Postal Shipping Recommendations

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Postal Shipping Recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 06:12 pm:

A few years ago, the USPS lost the only thing that I can remember that was important; but it was irreplaceable. It was the only photo of my Mom in her brand new 1927 Model T coupe that I had. I had sent it and a story to the editor of the MTFCI magazine for publication and the USPS lost it. I was ignorant for not making a copy and instead, sent in the original.

Fast forward to a week or two ago, The postman delivered a package to the address of my rented office warehouse. It was raining and I wasn't there, so he just left it by the door. It contained a set of original (not reproduction) NOS 26-27 wire wheel hub caps which are made slightly different than the reproductions. Because I, again, ignorantly didn't have the shipper ask for a signature upon delivery, they were left unprotected. When I saw confirmation that they had been delivered, I drove my 30 minute drive from my house to retrieve them. When I got there, someone had taken the package; it was nowhere to be seen or found. I complained to the USPS and they said it wasn't their fault because no signature was required. I have inquired of every renter of a warehouse in the complex, and nobody has it. My fear is that probably kids took it, but whoever did, probably just threw them in a dumpster after seeing that they had no value to them and didn't recognize what they were.
My recommendation to all, is insure and specify a signature upon delivery, and in the case of photos and family heirlooms, don't send the originals, if at all possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

A story often repeated, sadly. I have had similar experiences twice. Sorry to read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

I'll add that if the item you're shipping isn't store bought, and you don't have a receipt for it, postal insurance is worthless. If they lose it you are SOL. VOE. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

I know what you're saying, I hear it often. Over the last ten years of so, I've shipped something over 500 packages via USPS. Some large, some small. Some heavy, some light. I've never had one that wasn't delivered just like it was sent. I had one travel around the midwest for a couple of extra days, but it finally made it.

As for you hubcaps, I'd blame the carrier and not the USPS in total. Also, I hear that insurance is of no value as they will make up all sorts of stories to keep from paying. I almost always insure, but have never had a claim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:17 pm:

I've never had a loss with FedEx. I guess that I can specify them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

All shippers screw up. They will all pay for losses that they deem to be their fault if it is insured, or under their non-insured blanket. Have a receipt or proof of value. Don't say irreplaceable, as UPS at least sees that as non-insurable or a set-up for fraud.
If you are shipping 2 different valuable items in one box DON'T use the post office!! If one item is damaged or lost and the other item is fine, the post office wants you to surrender the items you received to be reimbursed. With the post office its all or nothing on domestic claims. No partial payments Learned that the hard way.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

And on the lighter side...........I was in the post office today and saw a lady standing beside a mail box talking directly into an opened envelope. Curious as to her intent, I asked what she was doing, to which she said " shhhh, I'm trying to send a voice mail".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

One other thing about Fedex; they now have Fedex One Rate, similar to USPS Flat Rate. There are a few box sizes. I realized just a little too late I could have sent a st of transmission drums this way (2 or 3 day service) for less then I paid for Fedex Ground. It's worth checking into that service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

You pushed My button,USPS usually delivers the question is WHERE ? to the address on the package or ten buck too, They delivered a amazon package that was intended for a mailbox a hundred yards down the road, but they dropped the package off half way there behind a locked gate to a grass trail going to my hay barn with no mail box or address, the package got rained on before a neighbor jogging called to tell me there was a package out in the rain at the gate. and last but no least back in the 60s one of my wedding invitation was delivered a year later. Terry don't guess there is any chance of finding the original negative ? There are some pretty good sketch artists like the police use, that could draw a pretty good picture of your Mom and her model T if You can describe the scene and a plus would be a Picture of the car and one of your Mom,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:16 am:

Jim, My mother passed about 10 years ago, and the contents of her house, including hundreds of pictures were divided up between my older brother, older sister, and I. The picture that I had was the only one of her and her Model T. To make the story even more special, she WON the car in a raffle drawing at the local Ford dealer, Katy Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:36 am:

Terry,

I know how special photo's can be as I am missing a few from of the family but that is a whole different story that I won't go into.

Maybe there is a chance that since your mother won the car from a dealer they took promotional pictures and posted them in the newspaper. You may want to search at the library or on line of past newspaper articles from the time period to see if a picture exists. If Katy Motor Company still exists they may have a copy and if not check with local historians for leads. I can't speak for him but Rob Heyen is the forum expert on finding old newspaper clippings so perhaps he can provide some helpful tips on how to find them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:54 am:

Date/Time
Activity Location
1/22/2018 - Monday
7:16 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST KENT, WA

1/20/2018 - Saturday
4:05 am Departed FedEx location TROUTDALE, OR

1/19/2018 - Friday
2:49 pm Arrived at FedEx location TROUTDALE, OR

1/17/2018 - Wednesday
9:47 pm In transit GLENDIVE, MT

10:35 am Departed FedEx location SAINT PAUL, MN

2:56 am Arrived at FedEx location SAINT PAUL, MN

1/16/2018 - Tuesday
10:16 pm Left FedEx origin facility MANKATO, MN

7:30 pm Arrived at FedEx location MANKATO, MN

1:42 pm Picked up MANKATO, MN

9:20 am In FedEx possession NORTH MANKATO, MN

Tendered at FedEx location
1/15/2018 - Monday
10:25 am Shipment information sent to FedEx

FedEx sucks! Troutdale Oregon is a Hub and also is in the Portland Or Metro area, Kent Washington is not. :-( I will stick with USPS and UPS. Portland Oregon is also a regional USPS hub so why it would go to Kent Washington, only they know! I live less then 20 miles from Troutdale, so close. LOL

(Message edited by redmodelt on January 23, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:18 am:

“Fedex Smartpost” is a cooperative between USPS & FedEx ground. At some points the package you tracked was handled by FedEx, and at some points was handled by USPS. This is sort of a “bottom of the barrel” shipping service, often used by big merchants who offer “free shipping”. You do get what you pay for...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:37 am:

Even some UPS packages going to rural ares get delivered by USPS. I understand the co-op between FedEx and USPS. The smart post didn't show up till it got to Kent, which is a suburb in the Seattle area north of Portland Or. Seems to me the more times it is handled and transported the higher the cost incurred by the shipping company in getting it to it's destination. :-) I guess the $8 (If I had the option I could have payed a bit more and had it here in 3 days) shipping gets absorbed in volume.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 11:45 am:

Perhaps FedEx just wanted to show all the hubs the pretty box your item was packed in! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

^LOL :-)
The box certainly gets to travel more then I do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john pawlowski - NE Pennsylvania on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 03:34 pm:

I just ordered an item from Amazon a few weeks back. It was packaged in one of those vinyl type envelopes, small item. Amazon shipped using Fedex and provided tracking number and gave me an estimate of delivery in 3 days.. Well, item shipped out of Philadelphia according to track information. Not bad since I live in Pennsylvania. Checked tracking next day,my package was on its way to Washington state! Received package a week after originally promised, I'm sure not original

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

OMG^ Now that is bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Not shipping related but a note on family pictures. When my dad passed I found a very nice professional photo album with pictures of about 40 people. Cicra, I believe, about late 1890s. I believe they were from my dad's mother's side of the family but none of the pictures have any annotation of who the people are. Likely my grandmother's grand parents, uncles, aunts, etc. These would be a real family treasure if someone had taken the time to annotate them. I've spent a lot of time this winter going through a few hundred family photos identifying the subjects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Oh I got the package today! :-) It is a Simmons Super Power carb. Missing the flapper and needle valve.

Mom has been doing the picture thing, putting them in albums with notes on who and when. I can be a big job.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration