Oil Gauge ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Oil Gauge ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

Can anyone tell me the brand of this oil gauge and how does it work?

Oil GaugeOil Gauge 2Oil Gauge 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

That's an AKURET oil indicator. Mounts in place of lower petcock. Holed drilled in the passenger splash shield, and the tube sticks up slightly. Pull out the 'dip stick' and read the oil level.

Birdhaven/Texas T makes this repro of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

This one is not the same . The dipstick in the picture is pulled out as far as it will go. The oil would have to defy gravity and travel to the top of the tube to read full (F)
There is a 1/8" NPT nipple 3 inches long sticking out the side and there is also an 1/8" NPT hole tapped in the bottom of the elbow. If you will notice the tube going up to the dipstick has what looks like a 3/32" vent hole about 5/8" above the brass nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, January 22, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Burgess oil gauge. When I get a moment I should snap a photo of the original box. Made to come up directly through the floor boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Ok Andy,
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:25 am:

Andy, I or one would love to see photos of the box and any other paperwork you have on the gauge. It's a new one to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

I haven't taken it apart but I sure would like to know how it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Could have a float at the bottom, when the engine is not running it shows the oil level. When it is running it is pulled down, like most site gauges which have a vent at their tops, when the engine is running the oil is pulled out of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Only,
The vent hole is at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Only,
The vent hole is at the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

I would guess it has a leather or rubber seal at the bottom like a tire pump that keeps the oil in the larger tube and it acts like a float that rises with the oil and shows a reading on the top gauge. I see no seal at the top and a running motor would at some point push oil up that tube and out into the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:35 pm:

It would be above the float and oil level in the engine, good point. Pulling the tube off the base would allow us to see what is inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

I can't seem to post pictures, I hate this antiquated format. Who can I send them to so they can do it. I have to make them so small to make them work, that an ant would look humongous next to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Send them to me Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:36 am:

I still don't understand how this thing works. Am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:37 am:

What is the bottom port for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:43 am:

Very simple, hole in the bottom lets oil in, when you pull the dip stick up that piston part at the bottom of the dipstick passes the hole and an go only as far as the oil allows up in the large tube. The calibration at top of the dipstick are IAW with the length of that lower large tube the pistons runs in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

The 1/8" hole in the very bottom serves as a vent to let air in and out for the piston cup to freely travel up and down the bore without creating a vacuum or air pressure which would inhibit the free motion of the gauge.
The 1/8" nipple screws into the lower hole in the oil pan and the oil seeks it's level inside the brass tube above the piston cup at the bottom of the gauge rod. When you lift up on the gauge the piston cup, which is below the oil level, rises in the brass tube until the oil is compressed between the piston cup and the top of the tube causing the gauge rod to stop, the higher the oil level the less the gauge will travel up. The lower the oil level the higher the gauge will lift before compressing the oil and thus stopping the gauge and showing a lower level of oil.
Pretty ingenious method of checking the oil level.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration