Need info, ads, patent info ect for accessory wishbone/radius rod.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need info, ads, patent info ect for accessory wishbone/radius rod.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

I just aquired an unusual front radius rod that Im going to use on the speedster project. Has anyone seen this item before ?? It has a casting at the ball end that clamps to the two pipes going to the front axle. The two clamp bolts engage a notch in each pipe to keep the clamped ends from coming apart. I do not remember seeing this wishbone before, when I was looking for ads of the different items on my speedster. So any info/ads/ patent drawings/ect will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the sorry pics of the full views of the radius rods. They washed out, and its too late to go back to the shop (or Im getting lazier" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:06 pm:

This thing must be rare, no responces yet. :-):-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

I wonder why anyone would specifically want to get a take-apart set of radius rods? I mean, shipping would be cheaper but that wouldn't convince people to actually buy one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

Hi Donnie,

I had one or two of those. I am not sure if I still have one. I am sick now, but will look around for it when I feel better.

I always thought that it was a repair/replacement for a worn and no longer round radius rod ball. My two cents worth, perhaps overvalued. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

In either case it was discontinued about 1919, after Henry Ford was in an accident, with a car that had that type of a front axle and because of the type design.

One of his engineers had recommended that fix several years earlier and he was also in the same accident.

Fortunately, neither one was seriously injured.

I have the story here someplace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

It is a complete manufactured item. The casting with the ball fits onto the two "special" pipes that are tapered and have a "notch" for the clamp bolts. I agree with Tim as to wondering "why" it was needed, but most Model T accessories fit into the "why" category. The threaded end is also "special made". Its just a neat item, that Im going to use on the speedster. With my Laurel under-slinging brackets, and my "Common Sense" front radius rods I will not have any of the safety issues of the stock over the top radius rods. Im just hoping to find some info, such as ads, drawings, ect to add to my album of accessory items on my speedster ... Thanks .... have fun and be safe .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

Hi Donnie — curious about your "Common Sense" radius rods... could you please post photos/info?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Henry Ford and the Reason for the Radius Rod Upgrade

In the summer of 1914, I was walking across the Highland Park Garage. There were two cars standing in there. Mr. Ford waved to me and said, “Joe, get in here!”

I didn’t have any hat or coat on, but I got into the car, and I didn't get back to Detroit for three days. When we started out, I didn’t know where we were going.

We landed up in North Harbor Beach. Mr. Ford had a log cabin at Harbor Beach. Before we got up to the cottage, Mr. Ford stopped at the grocery store and bought some bacon, eggs and went over to a fish place where he got some fresh codfish. He bought a dozen or so perch and we then went out to his log cabin…

We stayed there for three days before we went back. The roads in those days were not very good. They were not gravel, but sand. Mr. Ford seemed to want to drive faster going home than he did coming up. He told the driver to step on it. When the driver wouldn’t go fast enough, he would grab the old Model T throttle so that the car was wide open.

I was about a hundred feet behind Mr. Ford and Frank Kulick. We came to a hill, and I thought his car was going too fast for a car in that sandy road. All at once, I saw the car going end for end, and Mr. Ford was dumped out in the ditch. Frank jumped out. He [Mr. Ford] didn’t get hurt other than a scratch on his face, but he was dazed a little bit. It is a wonder he didn’t break his neck.

Two of the boys went up to Maryland to get a new front unit. I stayed with Mr. Ford … They came back and changed the front axle. We found out that when the car hit that sand the front wheels had buckled. We drove back to Detroit.

We were late, and Mrs. Ford was worried about us and wondered what happened. I heard later that Mr. Ford never told her what happened. It was all kept very quiet. Nobody knew anything about it right up to the time Mr. Ford died. I said to myself, “There is one thing we have to got to do and that is fix that radius rod.” I made up a radius rod, which was holding the axle top and bottom, and made it about two and a half inches near the axle, all the man would have to buy was a new radius rod and a spring perch which supports the front spring.

I made about two dozen of these and put them out on the farm to make tests. I told Ray Dallinger to try to do everything he could do. “Drive in the sand head first. Drive into the bank and see what you can do with it. He could do anything with it and couldn’t even bend it.

Mr. Ford found out about two months later. I think somebody must have told him that Joe [Galamb] had a radius rod he couldn't bend. If I had told Mr. Ford about it when I first started to build it, it would have been alright. All Mr. Ford would let me do was increase the wall of the tubing … so that the front end was larger, and people wouldn’t see that there was any change. We sold twelve million cars after that with the old radius rod. When we changed over to the Model A, Mr. Ford let me change it then. That just shows how stubborn he was. He was practically killed with the old rod, but he still didn’t want it changed.

This is an old article, but I do not recall the source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

Chris, here is a link to my speedster project. A little less than 1/2 way down (aprox 50 pictures down)in the thread are some pictures of the Common Sense radius rods.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/603440.html?1487043839

Here is a copy of the ad for the Common Sense radius rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 03:26 am:

Thank you Donnie, much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:32 pm:

Mr. Ford found out about two months later. I think somebody must have told him that Joe [Galamb] had a radius rod he couldn't bend. If I had told Mr. Ford about it when I first started to build it, it would have been alright. All Mr. Ford would let me do was increase the wall of the tubing … so that the front end was larger, and people wouldn’t see that there was any change. We sold twelve million cars after that with the old radius rod. When we changed over to the Model A, Mr. Ford let me change it then. That just shows how stubborn he was. He was practically killed with the old rod, but he still didn’t want it changed.

Except that the radius rod was moved to under the axle in 1919 which is not covered. What he is talking about sounds like what was put on Model A's, Y shape end that the perch goes thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Donnie

Here is one above the axle aftermarket wishbone. Doesn't appear to have that coupling feature as yours. The ad copy reads "brazed ball".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

Dan, its close to mine on the threaded end. Mine appears to be a threaded rod pressed into the end of a straight pipe, and then the rod and pipe were bent as a unit to secure the threaded rod.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration