Cracked Hogshead, Worth Repairing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cracked Hogshead, Worth Repairing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

Picked up a tranny cover with a starter boss to use on my T, but after I had it sandblasted, found it was cracked, worth repairing, or find another ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

Forgot to ad pics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

I'd find another one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

Somebody either dropped it or threw it as there is no reason for that crack. To fix it will require grinding and pulling it back together so the pan holes align and you have a smooth surface to the pan and block. Usually the damage is a broken corner on a hogs head.

If you come to the lower part of MI just outside of Lansing I have some that I won't use and you can have one. There are 3 of that style in my garage and another one or 2 outside on the junk pile. I would not spend time to fix that and have oil leaks or break it again in the corner while bolting it down.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

You could probably get away with drilling holes either side of the crack. Grinding a shallow trough between the holes and pouring/beating lead into the holes & trough.
Fill the crack from the inside with flexible sealer (silicone?) and pretend it's not there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

It's wall art....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guy Forstrom, U. P. of Michigan on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks, pretty much what I figured, look for another

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

Post-1919 hogsheads aren't quite a dime a dozen, but they're pretty close to it. I'd get another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Guy, Stand back and throw that hogs head as far as you can into your junk pile. For quite some time I have been offering free hogs heads if coupled with another purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

Get another one gotta still be millions out there i had several earlier this year had give them away
Sorry i be to far ship anyway

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:18 am:

Spray weld it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Somewhere down the line it was dropped to have cracked like that. It could be repaired if need be but they are fairly common. If it were mine I would save it and get another one. There is probably more that's cracked in running cars than we realize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:00 am:

I would drill a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, then I would deeply "V" out the crack so it has a nice valley to fill with weld. Then take a long set of clamps and clamp it together tight. Slowly stitch weld it and hammer peen the welds as they cool, alternating from end to end in short sections until you meet in the middle. Grind down the weld flush to the original surface (The reason for a deep "V" is to give you plenty of weld below the original surface plane). Then sand or bead blast the casting, apply a good coat of self-etching primer and a couple of coats of the original colour Ford used on their engine assemblies. Be sure to add hardener to the paint to increase its gloss and durability.
After the paint has dried, and any imperfections have been touched-up, take it outside in the bright U.P. sunshine to admire he fruits of your labour.

Then toss it in the scrap pile and get a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:09 am:

After you do the welding as Dale states and if you tig welded it you can flip it over and walk the cup down the weld applying heat as you go to draw it all together.

If you mig welded it run another bead down the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:20 pm:

What wonderland do you live in where you can afford to throw them away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:16 am:

Kep,
I live in the "Winter Water Wonderland" -
as our license plates used to say- where this kind of stuff literally grows on trees!....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Wonder if it would be tossed if it came off a 09 or 10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 07:13 pm:

At least use it to practice welding cast iron.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration