Engine/hogshead to oil pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Engine/hogshead to oil pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

On a 26 engine.

1. Would like to know, engine/hogshead to oil pan bolts. Do they all have castle nuts on them including the oil pan corner supports?

2. There are 2 bolts under the starter which bolt directly into the hogshead. What size bolts are they?

If I missed something please let me know! Looking to secure engine/hogshead to oil pan with the proper bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

All engine and trans. cover to crankcase bolts are 3/8-24 x a couple different lengths - by '26 I believe Ford was utilizing lock washers and a standard nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

I do not disagree with, "Utilizing a standard lock washer and standard nut", it may be true. If you look at parts catalogs there exist, for example, bolts for the cylinder valve cover which states, August 1926 to 1927. It seems as though August within the 26/27 year is crucial. Could before August have castle nuts while after August have hex nuts?

I don't know! Maybe, I am over engineering this.

I was looking at all sorts of pictures of 26 engines. However, can not distinguish what style of hardware was on engine.

My computer skills are awful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

Lock washers instead of cotter pins, Dec 1924. The castle nuts still used. Just no more cotters!

Many photos in the Ford Service (late 1924 first issue) show lockwashers and describe lock washers.

Paragraph 329 Ford Service "...remaining crankcase bolts are then inserted, and lockwashers and nuts run down and tightened."

FEB 2, 1925 Acc. 94, (“Bolts, Nuts, etc.” folder)
Letter from W.C. Klann to Martin and Howard:
“On Dec. 2nd, 1924 Mr. Martin and Mr. Galamb O.K.’d
building motors with no cotter keys in the bolts but using
lock washers instead in the crankcase, transmission cover
and cylinder block assembly only. Why not put this on the
blue print? Please advise.”

15,000,000 engine, but has cotters! Guess the fellas at the new River Rouge plant wanted to do it Henry's way :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

This is Service Bulletin, 1925 for the Improved Car, pretty clearly shows hex nuts, no more castle nuts on the crankcase bolts. Might be graphic illustrator, but if so, the artist knew. :-)

Think that is proper for the Improved Car, hex nuts and lock washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

John, there are three bolts into the starter area of the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

John, been corrected!
Dan, on page 353 of Model T Essentials, Ford Service Bulletin is your diagram. Had to use magnifying glass to see. lolol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 07:48 pm:

May not apply to US built cars but my 27 Canadian built touring motor had never been apart and all oil pan bolts, except those going in under the starter, had castellated nuts and cotter pins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Dave, including the, "oil pan corner support"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:39 am:

John, I'm not sure. I am in FL right now but the T is back home in Canada. I can look when I get home in May.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:58 am:

Your statement - "I do not disagree with, "Utilizing a standard lock washer and standard nut", it may be true. If you look at parts catalogs there exist, for example, bolts for the cylinder valve cover which states, August 1926 to 1927. It seems as though August within the 26/27 year is crucial. Could before August have castle nuts while after August have hex nuts?

I believe your reference regarding the above is that was when the v.c. stud & nut was replaced with a bolt. Whatever nuts you choose to use, be consistent.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration