1981 Montana 500 home movies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1981 Montana 500 home movies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Kinda bad quality, but somewhat interesting from a historical aspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT115W4pQIA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

Hey Tom,

That might describe some folks I know

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Danmark on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

It is an old 8 mm movie with no original sound, but here someone have been smart enough to have someone speak and comment what and in particular WHO we see on the footage.
That way it becomes a historic artefact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 01:46 am:

Great viewing Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 07:04 am:

An amazing archival piece. Iíve never seen so many roadsters in one place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

I love the clip at :30 seconds where the guy backs his roadster off the trailer without any ramps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:24 am:

The guy that bought that car had a rear axle break, not surprisingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:42 am:

Hey Don is still around and in our club. I saw Tilman in there too. He founded the Tilman Tigers. Thanks Tom. Just curious where you got the video from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Doug, I got it from Don. I was wondering about Don and have tried to call him a couple of times in the past few days. Just got the answering machine. Glad to hear he is all right.

Here is a picture of Eddy Hencz's car some twenty years after he banged it off the trailer (which was his M.O. at the time).

(Message edited by tom_carnegie on January 24, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:23 pm:

Seeing how bunched up some were at times, at the speeds they were going, hope they had really good brakes! :-)
Liked the background music and the commentator sounded like one of those films from the 50's or 60's akin to Walt Disney films. Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

Notice how many of the Drivers had cigarettes hanging out of their mouths upon take-off !

Great film and I recognize a few of the guys !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

Mark, back then, in the days before spreadsheets, each car had a starting and an ending time, with lunch and coffee breaks subtracted out. So, by the end of the day, cars that were fairly evenly matched would tend to bunch up. In 1977, I had a fast car and a low number, so I passed everyone and was out in front all by myself. I would be flagged into town, gas up, and sit and wait for the prescribed time, then head to the other side of town where I would be flagged out again. Most of the day, I never saw another driver. Nowadays, they have spreadsheets that make calculating the time easy. The cars are flagged out from each stop in one-minute intervals. This is better on a number of levels. It helps to keep the cars from bunching up, plus the fast cars get to see all of the slow cars as they come into town.

As far as safety and brakes and such, this event has been going on for 57 years without serious incident. I know of one situation where the car in front had the engine suddenly seize. The car following closely behind steered around the front car safely. The front car skidded safely to a stop along side of the road.

Doug, do you recognize the voice on the video? I am certain it is not Don, as I know his voice. For instance, Don pronounces Tillman's name OH-blander (as I believe Tillman did) not AW-blander as the announcer did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:17 pm:

Tom:

Yes, Don still tries to go to the monthly local Model T Ford meetings. You may need to try a few times calling him, as I sometimes have a problem, in that he does not answer the telephone all the time. He has a person living with him now to watch over him.

The doctors have limited his driving and I think that did not make him happy. I would just keep trying to call him and perhaps he will pick up the telephone when he hears it ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Tom:

I do not know who the voice on the video is. Did Don send it to you with the voice on the video? If so let me know and I will ask him next week when we go to the monthly Model T Ford meeting.

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 02:28 am:

Thanks for the info Arnie. I got the tape from Don with the narration on it. I always assumed it was Clem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Tom, Those all are some very cool videos. I think I got hooked last night for hours...

Seemed like back then there were lots of spectators compared to lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 11:43 am:

Gene that might be because most of the drivers were from Montana back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

I think the line that struck me was, "Fred Upshaw is up in years. I think he's about 75 now."

I'm 76..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, January 29, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

Based on that comment "Fred Upshaw is up in years. I think he's about 75 now." that narration must have been done close to when the footage was filmed. I believe Fred was born in 1906, if I remember correctly. In the footage I see Lewis Rector and Carl Bergman who were both older than Fred, if I am not mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

Tom:

I talked to Don yesterday and he said the voice on the video is his dads, Clem Englmann who passed away a number of years ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

Thank-you Arnie for the leg-work. I sure hope Don's home movies don't get lost. The MCCTA (Montana 500 club) offered to digitize his Montana 500 home movie collection, but he didn't take them up on the offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 09:08 am:

I didn't see any Fordor sedans or TT trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Bodine on Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 11:30 pm:

TOM:

Fantastic.

I saw a lot of people who were/are mutual friends of ours. I remember well seeing Clem and Don at Eddy Hencz's house around the time of the 500 and the Livingston 4th of July Model T race. Clem and Don would always bring and show the previous years movies. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 05, 2018 - 06:28 am:

I met Tilman Oblander(kind of :-)) in the early or mid '80's here in Mound City MO., which is on I 29. I was coming home from work when I saw a guy with a T roadster on a trailer behind a motor home. He had the hood up on the motor home and was parked in front of a local repair shop. I stopped and looked at his T and tried to start a conversation, explaining that I was a T guy. (didn't have one at that time) He was working on something on the motor home and was in no mood to carry on a conversation, so I left. At the time, I hadn't even heard of the MT. 500, or him, but I remember seeing his name on the car. I'm sure he was headed up there then. Wish I would have stuck around for a bit. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

Neil, I don't know of, and I don't believe a sedan has ever been entered into the MT 500. Coupes have. In fact Jon Bodine and I have both entered a coupe. TT's are not allowed to compete as they don't have 3.63 rear ends.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration