Brass Radiator Cap Value?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brass Radiator Cap Value?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

I would like to list the brass radiator cap pictured, but as someone new to model Ts, I am not sure of the value.
I think it's original, but not positive.
Can someone help?

Thank you,
Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

$18.95 new from Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard H.Miller on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Snyders sell new brass caps $16.00 to $20.00 not sure what an original would cost. I hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Steve,

Is the one pictured a repro?

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Hi Gene,

I do think that the pictured cap IS a repro. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

Gene, caps with that shape on the "ears" are usually stamped. Yours looks to be cast, so is probably a reproduction.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

it's a repop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:36 am:

Here's the real banana....$12.00 with the radiator neck. Most of the nickle was gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Ford never made that radiator cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:10 am:

Both caps I have look like the one Gary posted above. I've never seen a heavy cast brass cap like the OP showed, but it looks odd compared to original stamped caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Oh well, it's a stamped cap with a spun filler neck. I assumed it was an original , I shall defer to the experts. I had a cast cap on my 26 roadster, and a cast filler neck. Both repro's I know for certain. Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:49 am:

Gary,

Yours is original. They're responding to the original poster's cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:50 am:

The cast caps are reproductions.

The stamped caps are original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Here are some pics of mine - is it correct for a 1910 and do you think it's original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Thin, high vane, looks right, and "weathered" enough to be a survivor. Is it a casting ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:31 am:

How can you tell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:48 am:

Bill: Castings are typically thicker and have a rougher surface. Can be left as is or polished. Porosity or “pits” are sometimes present as well.

Stampings on the other hand are typically thinner and the inner/outer surfaces will be smooth from the die surfaces.

I purchased a good original stamped brass radiator cap at Chickasha last year for $5.00.

(Message edited by AzBob on January 22, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:48 am:

Bill, yours looks original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

I have a nickel plated like the first one pictured. It came with a good flat tube radiator I bought. It was a cast repro. A dead giveaway for a repo is the thickness and the weight. Maybe the stamped caps would be harder to tool up to make them.

I guess all the repo caps sold these days are cast because they are cheaper to make?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

Gary, your stamped cap is an early incarnation of that type. Later caps had taller ears. I don't know when the change was made, but if your cap was nickel plated, the change came after 1917.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 04:44 am:

Thanks Allan!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration