Folding the windshield on a 1915 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Folding the windshield on a 1915 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

I have recently acquired a very nice 1915 Touring my father owned and need to move it . To do so with the trailer I have I must fold the windshield. In the many years my dad owned the car I have never seen this done. It appears to be spring loaded and a good pull should fold it but am hesitant to just pull on it. What is the proper procedure for folding down the top half of the windshield. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

Spray some WD 40 inside the windshield hinges and start to slowly move it. It will eventually fold down. The hinges are spring loaded and will go down a notch at a time. You may have to loosen the nut so it will free up if it hasent been down for many years. It's just a little stiff over time from lack of lubrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

If the thing hasn't moved in many years, I'd loosen the nuts a bit so as to not force anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Can you send pictures of your windshield? You may have an "automatic" windshield. Does it have external springs on each side that are looped on small knobs on each half? The brand name "automatic" was era accessory that allowed the driver to grab the top frame of the windshield and bring it down toward the driver and remain in that position with the small springs to hold it. Moving it to the returned upright position, there are on each side where the springs connect a clip that locks the windshield in place. Just a thought, Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Garland-

Welcome!

The windshield hinge assembly for 1915 originally looked like this with a cotter pin:

It might have a castle nut, but remove the cotter pin, put a screwdriver on the opposite side and loosen the "nut." If you have this original funky round nut, please fabricate a spanner tool and avoid the temptation to use pliers or vice grips. Then give the spring loaded insides a shot on penetration fluid and lower it like the others suggest.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Thanks for the help. It was as I figured. Hinge looks like picture sent in this discussion. Will loosen nut some and get out the old reliable WD40. Will work on making a spanner to fit the round nut. Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

If the car has had good storage it shouldn't be stuck.

Grab the windshield frame at the top and pull back and and then down. Use two hands, one near each corner. Don't be afraid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

The windshield on my '15 Touring was very tight and difficult to move until I hit the hinges with WD-40. -Then it became quite easy. -Whatever you do, don't force anything. -Oh, by the way; do make sure you have safety glass instead of the original plate glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

It is safety glass. Remember having to get it changed for a tour. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 11:04 am:

\If you are unsure just remove the four machine screws and remove the top half. You can remove the remaining screws and service the hinge assembly popjpeg{830156,}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 11:08 am:

These are the four machine screws two on each side.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration