After 63 years....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: After 63 years....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:18 pm:

Henrietta runs again!
It was 100 degrees here yesterday, not the weather to be hand cranking a model T, So Anthony suggested I hit the starter button. Well, that worked, but after a few cranks on the choke, the cleaned out original NH was spewing out fuel and we could not stop it.
So I fitted a known good spare. Got an immediate kick first try. Adjusted the throttle and gave it just a dab of choke, and she burst into life! I set her at a good idle and adjusted the mixture screw and just stood and listened. No water leaks, no more fuel leaks, no manifold or exhaust leaks,
no signs of any miss firing, and not a rattle anywhere to be heard. I was amazed.
Just for kicks, I switched her to run on mag, and she never missed a beat!!!!
She is on wheels, so later today I may get the chance to see if she'll drive. I know the trans brake works, and top gear makes her hard to push. Fingers crossed!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

Allen, I know your joy.
Have fun and may Henrietta give you those moments that make you smile.
r/s Bob in the far north of California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:48 am:

Congrats..... enjoy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:08 am:

Hi Allan.

I started the ex SA Duncan and Fraser 1915 on Saturday. Only 22 years in storage not as long as your 63 years. Gee Wizz it was put in storage when I was 12 months old!!!

I too had issues with the carby but it does run and will play its part for the owners Daughters Wedding on Feb 3rd

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:08 am:

Good on you Allan !! And thank you for sharing the elation and sense of accomplishment and success you mustíve felt. Thatís what fuels our hobby!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:10 am:

Allan,

That's great! There is something really special about starting the T after it has been sleeping for a long time.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

Awesome Allan!
I built my 1915 T a few years ago using an engine that had been "rebuilt" and then thrown in a corner where it supposedly sat for "20 years".

At first the darned thing refused to start! Then a couple of old Model T hill billy friends of mine were sitting around the fire pit and said "come on"!

So back to the T barn we went. They pulled the spark plugs, poured a small amount of oil in each cylinder, and away she went!! After burning all the oil out she needed the standard fine tuning but today I get free starts regularly.

By the way, it was rebuilt with 40 over pistons and the valve rod cavity had zero debris in it when we checked it before trying to start it. I DID get lucky with that engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Great news. It's wonderful getting an old machine to breathe life again. I could always get and old T engine going, which is why it was so confusing that my rebuilt engine on this last T was so difficult to start. Maybe like John's experience above it had very low compression. As soon as I put a few ounces of oil in each cylinder there was enough compression to get her going. Now it starts with any configuration [mag or battery ... starter or crank] very easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 01:29 pm:

Fantastic ! We would like a video too :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration