License plates conditions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: License plates conditions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:48 am:

Thinking of selling these 2 pair of plates. Question is, is it worth restoring them to get more $ or are they worth more in original condition? Iíll have prep materials, paint and my own time if I do decide to restore them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

If it were me I'd sell them like they are and let the buyer decide to restore them or keep them original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

Leave them. Let the next owner make that decision. They may be worth more to someone as found then restored. They may want them to put on a survivor. Just because you have paint, you need to correctly match what colors were used for the year. I am looking for plates for my Oregon 1925, the prices for nice original pairs are less then $100, half or less for singles. Check ebay sold prices and what has been selling there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Don't waste your time.

Those are common plates.

Because of their condition and high numbers, they're worth $15 to $20 each.

You won't get your money or time back if you restore them.

Things determine the value of license plates include:

- The number of surviving plates for a given year
- Condition
- The number of digits on the plate, i.e. a single digit plate is worth more than a two digit, a two digit is worth more than a three digit, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

Patina Patina Patina!
Leave them. They would look great on a barn find 1922 of any make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Unless realy rusty i use lemon oil and bees wax
As a protectant rub and brings the color back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

Those are good comments. However no matter what you do someone will want them the other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Plate collectors like them left alone. Most people that want them for a restored car, like the plate restored as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

Additionally,

Some State DMVs will not allow "restored" plates to be used. However, if you bring an "original" plate to them, and they approve it, when you get it home you can then "restore" it as you see fit.

Better to leave as is for numerous reasons - let the new owner decide.

Cheers !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

Here in Ga the prefers original tags when they are registered to a old vehicle. I do have a old restored tag on my 30 model A. It was on another model a that sat out for years and weathered so it looked original to the tag clerk and it passed. But I have a nice original for my 26 -27 cars. Original brings more money. Jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Matthiesen on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:07 am:

I would like to see a "thumbs up" field, so I can show my appreciation for great comments/suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:08 am:

Be careful of restoration jobs on plates from License plate collectors. I traded some plates to the largest collector in Colorado. The plates I got from him must have been done with water color paint because it didn't last but a few days on the front of one of my Ts. Apparently collectors don't care about water color paint because all they do is hang them on some wall. I jumped the guy that shows up at all the car swap meets as well as all the License plate swap meets. He apologized but that did nothing to help pay for my time sand blasting the plates and repainting them with automotive paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:33 am:

The Massachusetts RMV will not approve "restored" YOM plates. As was mentioned earlier, you can (not legally) restore them after approval. I have never heard of anyone being stopped for a too-legible plate. Here in Florida they will approve a restored plate - they even have a chart with the proper color combination for each year plate. You do have to send them to the DMV in Tallahassee for approval though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration