, you really think there is enough cholesterol in what tiny bit of batter you could lick off a beater to clog your arteries? Lick the beater and don't tell him about it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:40 am:

When I was 12-15 years old I'd work on my grandparents ranch during the summer. During the fruit harvest we'd have breakfast then get started working at the crack of dawn. By 10:00 AM we needed something to carry us until lunch time.

My grandfather would get two cans of Brown Derby beer from the cellar (he never refrigerated it), go to the kitchen and set them on the table, get out two glasses and four eggs. We'd each crack an egg into our glass, fill it with half the can of beer, and "down the hatch" it went. Then we'd have the second egg and the rest of the beer in the same way. Then we went back to working in the orchard.

I suppose he'd be sent to prison for doing that today with a kid. I'm now 70 and still kicking. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:48 am:

I knew someone many years ago that would say to me, "next you'll be looking for egg in your beer!" Didn't get it then and still don't. But now I've heard it from someone other than him. Good man that Patty Walsh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

What does the egg do in the beer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:36 am:

Not much. It just sort of settles to the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:40 am:

I used to eat all kinds of raw dough, cookie, egg noodles, bread, pie crust, etc. Sure do miss that now, thanks to all of the "assembly line" foods that we have now. :-( Don't have any idea how we all survived without all of the "safety features"/rules that we now have. If the EPA and OSHA and all of the other agencies that "protect" us saw what we did for entertainment back in the '50's through the '80's, I'm sure they would have a stroke! But damn, we sure had fun!!! :-) (and lived through it all somehow!!) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration