OUCH - Coker shipping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OUCH - Coker shipping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:09 pm:

Bought a tube from Coker. It was cheap enough at $14.95. Shipping was staggering - $12.94. Makes me leery of further dealings, but it was the best price I could find. Is this usual??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

Did it come UPS? Folks have to understand that the cost to ship parts is not related to the cost of the part. An empty UPS envelope costs about $8.00 to ship. Shipping charges are a result of the freight company paying their employees, fueling the trucks, paying insurance and etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

This may not be a real cure, but when I've encountered that, I bought an extra tube or two. It didn't increase the shipping any, but made the total "per tube" cost more agreeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

The shipping on EBAY is totally obscene. I buy a lot of stuff there and apparently some sellers either use their own shipping costs or say shipping free and boost the buy it now up to item cost and reasonable shipping cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

That's why we buy tires when we drive to Hershey when possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

I found something on Amazon that may have worked, but wasn't going to chance it - it was a 90/100-21 motorcycle tube. With Amazon Prime that would have shipped free. I know nothing is free, but it seems that some folks make money on shipping AND the item. It is coming Fedex (their choice) and ground (my choice).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Terry, you did well. I had two free catalogs from a west coast firm sent to Australia. They packed them in a foot square box stuffed with newspaper, and it cost me just over $50 in postage!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

Terry, the motorcycle tube may have been a correct size, but most have valve stems too short to go through the felloe far enough to get a tyre chuck onto the stem. The last time I looked a machined brass valve extension used on some truck tyres was $12.50

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Terry, shipping a items today is expensive. A USPS med Flat Rate box cost to ship $14.00 UPS is close to that costs So what are complaining about??? So why don't you drive over there yourself and pick it up and see what it costs you for your time and gas..talk about a complaining
I just bought 100' of 1/0 cotton covered battery cable to make for you T people and the shipping was $55.00 well guess what? you who get the price increase you guys....so that the way it is the real world of shipping prices...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:44 pm:

Tim- that is a normal shipping chg for a 2lb pkg shipped by ups by Coker or any other shipper. You will get a good heavy duty tube from Coker. The motorcycle tube may not be had enough hold up to the stress of a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

I meant Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Guys
UPS increased their shipping rates before Christmas and USPS increased their shipping rates today. I shipped a floor mat today (not T) and it cost $42 from Calif to WI using UPS ground. And that was with a commercial account discount!
The days of cheap shipping are long past. Be happy if a small box only costs you $12 to 18 bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

I still sell parts on eBay and shipping has went up enough that it's easier and as cheap for most things to ship priority 2-3 day. I live near Cokers and they have things in stock most dealers don't have for our old cars. I buy all tires for my old cars from them. Them seem like honest people that are very involved in the car world.jmho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

Shipping is just high now..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

Order onl8ne summit been doing it for few years many tires tubes later.
Free shipping direct from coker
They carry all of coker producta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

Yesterday (Thursday), I ordered a set of new Firestone 4.40/4.50-21 tires from Coker. They got here today in less than 24 hours. Shipping was free because they are currently running a special on Firestones.

No complaints here on Coker Tire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Coker has a lot more to worry about than shipping! First of all, they need to learn how to have a good quality tube made, like they used to. Second, their rubber stem tubes will not fit through a wood felloe. Third, their brass stem tubes are not correct for any Model T. Should I go on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Shipping of parts & cars is taking place in 2018

Not 1918
Not 1968
Not 2008

If you think ANYONE is making money on shipping ....

Go look at a National Weather Map

Then check the price of #2 diesel at the pump

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

Usually when I ship things sold on ebay, I always feel bad about charging so much for shipping. As a result, I'm always shocked when I mail something at the PO and I almost always lose money.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration