Drop A Band Nut? Not A Problem. Useful Garage Info. 56 Progress

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Drop A Band Nut? Not A Problem. Useful Garage Info. 56 Progress
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:04 am:

A local mechanic dropped a band nut working on his own T. He had a flexible magnet he bought from his Snap-On dealer. He retrieved the nut instantly with it. The collar slides down over the magnet if desired so that only the tip is magnetized. Purchase price is $16.

Another tool I find extremely useful is a Milwaukee quarter inch impact driver. I first bought one four years ago to put a metal roof on two of my buildings. Since then I use it constantly. There are many attachments you can get for it even a complete drill set. The metal roof screws will drill through body panels and make very easy useful clamps. When done just remove them and weld the whole up.

Another very useful product for the garage are interlocking floor mats, that schools use in play areas. They keep the cold and moisture from radiating off the concrete floor and have cut my heating cost. They make working a lot easier on your ankles and feet, not to mention if you have to get on your knees. They are also fire resistance.

I keep my mig welder in a small kids wagon. Makes it easy to move around the shop and into my other buildings.

The 56 is progressing. I replaced the left rear quarter last week. The original was pretty good, but had a few spots coming through. They were very fixable, but I had a NOS quarter panel and wanted to use that instead. I was very careful removing the old one so if necessary it could be used again. The new quarter fit like a glove, which says a lot for the quality of genuine Ford parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:26 am:

These didn't post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:37 am:

Great post for a new guy like me.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

Dan - I hope "the boy" and his little brother are charging G'pa a significant rental fee for the use of their little stake side Radio Flyer wagon! .......harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Cordless tools are priceless!
Holy cats! Replacing the fender really opened up that automobile.
My second Berlin Flyer wagon is full of model T parts.
Great ideas and progress on your 56!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:21 am:

Glad you guys liked the post. Hopefully it will save someone from tearing an engine down to remove a dropped nut.
Harold, not to worry, I traded them a larger, much older one for it. Older as in much better and stronger built.
Duey, it really does open it up. There were some pin holes in the inner panels, taking the quarter off made them a lot more accessible to repair. The hardest part was removing all the welds without destroying the old quarter panel. I was really surprised at how perfect the new one fit, not one alignment problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:30 am:

Same stamping dies for perfect fit Dan! :-) Ya?
My son is faced with similar issues with his 12 year newer, really low mileage, PumpJack rag top sled. Frame issues also.
I sure wish he'd get them sorted so he can devote some time to his/our/my late model T light open delivery engine! :-)
What's the odometer say on your Ford?
Side note from your other thread: I found that original '76 painting of my grand parents house. It hangs right in my living room! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:15 am:

Duey- Not necessarily. there were a lot of dies and of course they would get worn. This panel was probably made in the late 50's to early 60's. So you're talking it has been kicking around between 50 and 60 years. It does have many dings in it to show this. I was surprised at how well it fit.
The odometer reading is impossible to say. Some idiot had made a hot rod out of this, the dash along with everything else was screwed up. This is the 5th car that I have restored after some hot rodder had screwed it up. It had a 390 with a 4 speed in it. They cut the complete transmission tunnel out of it, which was not necessary to do this. That transmission tunnel supports the cowl, which is very important in a convertible. When they did that, the whole cowl dropped back, which of course messed up the door alignment. Luckily with all the parts cars I have I was able to cut one out of those to repair this. Fortunately I found another 56 Ford with low miles (30,000) on it but was all rotted out. I was able to use the whole drive line and dash board for this one.
Glad you found that original painting of your grandparents house. You really should post a picture of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Duey- This was the original paint scheme on my car. I will probably go back with this color. It will look like this, minus the taxi cab bumper guards, fog lights and continental kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:54 am:

Thanks for the info on the flex magnet Dan! I'm gonna get one asap, just hope I'll never need to use it! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:02 am:

Such talent...and determination...AND perseverance.

Nice to have visited with you Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Tim, I agree. I'm keeping one in the trailer as well.
David, we enjoyed visiting you also.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration