Wheel alingment toe in which is the best way to do it 26/7 roadster p/u

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wheel alingment toe in which is the best way to do it 26/7 roadster p/u
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 03:22 am:

Hi folks iam about to do a toe in and out of my 26/7 t
roadster p/u which is the best way to go about it.
Cheers Gerry D N/Z

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:22 am:

Gerry.
When I do my toe in I mark the centre of both front tyres with chalk and with a biro make a mark. Roll the vehicle backwards and when the marks are at 9 O’clock take a measurement, then roll the car forward till the marks are at 3 o’clock and take another measurement. You are looking for a 1/8 to 1/4” toe in so adjust as required.
We will be in NZ in April to catch up with Tom Stevens! Can’t wait !!
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:53 am:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG104.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Measure the distance between the tires at the front of the wheels and at half the wheel height, and mark on both tires the spot where you measured from. Then roll the car forward or backward until the marks are at the back of the wheel, and measure again between the same marks. Marking and measuring from the same spots eliminates errors if the wheels are not perfectly true (most Ts).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:15 am:

If you keep a forward motion in the operation, it will keep all of the "slack" out of the system. In other words, roll it forward to take the "slack" out, measure the front marks. Roll it forward until the marks are in the back, and measure again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:50 am:

Stretch a carpenter's string around all four wheels just above the hubcaps. It's a helpful indicator / point of reference when measuring toe-in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:57 am:

I spin the wheels, and scribe a mark on the tread surface with a screwdriver. This takes the run out out of the equation. You can use soapstone or a crayon as well. Then I get one of the kids to hold the dumb end of the tape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Spin the wheels and mark, set the car back down the set toe in. Seems to track just fine. As long as you mark the center line of the wheel you should not be off that much. You only have one adjustment, are working with fine threads and must turn the adjuster 360 one way or the other in or out. Like adjusting the clutch fingers, you only have X amount of a window you can adjust in. If you had a set up like Model A's, left and right hand thread at each end, you could mico adjust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Gerry, I made a handy spring loaded gage out of aluminum tubing to Tony Wilthsire’s design. Works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyizi47vsKQ&feature=youtu.be

(Message edited by AzBob on January 22, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:45 pm:

I do it this way :
093S
094M
095S
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

(Message edited by AzBob on January 22, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

Here a better picture
094M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

Easy to make handy gage for checking and adjusting toe in.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration